Just threw p0171

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Mad Mallard, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

And less than 24 hours before I fly, and then drive out of town when I get back.

been driving with v1 AP stage 2 generic 91 oct for more than 30,000 miles, and no new mods for even longer.

heck, that axle boot was the last thing that got swapped.

Where in the world do I start to get this code cleared?

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Mad Mallard

of course, but my concern is that the code isn't happening for no reason. :/

<reads the link>

well I have some CRC MAF cleaner...

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've had random 'ghost' codes pop up before as well. cleared the code and it never came back. It could have gotten one random bad reading and threw the code.

Also with all the pollen, it's possible (although not likely) that some of the pollen could have passed through your filter and hit the MAF

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

i had that very same code pop up once when i had to drive around without a tune on my vf30, cleared it and it never came back.

6. Mad Mallard

So when i drove up to Nashville, it came back after doing a MAF cleaning before i left.

I bugged SS for a bit a the shop while I was out running errands, and he suggested the o2 going out cuz of my high miles. Said I should get some data logging.

With Romraider, can i use the datalogging stand alone just to log while I'm using cobbs's tunes?

and will any usb-to-serial do?

7. SUBY_RUE

SUBY_RUE Member

DTC P0172 - SYSTEM TOO RICH (BANK 1)

Alldata says, check for exhaust leaks, fuel pressure, intake system and coolant temp sensor...

8. Mad Mallard

one digit off, brah. Running too lean.

9. Unidub

Unidub Member

Im having the same issue.. Im not trying to thread jack.. But I was pulling into my driveway and my car stalled.
    Check engine came on P0171 (too lean)
    The cars idle is really low and stalls out.
    Checked all vacuum hoses, fuel hoses. Everything is connected and secured.
    I cleaned the MAF and cleared the codes.
    The problem still persists.
    Im thinking maybe the o2 sensor on the up-pipe.
    Does anyone have the capability of logging? That could pinpoint the issues a little more.
    Boost stays at -5.8 to -5.6 while idling
    Mods - stage 2
    3in turbo back / hks catback.

Mallard let me know if you solve your problem..

10. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Just out of curiosity did you both spray up inside the tube in the MAF sensor or just clean the outside element?

11. Mad Mallard

SS asked that too. As far as I could tell, I soaked everything but the elec plug socket, i just wiped that out with a couple q-tips.

12. Unidub

Unidub Member

I only cleaned the outside.
    Maybe ill spray the inside also.
    Also, is it at all possible to switch the rear o2 sensor with the front o2?

13. Mad Mallard

14. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

I was reading through the subaru manual and it says the diagnosis for the 171 cel is the same as the 172. Check exhaust leaks, check O2 sensor, then check fuel pressure. It seems like if there isn't a performance change during this CEL than it has to be the O2 sensor, is that a good assumption? Just wondering, because I haven't felt a performance change at all during my CEL.

15. Mad Mallard

Well I got romraider up and running on my netbook. Its pretty neat...but I have no idea how to interpret the info its giving me. And emissions are due next week for the tag.

So I took it to SOK yesterday and Dan(?) said what SS did, plus gasket leaks.

16. Mad Mallard

apparently the weld on my up-pipe from Random failed, also(or caused things, i dunno). I called them up and took it to em and they re-assembled it. Good to know someone stands behind their product, especially local outfits.

17. clemsonscooby

clemsonscooby Active Member

So is the exhaust leak what threw the CEL? Makes me wonder if I should just my aftermarket up pipe.

18. Davidwrx

Davidwrx Member

How to you check those for leaks?

19. Mad Mallard

well, the o2 still went bad. opinion weather it was bad because of the structural failure of the weld, or the thing went bad separately... whatever.

I'm not sure how they check for leaks. Maybe someone cool will tell us. :)

20. Mad Mallard

So apparently my MAF is dying on top of everything else. $300 for oem... o_O

So after asking around, Orielly's has refurbs for about $120, but the interesting thing is they have the same MAF for both p/n for 2.0 and 2.5 engines. And its shared with a Mazda CX-7 and Mazda Speed6. :/