ej20g engine help

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mn4a15, May 18, 2010.

1. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

[edited by Alex]
    Recently I decided to paint my manifold. I removed it to prep and paint and reinstalled. It did not crank at first, which led me to double check the fuel injector lines and make adjustments. I tried again and the car started! Unfortunately, the idle is still erratic :( I then checked the following: vacuum, fuel and coolant lines as well as all connections. Everything appears to be correct, but I still am not sure. I took the car for a test drive and took it WOT. Nothing happened!? What did I do wrong? Is my car now misfiring? How may I check?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2010
  2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

what...the...fuck...grammar, punctuation, word choice - heard of these?

There's no telling what's wrong with your car, the information you provided gives little insight into the problem. My guess is, and this is loosely based on how I'm perceiving this situation based on what you explained, and how you 'explained' it, you don't need to mess with cars...ever...

3. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

yea what drew said check maybe your throttle cable is tangled up just a thought maybe dirty throttle body maybe

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

ej20g.

problem found...

5. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

lol damn

6. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Guessing you used new gaskets and torqued everything down after you painted it?

7. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Edited OP for clarification.

Is your MAF crystal clean?

8. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

ok guise so imma get new gaskets new vaccum lines and cooling lines to see if it helps thanks for the input guise.

9. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

guys?

10. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

guise? say hey to your guido friends on jersey shore for me...

I'm pretty sure COOLANT lines won't do anything, as they have nothing to do with the intake. New VACUUM lines could be the problem, but if it was running fine before you attempted your paint job, my guess is you're just overlooking something and forgot to reconnect everything correctly.

And for fuck's sake - SPELL CHECK IS YOUR FRIEND. Jesus...

11. Alex

Wirelessly posted

Are you throwing a CEL (check engine light) by the way? I still vote vacuum leak. In fact, are you certain your throttlebody to ic hose is properly clamped? That'll make the car dog real quick.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2010
  12. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

I see you arent familiar with what a ej20g is, closed deck aluminum 2 litre forged crank and rods(sti had forged piston) the heads are dohc and flow as well as ej207 heads (non version 8 big port). the version type ra-r was built for record setting race cars of the day.

oh yeah and they are dirt cheap.

but you know its no open deck ej205

13. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

no cel. i also think its vacuum im gonna go over every line. im also getting new gaskets on throttle,manifold,idle control valve. ill see what happens

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  14. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

this seems like its going to help, are you sure your tightened the manifold back down correctly?

15. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

i finally got around to doing the manifold gaskets and idle gaskets. the car cranked up fine but it still idles funny and vibrates alot. when im driving i can hear the bogging, kick back, it has very low throttle response. i connected all the vacuum hose and connectors. idk? help guys?

16. Jake

Jake Active Member

coilpacks, err umm. coil? you hook the spark plugs wires up wrong?

17. Alex

You reset the ECU?

I agree with BC, crap idle could be from bad coils or bad plugs.

18. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

what kind of car is this in? what ecu do you have this running on?

19. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

95L im running an apexi power fc

20. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

and since the gasket change the car still bogs at WOT?

21. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

yep? manifold and iacv replaced and car runs like shit. car doesn't go past 35? could the TPS be the problem because i disassembled the throttle body to clean it?

22. mn4a15

mn4a15 Member

Tomorrow im gonna change the spark plugs and see if that helps thanks guys,