Air Conditioner kinda flakey...

Discussion in 'General Community' started by jesus888, May 26, 2010.

1. jesus888

jesus888 Member

So my A/C in my 2005 STi kinda stopped blowing cold... I hear it cycle on and off but just doesn't seem to blow much cold air. Maybe freon low, who knows... anyone have suggestions on where to get it checked? Preferably near Howell Mill Rd off of I75 OR close to Exit 11 on 400...

Thanks!

2. jeb

jeb Member

If the airflow itself is getting weak it's probably just low and refrigerant. If you go to autozone and get a charge can. It's ~45$ and it just plugs up to the line near the top mount. I think the cap is green you take off and screw the can on, hit the button on it, and it fixes most ac problems

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

DO NOT use the refill kit with sealer, this will cost more than you are willing to pay to get it repaired correctly. I would urge you to take it to Allpro or Kingwrex at SOK to have it repaired properly. Sorry, I forgot Andy as well

Last edited: May 27, 2010
  4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Or Andy ;) He has all the equipment needed as well.

5. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I took mine to AllPro a few weeks ago and they took care of me for a real good price :)

6. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Few questions... What's a "real good price"... Who/where is Andy?... and are either of these anywhere near where I work/live (Exit 11 in Alpharetta/Howell Mill Rd).

Thanks!

7. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Go see Brandon at AllPro.

They're close enough (up by Topspeed) that you won't have to drive too far away from work to get to them.

8. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

what he said...

9. I just had the same thing happen in my car... except it ended up being more than just low on Freon. They had to replace my high side hose from compressor to condenser and replace the O rings on the low side to the evaporator...

I took it to Troncalli b/c that's just where I bought it and have had all of the service done on the car since it was new (previous owner purchased from new from Troncalli). They take good care of us there.

Now the AC is blowing 39 degrees at 1800 RPM. Woohoo!

10. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Yep, on those 05's it's usually a high side hose(has an "H" on the the greenish blue cap and connects to the top of the AC compressor). Check for oil leaks on that hose, bet you'll see some. You might want to remove some of the covers on it.

11. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I just recharged my brother's. I've never had an issue buying cans from Autozone and DIYing :confused:

12. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

This is what I was going to do, mine started blowing warm the other day.

13. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

Have you checked the vents for odd items??? I once had a midget living in my AC and it really sucked... or blew midgets.. whatever you want to call it.

14. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

No offense Matt! I know Gingers and midgets sick together.... I don't want to step on anyone's toes here...

15. mmtasty

mmtasty Active Member

No offense Breel! I know how Gingers and Midget Gingers stick together... I'm just trying to be politically correct...

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

Nothing wrong with a DIY just don't use "mechanic in a can" with the sealer crap, it seals all right, it also restricts, clogs up, destroys compressors, driers, and condensers real good.

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

No problem there Mike, one encounter with nicad kind of numbs the feeling

18. jesus888

jesus888 Member

I'm planning on heading to Allpro tomorrow... the weekend wasn't friendly with no A/C...

19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

que

20. jesus888

jesus888 Member

Ahhh... cold air once again... ahhh... Thanks Brandon!