Comcast Triple Play...Opinions?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by BelvnAWD, Jun 25, 2010.

1. BelvnAWD

BelvnAWD I'm Vin, Bell-Vin...

Apparently, I do not need to sign a contract for it. The price I was quoted (including taxes, equipment fees, etc) was about the same as the three services I have now, but I would have quite a bit more features and internet speed. Anyone have it now and happy with it? I live in BFE Gwinnett so U-Verse isn't here yet. I currently have Dish for TV with ATT for voice and data. Not impressed with any of them, but no real complaints either. Anyways, thanks in advance for any opinions...

2. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

Tripple play is worth it IMO, i had the double play however when the contract/promotion of 12month was over prices sucked. But one call to comcast and they will gladly readjust your prices.

At this very moment my internet is extremely slow, not exactly sure why but comcast has been reliable besides the few no service days that presents itself few times a year for maintenance. Speeds usually goes back to normal after few hours, at least in my area.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I just switched from directv and att dsl. I can't believe I waited so long to make the change to the triple play.

I have all the same channels now and HD (didn't have hd via satellite). Plus I have 20meg download speed versus 5meg.

To top it all off I have an extra 50 in my pocket each month.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

Can't complain, I threaten to leave and they give me whatever current package deal they are offering at the time for another year. Been doing that since they started internet service.

5. Trey

Trey Active Member

If you have HD, get DirecTV, no one else comes close.

6. BelvnAWD

I have heard this many times, and if I just wanted tv I would consider it. But I would like a better/faster internet experience and voip based phone service. If U-verse were here I would jump on it. FIOS would be my preferred choice, but Verizon has almost no chance of coming here....

7. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

double play
    voip=- ooma

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Comcast is horrible. So happy to have dropped them :)

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Belvin, didnt you get a modem from me awhile ago?

10. BelvnAWD

Nope. I was trying to sell a couple DSL modems. But I bought both of them new at the store...

Alex,
    I agree, I wasn't happy with Comcast when I had them before either, but since ATT is taking their sweet time getting U-Verse out to my place, and Comcast isn't requiring a contract, I figured I would give them another shot.

11. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I've got NO problems with comcast...prices are a little high, but that's to be expected I believe.

my internet is quick, channels are nice and clear and the line up is how I like it.

I don't have the phone service because well...I don't need a home phone.

12. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I went with Comcast because the ATT u-verse was never going to make it to my house. It made it as close as three houses to me but to get it any further the would have to install some new hardware. I wasn't going to hold my breath waiting for that.

U-verse has some serious limitations too. It has limited bandwidth that is shared for the hd streams and internet. Depending how far you are from the dslam you may not be able to even stream 2 hd programs at once.

13. BelvnAWD

My neighborhood is (supposedly) already wired with fiber. They are slowly making it toward my house, but since ATT refuses to disclose their roll out map, then I have no way of knowing when it will arrive. With the new 150mbps service being rolled out soon and SDV I am hopeful that I will enjoy comcast more this time around. I wanted a home phone for two reasons 1)911 (I have a small child) and Comcast seems to do a better job of ensuring E911 and associated services work with their VOIP options and 2) my mobile reception in the house is just okay. I get lots of interference when using my mobile phone and skype, while great most of the time (for overseas calls) has some issues...

14. Alex

Ive been looking into U-Verse, which just became available in my area. More than likely I will be going with that. I am not sure if I'll opt for TV through them. I am more inclined to go Dish or DirectTV instead. I would love to save money and do I a combo-deal but I'll pay more for peace of mind that my services work and that I don't have to deal with Comcastic Customer Support.

15. BelvnAWD

Dish hasn't been much better when I have needed them. Though, admittedly, I haven't needed them anywhere near as much as I did Comcast. Again, I sincerely hope they have fixed some of their issues, but with no contract, I don't feel like the risk is all that great...

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

mother fiving contracts

:|

17. Trey

Trey Active Member

You get a discount with AT&T phone and DirecTV.

But I ditched the phone and use my cell now. No need to pay for a land line IMO.

I have DirecTv for HD and AT&T DSL. 6Meg is pleanty fast for my needs. I'd go Comcast cable modem if I wanted more but I don't. No lag issues with streaming video or Xbox 360.

....and why worry about a contract? I've had DTV since 2003 and moved once since then. No worries about a contract. 2 years is nothing.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010
  18. Alex

IIRC in my fatwallet.com browsing, there were much more discounts to be had with Dish versus DirectTV. My dad just got DirectTV installed and loves it, but I dont know.

I currently have Charter because nothing else was available in my area when I moved in, and I must say that their service is right on par with Comcast (read as terrible). Im paying for a 15mbit line and have never received anything near that.

19. moose

moose Infina Mooooooose!

I kept hearing this before trying them (ATT sucked, our DSL dropped to 200k or less whenever it rained and they kept not fixing the issue properly), but had them for nearly a year before moving out of the ATL area and had a rock solid connection around 21-23 mbps that just worked. I suspect that if you do a LOT of downloading (e.g. torrent stuff) your connection will magically start to suck, but for most users it seems pretty decent.

20. MattBallRules

MattBallRules Member

I'm in Marietta, Uverse wasn't available in my area and I recently just signed up for the triple play package. so far so good, internet has been reliable and pretty quick for what it is.