North GA Meet-N-Greet / Run What Ya Brung!

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by New92, Jul 4, 2010.

1. New92

New92 Member

Hey all, been seeing more and more subies in and around the North Ga area and began to think it would be cool to organize a road run followed up with a cook out at my complex pool. Dont know what you all think but here are the details so let me know how it sounds.

Proposed time of event will be a Saturday in August.

The warm up lap:

This lap will start out on a newly paved but narrow back road off 515 ( Salem Church Road ) with a couple of great hairpins and a brief uphill section followed by a hard left onto gravel ( Mineral Springs Road S. ) which will then connect back onto rough blacktop ( Alfred Mill Road ) with a couple more good hard curves before reconnecting to 515.

Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou....442982,-84.444866&spn=0.025447,0.038581&z=15

The final run:

Here is the good part! Then its off to Hwy 411 North to Highway 53 going up to Fort Mountain State Park. The only posted speed is 45 mph, the road is smooth black top, and most of it is unposted! This runs for several miles with very hard curves left and right and section after section of interconnecting hairpins! You change elevation once at least and there are some awesome scenic spots to pull off at and take pics. The uphill is the most aggressive portion with the downhill being a bit more tame with longer straights between the curves. I have a video of the downhill linked below. I had the wife and kids in the car so its a pretty casual run but youll get the idea.

Video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCdPQqlfHp0

Map:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q...0781,-84.685535&spn=0.10141,0.154324&t=h&z=13

Food:
    After we've run that to our hearts content its back to the apartment for a cookout. Ill provide the hot dogs and buns but I will ask anyone coming to contribute to the feast. What Ill do is make a list and people can just put down their names to what they will bring. And if you all want to cool off, the pool stays open till 10 pm.

Im hoping this will give people enough advanced notice to make plans. I really want this to be a opportunity to connect and establish friendships in the community. I know I dont post up here much but I read the posts voraciously and would like to thank you all by hosting a fun event and meeting some faces. Hope you all can attend!

Updates and changes:

1) Just as a reminder, this will take place on Sat Aug 21st. We will meet at the QT on 515 in Jasper just past Piedmont Mountainside Hospital.

2) It was brought to my attention that the "wharm up lap" should be deleted from the days events due to the gravel portion being a bit too demanding on lowered suspensions and kitted cars.

3) I need to know in advance how many of you plan to attend the cookout afterwards, this way I will purchase the proper quantity of vieners und buns. If you can help with food that also would be welcome info, thanks!
    Ben
    678-457-0703

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

What's up Ben. If I don't have a baby yet I will do it.

3. New92

New92 Member

Hey man! Good to hear from you. I left RaceTrac and Im on the regular 9 to 5, Mon thru Fri. I would love to have you there! Im asking Mike (your neighbor with the audi) to come as well as a guy I met from up in ElJay with a 99 RS. So one way or another will have a meet. A baby eh?! Got two of my own, 3 and 4 years old. Your in for a whole new life, let me tell you. For example, your car will now get upgrades as the OE factory parts break down versus just slapen em on when you feel the urge. But overall its worth the sacrifice so let me congratulate you on selling the good life down the river tor the sake of propagating the human species! LOL! I kid, I kid! I really hope I can get a ride in your sweet wagon some time. I would love to know what a properly built Subie feels like in the seat of the pants kind of way! Let me tell you now, there is nothing more satisfying in life than taking your kids out in your ride and hearing one exclaim "Weeee Dady!" "Faster!" While the other is going "Pshhhh, pfshhhhh" every time you shift!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  4. RBillings

RBillings Member

This looks like great fun, I would probably be interested in going for a mountain run. I would want to be towards the rear of the pack though. I am all about a spirited run but I dont like to push the envelope on the mountain roads so I wouldnt want to hold anybody up. I have a friend or two that would be interested as well as long as they are not working, non subarus though if that would be ok.

5. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this will be his 3rd.

:p

6. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

LOL. Yeah I am trained in the art of "daddy go faster".

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Hahah. Onei. That's great to hear. Another child on the way, congrats.
    I'm up for this. As long as I can ride with somebody? OR, depending on what happens over the next few weeks, we'll see. Lollll Let's setup an actual date so I can request that day off.

8. New92

New92 Member

Oops, my bad! But you look so young, LOL! Seriously though, I'd have never guessed 3! I almost lost it with two kids and a dog! Don't know how you do it!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was tentatively thinking to do this on Sat the 21st? Let me know.

Oh and of course, I want this to be fun AND safe, please use tempered discression. Nuff said, LOL!

9. Max Q

Max Q Member

I vaguely recall speaking with you at the RaceTrac one evening driving home from work. I was driving either a white 4 door widebody or 2 door coupe. I would be down for this if by the grace of God I am granted a weekend off.

10. Matt

he doesn't pull out, that's how he does it..

:p

11. Sam

Sam Mrs. Sparta

I'd be down to do this

12. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

:fawk:

13. Matt

:rofl:

oh wait, this one is mine, didn't we conclude that? :|

14. New92

New92 Member

Yup, that was me. You had the coupe. I see you on 515 every now and then. Tell them if you don't have off you will seek retribution!!

15. New92

New92 Member

Jerry! Jerry! Jerry! Jerry!:argue::argue:

16. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

I actually checked out this route/road over this past holiday weekend, its a nice cruise. Not as intense as wolf pen, but the views from the overlooks and such are really nice, definitely was fun to run up and down it.

17. New92

New92 Member

Yeah, I was hesitant to suggest anything too aggressive as I figured on a pretty wide variety of vehicle types and skill levels. Kind of hoping this will be fun enough for the veterans but not too challenging for the newb's. So which way did you start out? I ran it from the Chatsworth side, I dont think my brakes will like it too much going the other way.:eek3:

18. superdoughboy4

Okay. Well, it seems like any of the cars that I'm gonna get, consisting of either a Mazda3 hatch, Impreza Hatchback, or xB will like this course.
    Would it be okay if I ride with one of you guys?

19. New92

New92 Member

So what do you all think of the date?

20. superdoughboy4

21st sounds great. Just not the 28th. I have a wedding to attend on that day. Lol

21. New92

New92 Member

Hey man, real sorry. I just realized I never answered your question. Absolutely, anyone is welcom. Like it says "Run what ya brung".

22. crazyazn

I ran it from the Chatsworth side, then turned around after a few miles and went back. I guess it worked out to around 4 or 5 'laps', spent pretty much the whole afternoon there since I had my camera with me, gorgeous area especially for a more suburban guy like me. I took a bumper cam video with my gopro that i guess i'll look into getting posted somewhere, nothing special was essentially all speed limit.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  23. undrgrndrdr15

undrgrndrdr15 Active Member

i would be down for this... havent been on the forum much since my subie is down but im in canton and would like to meet some of the people i havent had the chance to meet yet... im sure i can bring out a few of the younger guys on the site with me to give you old farts a hard time!

24. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

Interested, but no can make saturdays... :(

25. superdoughboy4

I'll be there for sure. Requested the 21st off at work.

26. New92

New92 Member

Man that sucks. I just came off a job workin nights, weekends and holidays so I know what it's like.

27. New92

New92 Member

Good deal man, we will see you there!

28. undrgrndrdr15

has there been a final date set for this?

29. New92

New92 Member

Yup, the 21st.

Were gonna need to set a time, I'm thinking early AM.

As a side note, if anyone has bad brakes or tires you should really think twice. This run will really heat things up on your car and I would rather we not have any incidents due to bad componants.

30. crazyazn

Darn, the 21st I'm out in Chicago for a bachelor party. Next time for me I guess. :|

31. superdoughboy4

Yeah. Too bad man. We'll go ahead and have the fun for you. Hahah.

32. crazyazn

Hahaha, I'm sure you all will. It was definitely a fun road, and unlike wolf pen, I didn't see any cops, which is why I was looking forward to it, as I had some bad luck last time at wolf pen.

33. New92

New92 Member

Ok guys, slight change of itinerary. It's been brought to my attention that the wharmup lap may be rough on lower setting vehicles. So were gonna skip that part. What will do is meet up at the QT on 515 which is on your right side after the hospitol. I'm thinking 9:30 am? I know that some of you have further to drive.

I've been up and down it both during day and night time and no cops. But really there is no need as the road really regulates itself + there are no good spots for a speed trap.

34. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Have you guys figured out the date yet?

35. New92

New92 Member

Yep, were meeting on Sat. the 21st.

36. crazyazn

i believe new92 set the date for aug. 21. i'm pretty sure as that conflicts with me so i get to wait for next time....again :(

37. superdoughboy4

Rofl. How do you guys think a Mazda 3 sedan would fare?

38. crazyazn

honestly any car will be fine, when I went out there I was sharing the road with trucks hauling campers up the road, which honestly was pretty impressive. Just remember its not a race, but a cruise. Enjoy the road and great views, and drive with good judgment and control. I honestly could have run the route a lot faster than I did on the occasions I didn't have anyone in front of me, but I was too lazy to use the brakes on the downhill and just rode out 4th (but i was also tinkering with my shock settings that day)

I'd take my DD camry on it, just at a fraction of the speed

39. superdoughboy4

Okay. That's cool. Kind of reassuring to hear. If it's just a cruise, awesome.

40. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

So the wife says if she is pissed off at me enough she will let me go. But I highly doubt it. If I do get a hall pass Peter you can ride with me.

41. superdoughboy4

[​IMG]

Hell yeah.

42. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

43. New92

New92 Member

Man surely you must have been married long enough to know the formula. Do something thoughtless + speak without thinking + bring flowers and chocolate while paraphrasing from her favorite boy band song = you get to go play with the other kids :wiggle:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  44. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Yep took one wife to figure it out, and another to do it right. If I do make it it will be very last minute

45. New92

New92 Member

Thank you! I do want to stress that this is ment to be a fun time. The last thing I want to see is someone wrecking their pride and joy. You drive at your pace and ability and we will all have a good time. Like the thread title says "Run what ya brung".

46. superdoughboy4

Hahah. I'm pretty excited for this. It's just NEXT WEEK!
    Getting my AEM CAI installed this tuesday, and should be getting a strut tower brace sometime next week too. ebay ftw? Hahah. Hopefully it's not a POS.

47. New92

New92 Member

Ok guys, need ur help here. I need to know how many bodies we will have present so I can determin how much food I'll need to get. I'll also need for each of you to bring a beverage and a snack. Post up people!:bigthumb:

48. superdoughboy4

49. undrgrndrdr15

50. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I'm in.... it will be a good chance to meet fellow enthusiasts.