Leaking Head Gaskets

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by carrosene, Jul 6, 2010.

1. carrosene

carrosene Member

Hey,

I have an 02 2.5rs with 110k miles and it has leaking head gaskets from what SOG says. I know they are great guys there but I would like to get a second opinion since they want $2600 to do the work. Can anyone recommend a good place to have them look at the car and hopefully give me a better price for the work?

I know this is a common problem but it really annoys me because I just had the valve cover gaskets and timing belt replaced at the beginning of the year and now they are telling me I need to do this.

Thanks in advance,
    Eric

Last edited: Jul 6, 2010
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Allpro,

and spend that $2600 on a swap :naughty:

3. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Any of the registered vendors on here can do the work. Andy@killshot, topspeed, etc...

If they just replaced it earlier this year, shouldnt that fall under some sort of warranty?

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

2600 will get you a new SB.. top speed will doa 2.5 for 3300 iirc

5. carrosene

carrosene Member

Oh sorry. I just realized I said they replaced the head gaskets when I meant to say they replaced the valve cover gaskets. Ill correct that in my original post.

As for a swap I am not interested. Ive been driving this car since new and I was planning on getting another car in the next year or so. That's why I don't want to dump a ton of money into the car at this point. I love my car but after 8+ years of driving it I think it's time for a change.

6. sharif@forged

sharif@forged Member

Stop by anytime, and me or one of my techs can take a look for you.

7. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Eric what are the symptoms, if it is head gaskets that quote isn't to far off what it should be. Ill be happy to personally take a look at it, we should be here late today, just give me a ring if you are going to come by.

Matt

8. carrosene

carrosene Member

I just wanted to thank Matt at Top Speed for taking a look at my car today. Super nice guy and great shop. I look forward to going back there again.

Eric

9. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Glad we could help, bring it by after your trip and we can recheck everything.

10. ZenMotors

ZenMotors Member

did someone just say matt and nice guy in the same sentence? this world must be coming to an end!!!

lol i kid i kid. glad they got everything worked out for you. :p

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

I was quoted the same price, basically the engine needs to be pulled to get the heads off.

I did it myself and also replaced normal wear items while the engine was out and easily accessible. Only cost me $900 and a few busted knuckles. ;)