May need tranny fixed..?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by izzy_the_impressa, Aug 8, 2010.

1. It feels like my rear wheels are locking up when Im Uturning or pulling into tight spots. But this doesn't happen when the car is cold. Ive found online that a number of things could be the issue. My tire pressure may be low but ive checked those things... Could be my viscous coupling going bad... Or the fact that my tranny fluid hasn't been flushed since i bought the car a year ago. Never had the "pleasure..." of dealing with AWD cars so at this point im pulling at straws.

Im told I can lift the car and if all my wheels turn without a lot of resistance then my coupling should be fine..?

If anyone can help let me know.
    Cheers

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

3. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I'd start by changing the fluids and seeing what comes out.

4. Ouch... that doesn't sound good. Im crossing my fingers that the tran fluid will be the fix.

Ive noticed more wear on my passenger rear tire on the inside. I got my alignment done two months ago and the car was running fine until a week ago...

Im trying to eliminate some cases like the fact that the car doesn't do it when its cold... So wouldn't that in itself mean that its not the tires because that would mean cold or hott it should still do it... if that were the problem.

5. Planning on flushing my rear diff... Whats the best substance to use?

6. techlord

techlord Active Member

I personally haven't changed my rear diff fluid but IIRC it uses the same as the tranny 75/90. Assuming I am correct, I would use Subaru Extra S.

7. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Sounds like the center diff to me

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

theoretically, jacking up the car evenly and turning one wheel should turn all the wheels, if this doesn't happen its probly your diff

9. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

2 good answers already in this thread.

Extra-S (and I hope you have a really long breaker bar- diff bolt is one of the worst bolts to try and remove anywhere on the car- you've been warned- P.S enjoy the smell)

Go see Andy@ Killshot. I was researching M-factory gearsets ( I believe they are out west Nevada or Utah) and called them telling them I was looking at Subaru gearsets and I was in the southeast US. They immediately told me to find Andy.

10. Should I not be driving the car then? Ive been limiting my distances and not WOT...

Isn't the center diff lubricated through the tranny sys?

11. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

It is in the same case so yes it is lubricated through the tranny sys.

Which means that if it is your center diff and it finally lets go, pieces will eventually find their way into the gears.

12. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Maybe a 6 speed then? :)