FML, the saga continues...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by onemoresti, Aug 26, 2010.

1. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

OP is this oily smoke? Or is it vapor?

2. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

I bought a NEW engine gasket kit for the 2nd assembly. I wouldn't say the smoke is "oily"...

3. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Is this smoke on a cold engine or a warm one?

4. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Warm one. It seems to develop more blowby as the engine warms up.

5. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Thats not a street engine, those ring gaps and clearances are setup for a race engine. Its a bit much for a street car.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Yeah that was built for a purpose wasn't it? Supposed to be a big boost drag engine right?

7. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

not necessarily drag only, but that and track ready, yeah

8. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Not drag only but the ring gaps and ptw are bigger than what I would put in a street engine. It was good on drews car.

9. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

All I was really after was a solid platform that can take any abuse I was gonna give it. I probably jumped the gun a little on getting the block from Drew, but I wanted a built short block and he had one. It's running fine so far and I'm gonna deal with it, but I think I'm gonna build my old SB to suit me a little better. Still need to get it tuned though, probably sometime next week.

10. Hopefully it will be better. WOW!

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LULZ I saw your original response Andy. :rofl: I thought the same thing but kept my mouth shut.

12. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

Joke's on me I guess?...

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just the mating surface of the heads isn't the greatest/smoothest. Did you do that?

14. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

I went over it lightly with a rubber bristle 3M disc...

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I think the flash of the camera makes it look that way.

16. Matt@Topspeed

Matt@Topspeed Member

Its to late now, but yeah you probably should have had those surfaced.

17. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

at least yours didn't look like this:

[​IMG]

:eek2:

18. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

Not yet anyway...:sx:

19. No, if you have never had someone tell you not to use any abrasives such as that, how could you know. I was not trying insult you, it's just when I see abrasive marks like that I know the problems they will create.

20. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

I talked with the SOG techs and asked them what they used to clean off the heads when doing a HG job or whatever. 1 guy said he uses a little 1.5" thin green disc that I would say is more abrasive than what I used. He said even the Subaru Training Center instructors recommended to use the bristle pad I used. I realize that we're dealing with higher power levels than what Subaru has designed and intended these motors to for, and that's all the more reason for everything to be more precise. Only time will tell...

21. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I wouldn't believe everything the training center instructors say...

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

When putting heads to a block using the steel head gasket you want the smoothest and straightest surface possible. When you torque the head down the gasket will only squish so much and if there is just the tiniest path for pressure to push oil or water out, well there's your failed head gasket.

23. You should be fine, in the future use a good quality scraper that is free from burrs and nicks to retain the smooth finish of the part. MLS gaskets are not forgiving when it comes to imperfections in the mating surface.