Coolant leaking behind radiator cap?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by D_K, Dec 1, 2010.

1. D_K

D_K Member

So behind my radiator cap there is this cap/seal that is leaking dripping coolant, and at times it would squirt it out as shown in the picture.. don't know why. Is this piece replaceable? Subaru was telling me I needed a new radiator.. true or false?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys.

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Unless you can McGuyver a piece of gum over it, I vote that its time to replace it.

3. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Think I would TRY a new cap first....worst case is it doesn't work and you are out a lot less than a new radiator and associated time or labor. Is there a leak somewhere that you can actually see the fluid coming from?

4. CoquiSubi

CoquiSubi Member

Im trying to figure this out. Have you physically scene it leak from a specific location? If its another cap it should have a replacement part or maybe an O-ring that needs to be replaced.

5. D_K

D_K Member

Subaru was telling me that there is no replacement cap? That the cap/seal was molded on to the radiator itself. I found this to be odd, because if it was not meant to come off then why would it be designed in such a way?

As you can see in the picture, the leak is coming from the cap behind the radiator cap, you can even see it squirting from the side.

6. D_K

D_K Member

Yes I've seen it leak, and obviously the squirting. There is an O-ring there and that might fix the issue, but where could I find one?

7. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

you can see the stream. from that location I can't imagine not trying JB Weld or something first. If it's not meant to come off, I see no reason to not chemically bond it together.

8. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

If all else fails, he can come borrow your chainsaw :naughty:

9. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

well if he does end up needing a new radiator, i'd recommend a sledgehammer over the chainsaw (would kick a little too much...well and the metal shrapnel might not feel that great).

10. Jake

Jake Active Member

there is a jb weld for radiators. used it on my cracked wrx radiator. held just fine for months. till i replaced it took 5 mins. then again it took me 15 mins to replace the radiator

11. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

If it comes down to it, I have a radiator I can get you cheap! I will be changing mine out for something a bit different in light of my upcoming v-mount set up. It is just stock, but I am sure it will work.

12. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

i,ve had luck with jb weld also. it would be worth trying but if the jb weld doesnt hold then it will need a radiator

13. CoquiSubi

CoquiSubi Member

Pull the o-ring off and try matching it at a local parts store. Thats how did a few of mine. Advanced, napa, etc.