Running my first marathon for St. Jude

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by heathbar, Aug 24, 2010.

1. heathbar

heathbar Member

Sup Fellas. For the third straight year I'm participating in the Memphis St. Jude Marathon (December 4th, 2010). The last two year's I've done the half-marathon, but this year I'm taking the plunge and doing my first marathon. I've raised several thousand dollars in the last two years and I'm hoping to build on that momentum!

Here's the link for my fundraising page --> www.mystjudeheroes.org/heath

St. Jude Children's Hospital is a fantastic nonprofit. Not only do they treat children with deadly diseases, but they also freely share all of their research and protocols with hospitals all over the world. :bigthumb:

How about $1 per mile? Thanks for the support! :hug:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  2. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I'll support you man it's for a great cause....

3. heathbar

heathbar Member

I'll also gladly accept training tips!

Thanks Josh, you rock!

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I would be more than happy to help! Shoot me your paypal address and please let me know if there is any paperwork I need to fill out.

5. heathbar

heathbar Member

It's easy, just click on the link to my page and there's a "donate now" button. :)

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sweet. I've done 5 full marathons in my life. I enjoyed each one but sadly my knees will not allow me to do that type of running anymore.

Good luck. Pace yourself and thoroughly hydrate! Course you know that already.

7. Alex

Donation made! :)

8. heathbar

heathbar Member

Thanks man, it's a great organization to support! :bigthumb:

9. heathbar

heathbar Member

Wow, 5? How'd you maintain the motivation to train for each one? Did you have progressively lower time goals? I have a typical first-timer's goal of a sub-4 hour time.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

My best ever was a 3:29:xx. Worst was 4:58:xx. My first time I had a sub 4 goal.....it's BRUTAL. The first half was easy. That last half the lactic acid in your legs really get to you.

FYI I used to be a runner....a very avid one at that. In High School I was the CC guy....ran 14 mins 59 sec in 3 mile. In track I ran the 2 mile, the 1 mile, the 800m (half mile), the 400 hurdles, and the 4x800m relay. Yeah I did a LOT of running. Was nothing for me to run 10-15 miles daily and was probably why I looked like a skinny crackhead then (128 lbs when I graduated).

Also I never really trained for the marathons since I was already doing so much running. Wish I did because each one I ran I had total body stiffness and soreness for a full week that was just horrible. Another reason why my knees are probably blown out. There's no cartilage in them now :( But I want to get back to running again....just not as extreme.

11. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yeah, I'm expecting the second half to be hard. My last half-marathon I got a 1:48:xx (8:15/mile) so I'm thinking 3:55:xx (9:00/mile) is attainable for the full. We'll see...

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You can DO IT!

13. heathbar

heathbar Member

Bump. :wiggle:

14. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

Heath call me when you have time

15. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Donation made!

16. heathbar

heathbar Member

Well, I did it guys. 4 hours and 12 minutes. Thanks for all the donations! The race raised a total $3 million for St. Jude!

17. Alex

Got your email, congratulations on the money that you were able to raise! Thanks for the photo :)

18. oneiguy

oneiguy Active Member

That's awesome heath!