New Car Help

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Bug-Rex, Dec 13, 2010.

1. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

So I am over the whole off road thing. It wasn't what I thought it'd be like and not really very fun for me. So I am thinking about selling the Jeep. 10mpg and a top speed of 75mph is not a whole lotta fun for a car that is only driven on the street now.

So my budget for my next car is about 12k (maybe a little more if I find the right car).

I want something reliable as shit too. That is the one thing that is keeping me in the Jeep at the moment. It has never given me one single problem and takes me on 4 hour drives home without any problems. But it takes me 4 hours to go 220 miles...

So I am having trouble deciding on a car.

I want fun, fast, rwd and reliable. Is there a car (other than a scoob) that will fit my needs and my budget?

Open to suggestions...

2. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Jump on the German bandwagon! Yes they are expensive to fix but most are dead reliable. E36 M3's are very much in your price range.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'd buy an older C5 before wasting money on a Bimmer.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Me too but 2 seats only = fail for most people.

5. pEd

pEd This ain't no Piccadilly!

Where's the damn poal??

C5 all the way.

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

He's young and kind of homely looking, hence the C5. Plus he's in bama so American iron wins any day.

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

so what you REALLY meant to say, was Camaro SS BABAYY!! WOOOODANG!

8. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Iroc FTW

insert Top Gear joke here

9. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Two seater is fine with me.

Screw you Breel. :rofl:

A C5 isn't too bad of an idea... unless its unreliable...

Ped, there isn't a poll because I don't know what to get.

10. I have a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 for sale!

11. Pics of the car

Attached Files:

12. pEd

you could also look into a GTO.

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Yeah, holden goat was pretty dang nice for the american offering.

14. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Had an 04 GTO and liked it fairly well. The LS series of engines are as reliable as you'll get save for the rattle at cold tempratures.... something to do with the piston skirt clearance; but there are a ton of guys making reliable power with said "issue".

Vettes are fairly reliable as well. The drive train is good- it's all the other piddly shit- squeeks/rattles that my drive you batty with a GM car as it wears on.

15. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

HOnda S2000?

16. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Yep. I've decided that its the Honda S2000 for me. Nothing else. I am terribly tired of car shopping so I figure with only one car to look for, it shouldn't be too bad. Searching for my Jeep wore me out of shopping for cars and I'm still tired of it.

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

e36 M3. and u can find them around 8k. Add another 3k on top of that 12k and you can find a decent e46 m3.

18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

I would normally say s2k, but driving that much on the highway im pretty sure you would hate it. Its buzzy and loud at highways speeds, the tach is in the high 3's possibly 4's and the top doesnt offer much sounds deadening. It also gets not great mpg on the highway.

19. pEd

That's exactly the reason I didn't suggest the s2k.

20. Bug-Rex

Bug-Rex Active Member

Well, my plan with an s2k would be to only do suspension and wheels. I am not really talking about driving on the highway really. More of a 2-lane that spans from Tuscaloosa to Mobile and winds like a mountain road the entire time. I always think about how fun that road would be in a fun car like my subie.

I am deaf after every trip to Mobile after riding in the Jeep for 4 hours, I get maybe 10mpg so anything above 20mpg is awesome for me. I only drive a few miles a day when I am not headed somewhere far so daily mpg doesn't really bother me.

But I see your point and I will keep it in mind. Thanks WR.

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

if you get an s2k a hardtop is a must anyways. so secksy

22. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

this...if nothing more than to save your seats from getting swiped.

23. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

My friends S2000 gets excellent gas mileage (27 on average). And furthermore, I find it hard to believe that any car with a 6th gear can get awful hwy mpg. It's all in how you use your right foot :)

24. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Because a 2.0 at 4 rpms still uses some freakin gas.

S2k's are notorious for being not the greatest highway mpg machines. Not saying it was bad mpg, but for the displacement and cylinder its sub par, my 2.0 wrx wagons gets better highway mpg. Soft top aero mixed with a tached out 6th gear.