Anyone have XBMC on a HTPC running HDMI?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Dec 15, 2010.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I am debating building a HTPC and running XBMC. From what I have read, it seems like it is a PITA to get sound through HDMI if you use the live way of booting the HTPC. Basically I was thinking of getting a Zotac Zbox, loading it up with ram, install a small SSD drive in it to run live boot of XBMC, then hang a huge USB drive off of it for storage. Anyone have first hand experience building something like this?

2. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

I use the windows version of xmbc and that works great.

3. integroid

Yeah, I just didnt really want to have a wireless keyboard and nouse in my HT area. Plus the bloat of Windows 7 on the machine. I guess if all else fails I can go this route.

4. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

5. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

I use Boxee on an Acer Aspire Revo running Win7, run to the tv through native HDMI. The nvidia card handles video and audio just fine. Works almost perfectly. The bonus there over running an XBMC live boot is that it's really a standalone PC running better media center software than usual. I can do whatever I want with it.

And if you don't like the wireless desktop on your coffee table, there are iOS and Android app remotes for XBMC and Boxee.

6. Trey

Trey Active Member

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  7. Trey

Trey Active Member

8. Trey

Trey Active Member

9. integroid

That is awesome considering I have a Kinetic unit at my house:) I guess I will be loading Win7 Ultimate on the box and running XBMC or BOXEE

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

It can pretty much do anything.

Post your hardware setup and final results too. I've been thinking about a dedicated HTPC for a while now but something compact. That Zotac looks promising. I want a dual core processor for fluid 1080p.

11. Trey

Trey Active Member

12. integroid

Maybe Iw ill just put unbunto and xbmc on the htpc:(

13. blaster

That'll work, but you'll lose Netflix functionality since there's no Linux Silverlight.

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

How does moonlight work with netflix?

15. blaster

Now I can't remember what I read… I think maybe what the issue is is that moonlight doesn't support hardware acceleration for hd video. All I remember is that that was something that kept me from doing an XBMC Live install. But really, Silverlight doesn't do that either… I can't remember.

16. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Hd acc? Silverlight 5 does.

17. blaster

Not on my machine. It's grossly underpowered anyway, but everything else works fine (native hd, flash hd).

18. integroid

I dont use netflix anyway and I have other devices hooked up that can stream netflix if I ever change my mind. I am so torn right now on what to do. I do have a license of Win 7 Ultimate I guess I could use for it.

19. blaster

Might as well. That way you'll have the option of doing boxee or xbmc, and doing whatever else you'd do with a normal PC.

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2010/12/02/announcing-silverlight-5.aspx

21. blaster

Methinks I need to try an update Silverlight. Normally Netflix prompts me for these things.

Edit: Silverlight 5 beta available "sometime 2011." Suck.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  22. blaster

Just got a Lenovo N5901 to use with the HTPC and so far it's the most awesome thing ever. Way better than a standard wireless desktop setup, and better still than the free Logitech keyboard app for my iPhone. It's even got a ctrl+alt+delete button.(!!!)

Some people have complained about the range, but it appears to be working just fine even three rooms away.

Full disclosure, the link above is an Amazon affiliate link.
    Pasted here in case it doesn't work: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0036VO67I

23. integroid

Ok, I just purchased a new video card for my main computer in the bedroom. It is one of the new Radeon cards that supports eyefinity. I can run both DVI displays (one has to go through the Display Port) and full HDMI out with sound. So three displays out of this card. I plan on running XBMC with it. I hope everything works out ok....if so, I will build my HTPC next week.

Just curious how people are ripping blu-ray discs? I have DVD Copy and it will rip the blu ray to an ISO file but I havent found anything that will actually playback a blu-ray ISO. Including XBMC. My friend was telling me there is some other software out there that will rip it in a format that XBMC can read and still get 1080P quality. Anyone have any ideas on this?

24. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Which card? There's a handful of Radeon cards that have Eyefinity, if I'm not mistaken. And those cards are fucking beastly.
    I still run a 9800GT 512MB..... :((((((((((

25. integroid

I got the Radeon 5770 with 1 gig of memory.

Had to purchase an active display port to dvi adaptor. I got Boxee and XBMC running and so far, I like Boxee better.

I also just ordered my HTPC last night. Well, I ordered the rest of the parts for it. Going with an Intel i5 processor with 8 gigs of ram, 64GB SSD, Blu-Ray player and this kit below.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856115034

Going to see how the integrated HDMI out works with my HT.

26. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Wait whaaat. You had to buy an adapter for the Eyefinity ports? The cards are supposed to come with all of the adapters, I'm pretty sure.
    And that HTPC is gonna be a beast. Are you just gonna be running Blu-Ray/DVD discs?
    Now a days, integrated video cards are supposed to be pretty good, compared to what was integrated before. Of course, it's always tons better to get a dedicated video card, but if the budget doesn't call for it, integrated is a good fall-back. Or a low-profile card. Lol
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131350

I used to have an integrated video card... Then I upgraded to an MX400 ROFL.

27. integroid

Well to get all the 3 displays working at one time out of one card you have to use the Displayport. You need an adaptor from displayport to DVI/VGA and the adaptor has to be an active adaptor. I tried using a passive adaptor I had at work with no luck. I knew it going into buying the card but I was just hoping the adaptor I had at work was active.

I am going to be running Blu-Rays, Boxee, XBMC, and wehatever else I would need a computer for in my HT with the new system I am building. I know, probably a little overkill but once I get started on a new computer, I can't help myself:) Will try the integrated HDMI to see if everything works OK....If not, I will get a lowpro radeon card.

28. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Athlon II X6
    8GB RAM
    MSI MB with USB3, SATA6gb, 7.1 TrueHD and DTS-HD on board
    Epson 8500 projector
    Onkyo NR5007 AVR
    ATI Radeon 5600 series with 1080p and audio via HDMI out
    40GB SSD for Win7
    2TB HDD for media
    Samsung Bluray

PS3
    xBox 4gb Kinect
    Polk 400's and CS20
    Polk RC85's x6 for surrounds
    Onkyo bookshelf for front highs
    Onkyo PS10 front sub
    Bic F12 rear sub (under seat stage)

Waiting for CETON InfinitV card to ship.
    Will use HTPC for this room and xBoxs for 3 other rooms.

I'd like to give Comcast 4 HD box's back including the DVR.

Will post more when the card comes in.

29. blaster

:drool:

30. socrates42

socrates42 Member

the new nvidia GT430 1gb cards have HDMI audio streaming as well. I just picked one up at frys for 49 bucks. Bluray works great with them too it seems.

My only complaint about the Lenovo is the lack of a lit keyboard. its great but impossible to read in the dark.

I'm running win 7 mc with boxee and hulu desktop integration and its great, i'd love to see what those cable card adapters can do!

31. lobelsteve

lobelsteve Member

Ceton InfinitV arrived and called Comcast last night.

4 tuner in PC with Win Media Center via Xbox and a Linksys DMA2200.

I might get 2 more Linksys boxes after testing how good the picture quality is compared to HD cable box.

The guide is better than Comcast and lots of other features- just no on demand.

Still need to setup the Harmony to control the PC, as the wireless keyboard is great for getting things started, but lousy as a tv remote.