Vibram Five Fingers Review

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by C_wagginz, Feb 16, 2011.

1. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Has/Does any one on here own a pair? My brother got some for Christmas after using them this past summer doing camp work. He managed to talk me into getting some.

[​IMG]

First Impressions are kind of odd. The feeling is quite unique. I had trouble finding the right size and went through 2 different colors and 3 different pairs to find out the best sized one's for me. I've done some walking around the house, and they seem pretty nice.

For what they are they are very comfortable. The one thing you do have to do is break them in, and accustom your feet to them as well. They actually suggest wearing them 2-3 hours a day for the first week or two.

I purchased them on sale, with a Fat Wallet disount code, from MooseJaw. Their customer service is great, and they worked with me to get the right pair. The last pair that I had was most likely a return as it had 2 different sized shoes in the box.

I'm going to be trying them out in different scenarios to see how well they work. The model I got, KSO, is supposed to be one of the more versatile:

And they're machine washable! :rofl:

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have that exact pair you posted. I only really use them when I am in the gym. I have bad ankles so it helped with ankle pain I was having when I was lifting or doing squats/lunges. Seems like the cushion in my running shoes were really causing a lot of pain in my ankles. They were a life saver for me when working out:)

3. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

hmm interesting. ive never seen these. how are the soles? pretty rigid? i would imagine it would be easy to break a toe in those lol. id be interested in trying a pair for running.

4. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

@integroid what was the adjustement period like for you? Did it take long to get used to them?

@ben i've only worn these about an hour, but the sole is firm, but flexible rubber. Once I've adjusted to them I plan on running in them.

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

always wanted to try a pair, i remember a highschool teacher wearing a pair every day. from what i heard, it takes awhile to get used to

6. The only person I know who have tried these was I guy i worked with at summer camp this past year..Say ,is you brother Rocky? Anyway he loved them and used those as his only shoes for the whole week. I would like to try a pair but do not have the $ if they turn out to be crap. I love my Nike Free shoes..

7. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

i wanna pick up a pair but i have that funky second toe thats longer than the big toe thing goin on lol. i think that will cause a fitment issue.

8. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

[​IMG]

see note #3 and #4. You could be right, but they may still fit...

9. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

It took me about 2-3 days to get use to them. I dont think I personally would run in them for long distances but walking around and working out is fine.

Ben-my 2nd toe is longer than my big toe as well and I really didnt have any fitment issues.

10. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They are the best thing to wear when jogging or running. It's amazing how regular shoes ruin the geometry of your body and balance.

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

how many guys just checked to see if their second toe is longer?

Not me...I already know its longer.

Oh and I plan to get a pair of these for the gym as well. Few guys using them even for 20min runs with no issues. Last I looked they were costly but have not looked in about a year.

12. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Midnight_rider weara these to drive in when we do mountain runs.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They are ~$80.

14. techlord

techlord Active Member

were over 100 when I last checked.

trying to find a ruler at work so I can see how jacked up my footzies are.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Find a local dealer and try on sizes. Then order online in size you need :)

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I guess I've got a regular 2nd toe :)

17. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Wait what. I thought that was normal.
    My middle toes are just as tall as my big toe...

18. techlord

techlord Active Member

nah I can figure it out cool
    the question is do I get all black/black or the gray/palm/clay?

went with all black size 41. they said if any fitment issues just print out a return label and send back for another size. Seem like a fairly chill place to deal with.
    thanks for the link OP these have been on my "to get" list for quite a while

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  19. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I can't understand the guys who wear these in the free weights area

20. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Gemzer has a pair...ask him.

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They help a TON when doing stuff that requires balancing like squats etc.

22. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Not so much when a weight falls ..

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

And a regular tennis shoe will?

24. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

they are actually ideal for squats and deadlifts, as i usually go shoeless when doing both.

the chances of a weight falling onto your feet are very slim

25. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

Rick, let us know what u think when u get yours. Still on the fence on a purchase.

26. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

Once I've gotten mine all broken in I'm toying with the idea of using them when I play racquetball. I think the grip would be pretty good.

27. I have KSOs I got for ~80 bucks at Abbadabbas. I have seen the slip on version online recently for about 55 IIRC.

Yeah Ive worn these to drive in they give me a better feel of the pedals. Although driving shoes was not why I bought them.

I have a really weak ankle Ive rolled it on a flat surface multiple times. Wearing these have made my ankle much stronger. When I first started wearing them my ankles and feet became sore. It is true that you have to have a break in period of about a week or so of constantly wearing them before your feet become accustomed to them. I have taken these shoes on multiple 10+ mile hikes and they did very well. They protect your feet from rocks and sticks and what not pretty well. The added grip is also very nice. I have noticed that when you start sweating your toes will start to slip inside the shoes. Ive found toe socks remedy the problem and also help with any excess room in the shoe.

Overall I really like these shoes and if you're looking for a pair that are well rounded Id definitely recommend the KSOs. Although, there are many different types depending on what you want to wear them for.

[​IMG]

28. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

29. techlord

techlord Active Member

had to send mine back for a larger size.

30. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

sounds familiar....;)

31. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

My brother has a pair and loves them. So I picked my girlfriend up a pair at the scratch and dent sale at REI for 20 bucks!! Not sure which kind they were though.
    I want to get me a pair for running and another pair for trails and rock climbing. I see a lot of people using them at the rock climbing gym. not sure how well they really work for it though

32. techlord

techlord Active Member

So I got the second pair today.
    First, big props Moosejaw for being easy to deal with. Had a second pair shipped out 17 days total including the first pair that didn't fit. Not bad IMO!

With the right size (A MUST) they are comfortable right out of the box. I can see that it will take some getting used to so far as your using muscles you don't normally use. I plan to use for the gym and around the house, yard playing with the kids and what not. If all else fails it will make one hell of a beach shoe. All in all I am happy with them!

33. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

I did my longest trek in mine this past weekend at Sweetwater State Park. We did ~4.5 miles total ~1.2 of which was running on the packed soil and loose sand. The only downside I've found to these is the feeling of gravel on your feet. While they do a create job of protecting your soles, there still is some mild discomfort on loose gravel. However, I do imagine that this will go away after you soles harden.

@techlord I agree. Moosejaw CS is very good. I went through 3 pairs before I got the right size(s) and they even shipped one of the pairs to me without receiving the return.

34. K0nTANK3Rous

K0nTANK3Rous New Member

Dude, they are incredible for rock climbing. I don't know why this wasn't thought of before. You have so much better feel with your feet/toes as well as maneuverability and flexibility. I don't do as much climbing as I used to, older now and body parts and weight play a part in that (+ kids and wife), but for bouldering and small climbing excursions in NC, i've had nothing but great results from them. I also own a pair of the KSO treks and wear them just about anywhere. I actually prefer these over normal shoes now.

35. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

I strongly advise against rock climbing in vibram or barefoot. you will f up your feet, most likely permanently

36. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

im hittin uo another scratch n dent sale at REI tomorrow in hopes to find me a pair. like i said in my earlier post i got my girlfriend a pair at one of these sales for 20 bucks.

37. Flat 4 Scooby

Flat 4 Scooby New Member

I have a pair. I love them. They make driving easier allow me to feel the pedals more.

38. vegasbomber

vegasbomber New Member

those things look crazy, ive only seen socks like that, but they seem very functional... maybe on my outdoor adventures id use them seem nice to have...

39. RoMe

RoMe Active Member