Discussion on bolt in roll cages and/or roll cages in general

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by 07Ltd#767, Feb 16, 2011.

1. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I'm not trying to jack your thread here, but this is totally false. And by totally, I mean TOTALLY

If you're going for safety, please for the love of god don't purchase this. It will help with rigidity, but safety...

case in point: link to story

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

the cage didn't fail on that Mustang Drew, it was the floor pan that failed

3. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

:rofl:

4. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Don't get me wrong I would throw a bolt in cage in my car but for looks only. If your doing it for safety go weld in for sure.... Oh and GLWS.

5. b reel

b reel Active Member

6. 07Ltd#767

lawl

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

You did totally Jack his thread... you showed one case, congrats.... So tell me what the car would have looked like if there wasn't a cage at all. Plus the fact that this car did a flip and landed directly on its roof. As someone else said it was not the cage that failed it was the floorboard of the Mustang that pushed out. It gets old when people spread uneducated rumors over the internet. I'm sure I could find 100 cases where an autopower bar saved a car or a life. I'm not just calling you out when I say this but people really need to learn to formulate educated opinions on there own. Preferably based off of there own experiences, not just what the read on the internet.

8. beav

beav Member

Much appreciation 07Ltd#767.

Funny how no one mentions such safety concerns when others post about using harness bars, racing seats with stock seat belts, 5/6 point harnesses without a head and neck restraint and so on. Anyone who thinks this through will go to a shop like Robinson Racing and have reinforcement plates welded in.

9. 07Ltd#767

Well, since you asked...

Google 'bolt in roll cage fail' and you receive about 94,000 results.

HAHA - so you're telling me a roll cage isn't supposed to protect a car when it lands directly on its roof? What are you putting it in there for, so passengers can hit their head on it every time you take a left hand turn?

dundun, you completely missed the sarcasm with b reel - congratulations, you were just subjected to a term we like to call high brow trolling (fun, isn't it).

truth...thanks for proving this point

and you can find 100x more cases where a welded in cage did the same thing. I'd be willing to bet (sorry I'm uneducated here and making an educated assumption) that the failure rate on a welded cage is substantially less than with bolt in cages.

you want to test this? Put this in your 2.5rs, then 'try' flipping the thing on its roof and let us know your experience. I'll be more interested to see the rigidity of your 12 year old floor pans, since there are only 4 load points on that cage, none of which are geometrically sound. Sorry the world uses the internet as a source of information...I tired of reading magazines about a decade ago, unless i'm taking a shit.

10. 07Ltd#767

it's nothing personal against you, this will make a great addition to someone's 'too fast' style car. I'm just ranting on the safety concerns of it. To that point, why are you caging a car that's not a dedicated track car? I know, I've been down this road, and I've taken my flack for it.

11. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

This is the biggest thing. You should NOT drive a caged car without a helmet on. A fender bender can cause you to hit your head on the crossbar, and that little piece of foam isn't going to save your brain from looking like justin's liver...

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Roll cages in a DD are FTL.

13. beav

beav Member

My post is for people who track their STIs and want to be safer doing so. Rather than argue about safety issues (it's a personal thing that you need to do your own homework on) I just want to sell my rollbar. I sold my STI and no longer need it.

14. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Ok boss I googled it.
    Every result on the first page was a link to the crash of said Mustang...

Again the car was much better off with the cage as it did disperse some impact before it pushed through the floor. Also the "Cage" in question was only a roll bar From what I can tell in the pictures and it wasn't even there "Race" roll bar.

It's called a ROLL BAR, not a front flip cage. The bar that Mustang had in it was marketed for "high performance street use" This is what a flip cage looks like http://driftjapan.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/rhys-millen-flip.jpg

Your argument is invalid when it comes to weld in roll cages. We all know that a properly built one is way better than a bolt in. I never questioned that fact nor was it a part of my message.

What exactly are we testing? If a car dropped on its roof can withstand the impact with a street performance roll bar in it? The mustang already proved it won't. Even with a shitty street performance roll bar I'd say that in 95% of rolls ( Rolls being the key word here) the bar would help in some way.

Let me know if you still don't understand, I'm sure I could come up with some great metaphors for you.

15. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Guys lets drop it. Dude is selling his cage and the point was made. Further discussion should go to PM or start a new thread.

Matter of fact I did it for ya in the Mod Squad forum (Boxer engine thread)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Have fun guys........