Opps, that hurt just a little bit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by John, Feb 19, 2011.

1. John

John Active Member

I was working on an Olds 88 with a 3.8L engine....taking off one of the motor mounts. Damn wrench slipped and this happened

This is my right hand laying flat on the xray table. Thats my pinky all messed up.
    [​IMG]

Ruptured tendon and torn ligaments. Surgery required. Good news is that work is paying for it all (workmans comp) since it happened on the clock.

Bad news is that I can't drive my car now since my right hand is screwed over. And there are about a billion things I wanted to do to my car over the next few months that I'm now unable to do since I'm basically missing a hand lol.

Maybe I will be doing some kind of "come work on johns car for pizza and beer" day or something lol

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. b reel

b reel Active Member

got a good butcher knife and some super glue.

3. John

John Active Member

I have a cut off wheel and JB Weld

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

jb weld takes to long to set, freaking blood will leak and make those parts slippery.

If you want to go all Rambo, I do have a tatical tomahawk

5. John

John Active Member

haha

We can use that to cut my hand off and install a robotic hand so I can drive again

6. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Sorry to hear bout that man..but if you need help hit me up

7. techlord

techlord Active Member

large snips and a butane torch

8. John

John Active Member

thanks man

you're in Dallas? I've probably seen you around. What are you driving? I'm here in Hiram

edit :

I found your thread about your car. I think I've seen you on 92 going towards Douglasville before....and again on Cambelton street...and over by the mall. I've reved and waved a few times. Dunno if you saw me or not

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

Yea i'm in Dallas, haven't made my way out to D'ville in a lil while. Not sure if I've seen u around but I usually wave at fellow Subies too.

10. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I'm right around dallas hwy/bsns. 6. Let me know if you need any help.

I spend more time driving in alpharetta than dallas lol, so I wouldn't be surprised if you never saw my car

11. John

John Active Member

business 6?

12. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Or Atlanta highway. Where you turn off dallas highway to go to downtown dallas. There's a liquor store and shell station outside my neighborhood

13. Ben@TTR

Ben@TTR Member

hope you get better man.....and i thought i was the only one who held their wrenches with their pinky :)

14. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

if it's any consolation, i worked in a manufacturing facility with a guy who had "sheered" the top 2 joints of his pinky off.

he apparently was overzealous with his use of an allen wrench and severly pinched it between a 3/4 AL plate.

15. Raziel1

Raziel1 Member

what more could u ask for?

16. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Actually there is also a deer cooler and butcher shop next to that.All the important things in life, less than 30 seconds from the house

17. John

John Active Member

Ben, I was trying to take the motor mount off the belt side of a GM 3.8L (the one where the serp belt goes through the mount). I was working on the bottom bolts of the mount attaching it to the inner fender. The socket slipped and away went my hand (I was pulling up). Happened so quick I'm not quite sure what happened. Only logical thing I can think of is that my hand hit / twisted between the valve cover and the ignition strip. I was giving it hell too....so my hand was hit pretty hard. I'll tell you what though, I was using a Husky black chrome ratchet. Those things will take anything you throw at them. I like Husky ratchets better then Snap On or Matco ratchets. I've always had good luck with them.

And Bixs, I know just where you are at. We should meet up sometime just to chill. Go grab some pizza or something. You could bring the wife/girlfriend if you have one

Raziel, you and I will have to meet up sometime as well

On a side note - I see the surgeon on Thursday morning to look over my hand and schedule surgery. Wish me luck

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  18. heathbar

heathbar Member

Yikes ouch. :eek3:

19. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I'd take that over what happened to me on christmas eve. My hand was touching my elbow....on the same arm.

But I still bet that hurt like crazy.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2011
  20. John

John Active Member

that sucks. did you fall down a staircase or something?

21. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Go-cart accident...I can't drive as everyone knows.

22. John

John Active Member

I'm seeing the surgeon tomorrow morning. Wish me luck

23. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Yeah man. Hope it's fixable. Like, back to normal, fixable. Lol.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So you been walking around with your finger all like that? Or did they set it back in place and splint?

25. John

John Active Member

Ive been in a splint. Doc is changing the splint and is going to see me in two weeks. Surgery may not be needed

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

26. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Just noticed this thread, and the timing is a little funny to me.

Day before yesterday I was doing a belt and pulley replacement on a 1997 Supercharged Buick Park Avenue with a 3.8.

Both the supercharger and serpentine belts were broken before I even looked at it. I untangled the remnants, started putting the new belt on, and then had the realization of "What the FUCK! Do I SERIOUSLY have to remove the engine mount just to do a fucking BELT!?!

I especially like how to get at one of the engine mount bolts, you have to pull the power steering pulley. Yeah, that's great. Give me a width of about four inches to use a pulley puller.

HORRIBLE design. Screw you and your little dog too, GM. Bastards.

Anyway... sorry about the rant. I feel a little better. I hope everything goes okay with your hand and you're using it again ASAP.

27. John

John Active Member

Haha yeah they are stupid. The bolt that did it to me was one of the bottom ones holding the mount to the fender.

Andthe ps pump....lol. the tool to take the pulley off works and fits, but the tool to press it back on wont fit. Its fucking retarded

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2