06 Impreza Sedan Auto to Manual Trans. Swap

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by feebnap, Mar 5, 2011.

1. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I'm thinking of getting an 06 Impreza sedan and swapping it with an EJ25/STI 6-speed tranny. Before you tell me to not bother or check google, I'll cover my ass and say that I'd be getting a good deal on the car, can't afford an STI and I've checked google already and I'm finding all different years, apart from 06.

I'm mainly concerned about wiring. If you know what I'm going to need, please help! :)

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

a wrecked 06-07 STi

3. feebnap

feebnap New Member

I figured that I would be doing so, but is there anything else that I would need? Sounds stupid because they're different, but a guy that I work with is in the process of an auto to manual swap in his 240 and he has run into nothing but problems. I'm trying to convince my fiancé let me get the car and I'm trying to put up a valid argument that it won't be so hard for us to swap it. He's a 50/50 right now.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I've never been involved with the swap personally, but as I understand it, it is a true pain in the ass. You'll have several weeks if not a few months of work ahead of you depending on your schedule. :)

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

It will be hard and it is not worth it unless you are getting the car for free. You are better off saving up money and buying the car you want instad of investing the time and money into swapping everything over.

6. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Yes it could be a PITA but if you're into it...it's fun and plus you'll get to learn the in's and outs of your car. Plus there's quite a few very knowledgeable members on here that are always willing to help (for beer and food).

Buying a wrecked STI is the way to go rather than piecing things together.

GL

7. feebnap

feebnap New Member

That's basically what you guys suggested a couple of weeks ago, which I'm going to do as soon as I can get a car/pay it off. My biggest concern is the auto to manual swap. From all of the complaints that I've already heard, they say it's not worth it.

By the way, we're the ones that have the Accessport up there to get a divorce with his old ecu.