Getting rid of coolant smell

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by cannarella, Feb 1, 2011.

1. cannarella

cannarella Member

So one evening last week when I was pulling into church I smelled the sweet smell of a coolant leak. I thought now what. As I parked a huge amount of steam was coming from under the hood. I popped the hood and it was steaming and wet everywhere on the front and top of the motor. I could not tell the where the leak was so I just went inside knowing there was nothing I could do right then to start fixing it. When I came out everything was cooled off and I could start looking around. I pulled the radiator cap and it was low but the tops of the tubes were under coolant so that was good. I looked in the upper reservoir and it was low but not empty. Then I started squeezing the top hose and some fluid came out. There was a 1 in slit on the back side of the hose. Come to find out when I put in the Mishimoto radiator a year ago I didn't cut the top hose enough so it cleared the alternator. At the time I put it in it was clear but I guess not by enough. So I was able to limp home with some duct tape and lose radiator cap. I got everything fixed the next evening with a new hose form Napa and I was sure to cut it back more to leave space.

Now my problems is all that fluid that sprayed back on the engine block. Every time I drive it smells of coolant. I have already dumped water on the block trying to avoid electrical components when it is cold to dilute any leftovers that may be pooled up and the smell has gotten less noticeable. It has helped, but I want to see if anyone has any other cheep ideas to get rid of it completely. I am sure I have no other leaks and think it is just the residue.

Andy

2. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

You may just want to consider cleaning the engine bay.

3. cannarella

cannarella Member

DIY or professional. I have never done it and don't want to risk anything. What does something like that cost? Thanks Alex. I still need to send you that shirt back... ;-)

4. Alex

Well you can DIY if you'd like. You may want to consider covering some of the more sensitive plugs and you'll want the block to have sat overnight or so and cool off.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Simple green works well. Just make sure you cover your air filter if you have an open element filter.

6. The same thing happened to me with my Koyo radiator except it was the fans that cut the upper radiator hose. Id just take it to a car wash place if you dont want to DIY. I dont think it would be all that expensive.

7. cannarella

cannarella Member

Thanks guys, sounds like simple green and pouring water will do the trick.

8. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

Use the simple green Automotive stuff. Cleans just as well, but 100% non-corrosive. No weird residue left over. :)

9. Alex

Make sure to take some before/after photos if you do decide to clean the entire engine bay. I'd like to see the results :)

10. REX

REX New Member

Ya get that off soon so you don't always think you have leaking coolant lol...I would be paranoid bro...