Killer B Oil Pick Up Tube Install

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Unidub, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Unidub

Unidub Member

Just picked up a Killer B oil pick up tube.
    Im going to install it soon.
    I know it involves some disassembly obviously to get it installed.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what else I should replace while im there.
    Any bushings, mods, seals / gaskets, mounts.
    I know ill replace the oil pan gasket but any other suggestions.
    I do autox extensively so if there are any other suggestions let me know.
    Thanks

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

make sure you don't pull an mmtasty and leave a bolt or two on on the back side, and then mangle the oilpan that you were trying to reuse

3. Unidub

Unidub Member

Haha Ill make note of that.

4. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

You are keeping the stock oil pan right? The killer b oil pan is a piece of junk.

5. Unidub

Unidub Member

Yeah im keeping the stock one.

6. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Just take your time with it. The rear bolts are a PITA and may require tilting the engine. I had sockets slim enough to snake in there and fit. DO NOT USE a 12 pt socket....make sure you are using 6 pt sockets or else you will round the bolt out easily. Also when reinstalling the bolts it does not need to be he-manned on. Look up the tq spec...it isn't much.

As for extra parts....many do Group-N engine mounts at the same time.

7. b reel

b reel Active Member

clean the area before you pull the pan. Last thing you want is a big greasy chunk of road grime fall into your oil pan as you're trying to install it back on.

8. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Don't use shitty 12 point sockets, if you have good ones they work fine.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Better yet don't use 12 pt at all. Easy enough.

10. slowwrx

How about don't buy shitty tools

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

So my full set of Snap-On's are shitty?

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I had to use the swivel socket things to get my pan off. The pan, btw, does not want to come off, even with the bolts out. We had to use a huge pry bar and go in through the wheel arches to get mine off. IIRC you just use fujibond as the gasket when putting it back on.

13. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Correct......a little light prying (careful not to mar up the surface too much) and a rubber 5 lb mallet did the trick for me.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

two cheap thick blade scrapers at each front corner and the pan will just pop off. last thing you want to do is gouge the gasket surface or bend the pan.

15. slowwrx

If you rounded off those bolts with a 12 point snap-on socket you are doing it wrong.

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I do everything wrong...:rofl:

17. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

i don't think that would've done the trick for mine. I would also recommend removing all the old gasket material and replacing, so it wouldn't matter if you messed that up.

18. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I dont think its been mentioned yet, but you'll want a puddy knife to break the fuji bond seal.

19. b reel

b reel Active Member

putty knife gasket scraper pocket knife

20. ballistic

ballistic Member

Definitely dont gouge up the block, I've seen way too much of that. Also the gasket is all silicone, so make sure you clean all the oil off the sealing surface so the silicone will stick

21. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Definitely loosen the engine mount bolts and lift the engine about a couple of inches with an extra jack. It will help with the rear bolts. Seriously, I decided not to do this and spent 6 hours on trying to retap the two rear bolts b/c I didn't screw them in at the right angle. Plus you had to angle the oil pan to remove it and install. Such a pain!!!

Lesson learned, trying to pass on the knowledge.

22. REX

REX New Member

What is the difference between the stock pick up tube and the Killer B one???

23. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Materials and method of bonding.

OEM is thin metal that is brazed on. VERY weak and very susceptable to vibration fatigue.

Killer b is thick metal and is WELDED. Also has much beefier and more bracing to combat vibration fatigue.

24. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Killer B

[​IMG]

Stock Failure
    [​IMG]