Anybody have an Android tablet?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Kokopelli, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I'm looking to get one but there are so many options and very few of them have good reviews.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

subscribed.

I want to pick up some type of tablet in the near future to entertain me on flights/in the airport

3. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Xoom. Get the Wifi version when its out in a few weeks.

4. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I forgot to mention that one of the criteria is that it is in the 200-250 range.

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

the wifi version is out at Sam's/Costco

[​IMG]

6. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

no sam's club/costco around here has it.

at least not on either website/selecting specific stores

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

have you called all of them?

Either way, I was just stating that the wifi version is out and way beyond his price range.

Moving on...

8. Matt

9. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Last edited: Mar 8, 2011
  10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

^^ this!

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I like the idea of the nook but I haven't read great reviews about the performance:(

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

that's why you install honeycomb.

13. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

The archos 70 is just a little more (260-270) and has bluetooth and a better processor. It just doesn't have the developer support that the Nook has.

I'm torn between the two.

14. integroid

That is what I meant...the reviews on installing honeycomb on the nook have been mixed.

15. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Don't you have Tmobile? Guy at work got the galaxy tab for $199 or something stupid cheap. Not the fastest tablet, but the screen is nice. I don't think he had to add a line either. They are trying to get rid of them as the Galaxy Tab 2 is coming out soon.

16. C_wagginz

C_wagginz Member

He actually convinced them to let him use his phone upgrade on the tablet, keep his cell line, and he somehow manged to get like $50 out of it...

Unless you're referring to someone else....

17. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

The galaxy sucks. I would really go for the nook.

18. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Nope...same guy, thanks for clearing that up. I couldn't remember what he did exactly.

19. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

The Archos 101 looks good to me, as Archos seems to be one of the few mfrs who's got consistently decent reviews. But nearly $400 for 16GB.

20. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

There is not a big dev following for archos

21. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I have a galaxy tab from work. It could be a little faster, but since I paid nothing for it and just get to use it for whatever I absolutely love it. Smaller screen is nice as I can take it anywhere and it's nicer browsing/reading on it compared to my phone.

22. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I just ordered an elocity a7 for 299 shipped.

23. vegasbomber

vegasbomber New Member

i myself got a "Viewsonic G-tablet" from my wife. woot had a sale on it for 289, but i got mine for 379... the stock software sucks on this but over at XDA the development for this tablet has a big community. I loaded up a custom rom and boom AWESOMENESS works and gets pretty good battery life. i play games, logmein, and web browse like a madman, flash support, only drawback is no honeycomb but after google opens its source for it i see it making its way into this tablet...

g-tablet vs xoom

xoom has honeycomb, back camera, gps, 3g/4g, thiner

id personaly go with xoom for the extra features but the price is way to expensive... and everything else is 7" with same specs as g-tablet...

24. integroid

My father purchased a Viewsonic G-Tablet for my daughter as a birthday present. Like Vegas, the stock rom really sucked and was buggy out of the box. Plus it did not have android market loaded on it. I loaded a new rom on it and this thing is now great. My daughter loves it and I like it so much I am tempted to go out and buy one for myself. I am really impressed with it so far.

25. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

http://support.vzw.com/pdf/system_update/galaxy_tab.pdf

Awesome. Immediately noticed a difference in browsing. Before I could barely view threads with 10+ pictures (such as the spring install day thread). It seems like it just scrolls down better now. Guessing that's part of the "Browser performance and speed".

26. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I know this is old but I got a Nook Color for $180. Rooted it and running cyanogenmod7. So far it rocks. Honeycomb was a little buggy as a lot of the apps aren't screen sized correctly yet.

And make sure you install the Daligrin kernel...overclocks from 800 to 1200.

27. cMags

cMags Member

+1 for CM7.. not on a tablet but running it on my phone as my daily driver with great results. Highly recommended if its available for your device.

Sent from my Evo Shift using Tapatalk

28. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I have an Archos 43. Wiped the goofy OS it shipped with and installed Froyo (2.2) on it the day I bought it. Comes with either 8 or 16 gig internal ($175 and $220 respectively) with microSD slot up to 32 gigs and a 1 Ghz processor.

The 43 is just barely bigger than most phones but I bought it to have a cheap portable video player for travel. The device has a wide range of supported formats (MPEG-2, AVI, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, MPG, PS, TS, VOB, FLV, RM, RMVB, ASF, 3GP) as well as a cheesy kick stand and built in speakers that do the job. The screen looks great and I have pretty decent battery life.

The biggest problem I have with it is the screen is resistive so the responsiveness is substandard compared to the newer capacitive screens. The tablet also has a rear facing camera but the HD Video I have recorded with it is fairly marginal. If you are looking for a bunch of apps/games I would say look elsewhere but this was just what I needed for a cheap portable media player with 6+ hours of battery life.:wiggle:

29. Matt

my roommate just picked up the Asus Transformer. So far, it's awesome.