Throwin a code lil help please

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by stimanmark, Mar 8, 2011.

1. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

So my engine light came on the other day and the cruise light is flashing so scanned it at work and it read....cylinder 3 misfire. I have Trust cone filter, catless downpipe, weld on muffler. Any ideas? Anybody had this problem before? why is the cruise lighting up? please help

I put iridium plugs in my car about a yr ago....i have done compression tests before and everything checked out.

Im about to do my headgaskets, headbolts, valve seals

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

cruise light flashing is usually an overboost IIRC

are you tuned?

3. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

the cruise light comes on anytime the CEL comes on. It's to help get your attention. You'd be surprised at the people who ignore the CEL.

with those mods, do you have any sort of tune or anything?

4. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

no tuning. i have talked to serval ppl that have had the same setup with no issues until getting tuned. My understanding was that with this a tune will help but isnt necessary

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Why are you about to do the above?

How many miles are on the car? Misfire could be from a bad plug, coil pack, injector, etc. Could be a lot of things but I would start with the listed above.

6. Id start by clearing the codes,swapping the coil on 3 to another cylinder to see if the misfire follows and go from there. If not Id check for vacuum leaks, basic stuff.

7. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

assume no cats at all

8. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

I didnt think about that....thanks for the help

9. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

huh?

10. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

88k on my car, thanks for the help

11. dragonle87

dragonle87 New Member

What's the code?

12. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

dont remember the number and all.....but it reads Cylinder #3 misfire

13. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

weird thing..... I have always put 93-O in my car....here lately the one gas station that i had been getting my gas from....didnt have ethanol in their gas. Well now they do and i have put 3/4 tank of gas of that crapanol in my car twice. After that was when my engine light came on. 2 days ago i filled my car up with non-ethanol and drove down the road and the light went out. Went home, took a shower......got back in my car and started it.....engine light came back on :-/

14. John

John Active Member

That would be p0303 iirc

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

15. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

yea pretty sure it was that code

16. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

well the #3 spark plug is either melted or has alot of carbon build up.....i went to back the plug out and it was tight as crap....same way with tighting it back up. So it will stay in there til im ready to pull the engine and pull the heads off for headgasket work. Might have to fix that spark plug hole......oh well.....parts ordered....now for them to get here so i can get the engine pulled. joy joy!

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

e rode ed e lec trode = no fire under boost

would be more concerned about valve seats than the valve seals

18. stimanmark

stimanmark Member

car only misfires when its cold.....once warmed up it runs just fine