Test and Tune Friday night 4/1

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Mike@TTR, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

So you survived the night! Have you been kicked out yet?

2. motomark

motomark Loudest fuel pump Tucker Supporting Member

3. John

John Active Member

That sucks. Did it drive home OK (or at least make it)? I saw you driving out of the track...puffin smoke out the exhaust

I think I saw you leaving. I got there about 7:45 - 8:00 and you were driving away

Mike, did you get any pics / video of my car by chance?

On a side note - for those who care to know. What broke on my car was really stupid. It was the snap ring on the bottom of the white plastic thing on the bottom of the shift handle. The damn ring fell off / broke off sometime lastnight...so on that pass when I threw the car into 3rd, my whole shifter came up into the cab and I couldn't shift anymore lol. I was able to get it half - assed pieced together in the parking lot. I ordered a new snap ring from SoK today and it will be here on Monday. I think the snap ring failed because I bent it a little bit when I installed the short shifter (I didn't have snap ring plyers)

Last edited: Apr 2, 2011
  4. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Dang, didn't Delette just say in the other thread (that seems to have disappeared?) that it will blow because he built it? JINX

5. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

For some reason, I thought someone told me your center diff was gone. I misinterpreted it then.

6. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, everyone thought it was the center diff but it was actually the rear diff and a broken rear axle. Much cheaper and easier to change than the center diff:)

7. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Deborah was in charge of video...not sure who all she got. I know she got one of Techlord's runs, not sure what else though.

8. John

John Active Member

Find out if she got one of mine please. Even thouh I could have done much better I would still like to see it

Sent from my Android powered HTC HD2

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Nope not one of your runs. She may not have recognized the car.

10. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Techlord's car with breel driving.

[youtube]q1Um3bo69v4[/youtube]

11. integroid

Isn't that WRBoxer's brother driving the Z06?

12. techlord

techlord Active Member

Don't know but if brian would have had a better launch and drove it like he stole it he may have taken the Z06. Looks like the problems with my car started on that run...hint hint. lol

13. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Yeah. Hes normally in the 11.7# range @~125. Commerce is thought be a slow track round my typical car group. Hell the best my car trapped was 106 off the interstate, all down hill from there. Ran 3 13.0's with 1.7-1.8 60's @ 105 lol. Pathetic.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

That 6-puck is the worst fucking POS I have experienced. The release I could live with but the clutch sucks. I still managed to salvage a 13.17 out of that run. He pulled on me hard once he hit second, I stumbled on third and we know the rest...

15. John

John Active Member

What were you driving Brian?

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

Rick's coupe

17. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Wrong car....iirc Tech was driving his DD coupe...not the race car.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sucks to hear everyone broked their cars. Ah I don't miss it a bit.

19. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

I think it does have your old motor in there, but I could be wrong. I may be getting his coupes mixed up, lol.

20. techlord

techlord Active Member

nope has Mr.Coffee's old engine with new pistons.
    looking like cam seal on the passenger head and hoping for a PCV or valve seal causing the oil through the exhaust.

21. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Gotcha. I thought breel had said something about the motor living up to the jinx coolbimmer placed on it, lol.

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Gaylord has two swapped coupes that are both black so people mix them up.

23. techlord

techlord Active Member

Don't know how cumguzzlingbimmer, one is flawless the other looks like a beater.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL dude who looks at the details ;)

25. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Techlord, any news other than the cam seal?

26. John

John Active Member

I would like to know the same. I was in staging so I didnt see much but i saw the aftermath

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

the oily mess was a cam seal.
    compression test results
    150/90/150/60
    guess I will have her out in the next day or so.

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Dude that sucks......

29. techlord

techlord Active Member

many ways to look at this. I'm looking from a different angle.
    First I have another swapped coupe that was designed for this abuse
    Second I have yet to build an engine.
    Third this gives me a reason to get rid of this dreaded ACT 6puck clutch.

Now, once I got her out of paint, I realized she was going to be a garage queen except for meets, weekends and summer fun. As I see it she is right where she belongs in the garage protected. She just won't be going anywhere for a while as I decide what route I want to take.

30. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well don't let Koko build it :keke: I've seen a trend of failed compression test motors from him. Yeah I just went there.

31. techlord

techlord Active Member

WE expected nothing less from you.

32. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL.

I say build the next one all by yourself dude. You will enjoy it a lot and you have access to the perfect teacher if you have questions :)

33. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I don't think any of the cracked ringlands were the result of an assembly error.

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sure it was.....you assembled a stock piston motor when you know better esp on a hybrid ;)

:rofl:

But if ya talking about your motors......sarcasm...you totally missed it.

35. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

I would have thrown in some mahles but I only had 3 at the time.

I have 4 mahle 2618's now so maybe I'll drop those in this time.

Rick's block was originally intended to be a back up for me. If I had another failure it was going back to stock anyway so the stock sti pistons would have been fine.

36. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

Am I reading that cyl 2 and 4 are low? if so I would expect the headgasket.

37. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

2 and 4 are low

4 having 60 psi

If it is the case of a headgasket than it very well could be an assembly error.

The odd part is that the failure put enough pressure in the system to pop a cam seal out and fill the intake plumbing with oil.

38. integroid

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Hey rick, I have a set of mahle 2618 pistons I would give you cheap if needed.

39. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Cheaper than the free set I have?

40. techlord

techlord Active Member

Hell yeah!!!
    Anyone want to pay me to take theirs? haha

Hopefully its just a headgasket as we discussed and doug mentioned. We know as soon as I get time to play.

41. Allpro Subaru

Allpro Subaru Registered Vendor Supporting Member

Hey Eddie is the Leg back on the road?

42. b reel

b reel Active Member

Eddie, does it drive like a Honda?

43. integroid

Not yet, haven't had time to get the parts in. Plus Andy is doing some more work on it as well while it is down.

44. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Got the drivers side head off yesterday and #4 cylinder wall is a little scuffed up. Definately looks like ringlands on #4.

#2 was low because a small piece of debris embedded in an intake valve seat was keeping it from sealing. The oil out the front came from the exhaust cam seal that pushed out on the drivers head.

45. integroid

That sucks:(

46. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Sorry to hear man. Those stock pistons really don't like hybrids for the most part.

47. John

John Active Member

That really sucks. Whats going to happen with the cylinder walls? Are you able to hone them?

48. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

Someone post videos...would love to see and hear the cars. I drove up there just to see a couple of cars and FAIL!!!!

49. John

John Active Member

I had a passanger who recorded this on the cell phone.

I've been told the STI was 500awhp. I don't know how true that is since he wasn't that much faster then I was.

[youtube]9A4p1FoEoEY[/youtube]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  50. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I was told he was having some sort of electrical issues halfway through the quartermile. Car would just not go past a certain mph or rpm. Can't remember. Correct me if I'm wrong. I forgot, it's been a few weeks.

Any clips of Eddie's monster?