sti oil leak...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Sakari Motorsports, May 5, 2011.

1. I just picked up this bone stock 04 sti with 87k miles two weeks ago.
    I jacked up the car for brake pads today and noticed oil leaks.

Please help me identify this leak...

Thanks guys!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. b reel

b reel Active Member

could be a number of things, seal on oil pump, oil pump, cam seals, valve covers, ACVS supply lines, someone poured half a quart on the motor when doing an oil fill. might want to pull the front timing belt covers off and check for signs of oil there

3. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Damn thats alot of oil...hard to tell from those pics.

But you may want to spray that bottom down really good with brake cleaner. Drive it around and look back under, see where thats coming out of.

4. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Looks like cam and cranck seals along with oil filter adapter/cooler o-ring seal and possible valve cover gaskets

5. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

so pretty much everything, lol

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Hopefully not, but it certainly looks to be that way.

7. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Man has this been rebuilt at all? Telltale signs of an improperly rebuilt engine. I would start with pulling the timing covers and see if you can see more under there.

8. I'm sure the oil leaked for a long period of time as it looks like the previous owner didn't take care of the car... which is why it's all over the place.

I'm gonna wash it down good and drive around to hopefully narrow down where the leak is coming from.

Someone on Nasioc suggested to unscrew the two allen bolts in the bottom of the oil pump and put permatax on the thread and rescrewing them on there. I might try that first.

9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

I've NEVER seen those things leak.

10. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Then I guess it never happens...

11. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

LOL I didn't say it won't...just never seen it before. Looking at the pics it looks like it coming from there but it can just as easily collect there due to it's location and the fact it's lower than the other parts around it.

12. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

ive seen the oil pump leak at the allen head bolts and tried taking them out and re-sealed them but they just came back leaking even worse. i used fujibond on the treads to re-seal them. called subaru and they said only way to stop the leak at those allen head bolts is to get a new oil pump.

13. so took it in to all pro subaru and need to replace the valve cover gasket and power steering pump... anyone have power steering pump for sale?

14. tolnep

tolnep Member

that would be my assumption. looks like oil is everywhere.

i guess i would try to clean all of it up and then see if i could figure out where it was coming from... and start pricing a replacement long block or rebuild costs of existing motor.

15. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

call TopSpeed and talk to Ball. i know he used an aftermarket on his build and may still have his stock one laying around

16. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

So that was you yesterday. I was the one with the black wrx.

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Did you check with AllPro?

18. :wavey:
    It was nice meeting you... get them coilovers! haha

So I think I just found a power steering pump used from Nasioc. I'm going to have All Pro install them along with new valve cover gasket. Hope it fixes the leaks! :sx:

19. replaced left valve cover gasket and power steering pump at Allpro Subaru.

no more leaks!

and replaced tranny oil with cocktail and no more 4th gear grinds! ;)