Thoughts on AEM Intake on 2011 WRX

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by rsutton1223, Jun 10, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I have been fighting back and forth with the idea of bolting up an AEM intake on my '11 WRX.

Depending on where you read...people are saying it doesn't do anything all the way to up to 23hp increase at the wheels. I already have a Cobb AP so it would be switching to the stage 1 + AEM tune.

Anyone have any experience with these?

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The stock airbox works better all the way up to 400hp on the 2011s.

We usually ask people with Cold Air Intakes to bring their stock air boxes with them for tunes.

Matt

3. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

That answers that! Thanks Matt.

4. Smurfzilla

Smurfzilla Member

Does the same go for 2008's?

5. slowwrx

Yes Sir

6. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

This holds true for 04-11 STis right?

7. slowwrx

Yes Sir, I think the maf maxs out earlier on the 04-07 cars but I'm not sure. Thats more of a Doug question.

Matt

8. pleiades

pleiades Member

Put the money you would spend on that intake towards a good drop in filter and a protune you will be much better off than that off the shelf map.

IMO

9. JJang12

JJang12 Active Member

There is a gain with CAI with stock turbo subaru. It's just not a significant gain as catless downpipe.

10. slowwrx

The gain is not worth what you give up, the Maf curve on almost all of the aftermarket intakes creates some kind of drive-ability problem. Ill take perfect drive-ability over the extra 3.7hp any day.

11. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Agreed, I have told people to take them off and sell them. Depending on the turbo, you can max out the stock box only due to the diameter of the MAF housing, but the box itself will flow plenty of air above and beyond what the stock turbos will be realistically good for.