td04 to 16g

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by creaturewrx, Jun 28, 2011.

1. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

if i was to swap my stock td04 for a 16g would i need a new downpipe and turbo inlet?! I have godspeed catless downpipe and amr turbo inlet with indivia catless uppipe... any help!!!!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Not sure what the inlet size is on the two turbos, but downpipe would be fine. You also may need to swap injectors and fuel pump

3. techlord

techlord Active Member

no as long as its a stock location 16g for a wrx or sti it will work fine. You will need a tune
    edit: and injectors as drew says and most likely a walbro which one is for sale here somewhere

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

no but you will need a tune

5. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

thanks!!! yes in the market for a tune,fuel pump,injectors. just have to buy one at a time! a friend has the 16g turbo for $160 so i think i will jump on it! thanks again!!!!

6. XanRules

XanRules Active Member

What brand of 16g is it? $160 is frighteningly low for a 16g. Use caution.

7. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

ditto, he had better be a real good friend...

8. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

i'll find out the brand tomorrow I only have a low res pic of it.. no shaft play

9. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

could also be a 16g from another car...not all 16gs will fit on a Subaru. Make sure it is the correct flanges, etc.

10. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

how would i go about comparing the flange if I dont have another one to compare? can i measure it??

11. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

um - look up what the sizes and bolt patterns are for the subaru pieces and make sure they match patterns on the turbo you're buying?

just do a little research. You'll be happy you did when you inevitably hit snags down the road

12. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

13. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

all right so I got it! NO SHAFT PLAY!! aprox. 10,000 miles on it! Its a td05 16g evo111 came off a 2005 sti. The guys car was sold and turbo was taken off for other car but it didn't fit. His loss my gain.

14. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

15. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

ahhaaa yeah!

16. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

I had looked at this ad a few days ago. IMO, inspect it yourself before you make the purchase to make sure it's not worn out.

17. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The downpipe should have 5 bolt holes and the exhaust housing inlet should have a round hole but the outside of the flange should be shaped like a triangle.

Matt

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

you could always put pics of it up on here and we could tell you whether its in good shape/the right turbo etc. and i guess if its not worthwhile you're only out $160 and not the $800+ they run new

19. creaturewrx

creaturewrx Member

there is no shaft play. and I put my other td04 up to the 16g and holes match up perfect. thanks guys! we'll see how she runs possible this week.

new install this week hopefully
    v2 + protune
    16g
    walbro
    and new injectors

20. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

any UPDATES

21. goixiz

goixiz Active Member

not sure about your Downpipe - if its a bell mouth or DWG than you are good. I did not see an upgraded TMIC on your list of upgrades - that will help if its stock wrx.

Make sure you chk the oil lines
    chk the WG function while its out of the car - its easier