Brake fluid / bed in advice

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Kupertrooper, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Kupertrooper

Kupertrooper New Member

I'm about to do some brake work and would like some advice from the community on a couple things. First, my car is a stock 2003 WRX. I've purchased SS lines, ebc yellow pads and i'm replacing the rotors (non-slotted non-drilled from napa) while i'm at it. I'm keeping the stock calipers.

1. Brake fluid.
    Should I use a high performance fluid such as Motul 600 or 5.1? Where can I buy it locally? I called TopSpeed and they have to order it.
    I'm going to try out the ebc yellows which are high dust, race pads. I don't care about dust or noise, only performance. Is DOT 3/4 fluid that I can pick up anywhere good enough?

2. Bed in
    So the bed in procedure for the yellow pads requires a little more heat to bring them to operating temperature. I live around chamblee. Can anyone recommend a good location where I can bed the brakes in safely? I'm thinking the access road between Shallowford and Chamblee Tucker I-85, I can loop around there without coming to a complete stop.
    I've never done this before so any advice would be appreciated.

3. Side effects
    Are there any side effects from these changes that i need to consider? Such as other things failing due to higher temperatures radiating from the brakes?

Thanks!

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I have 3 new bottles of Motul 600 if you are looking for some locally. I think I paid $20 a bottle. Will sell them for $15 a bottle if you come to me to pick up.

3. Kupertrooper

Kupertrooper New Member

Are you saying you'll deliver for $20/bottle. hah, pm sent.

4. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Just follow the bed-in procedure on the package for the pads and you should be alright. You can probably use part of 85 later in the evening if you need to really do the more aggressive stopping (80 to 40, e.g.).

5. Kupertrooper

Kupertrooper New Member

Thanks Alex.

Was up a little later than I had hoped :420: but everything feels good, I probably need to bleed a couple more times. Doing tires and alignment tuesday.

I've been feeling like something is weird with the front passenger suspension lately. When I hit bumps in the road sometimes I hear a "boingy" sound, kind of like a spring or piece of metal. When I had the wheel off I could see an oily substance on the front passenger shock, all the others were clean. Maybe I should address the suspension before spending money on an alignment and tires?

Also, The access road was perfect, it was so early in the morning there were very few cars out.

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

At the very least you should consider cleaning the strut / suspension assembly to diagnose where the oil is coming from as it could be just standard road grime. I'm not sure how many miles on your suspension but the struts could be reaching their end of life or perhaps your spring is no longer seated correctly.

7. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

when it comes to brake fluid the only thing you get with dot 4 is a higher boiling temp. really dosnt do much unless your tracking your car. as for dot 3 fluid if your looking for the best then go get some toyota. on a scale of 1to10 toyota is a 10 ford is a 1 being the worse.

8. tallgeese2

tallgeese2 Member

sounds like you have a blown strut