what will start to go

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Jul 4, 2011.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

hi... as you guys know i have a bugeye with stock turbo, running the stage 2 map from accessport with according mods from 70k miles and now i have 165k miles on the clock. i can feel the car losing power slightly and the tranny a bit more knotchy, but it still runs strong. so far i replaced:

clutch, timing belt, water pump
    ignition starter
    alternator
    vacuum leak somewhere i could not find so took it to a shop
    spark plugs
    clean up the idle/air control valve
    clean up the maf sensor
    A/C recharge and leak fix
    o2 sensor
    new radiator and hose

current problems:
    front C/V axle boots ripped and been running that way for about 1k miles
    lost two wheel studs on both front and rear drivers side
    car is eating coolant... have to fill it up once in a while (about 6 month interval)
    clunks everywhere (i have prodrives and d-specs) but not an issue to me I guess
    brakes a bit mushy (never bled the brakes till now so its only my fault)

scared to find out what will happen next haha. should I start saving up for a 6-speed tranny swap?

Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
  2. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

6 speed tranny should always be in back of bugeye owners heads.

3. mokinbird87

yup... with the plans that i have for the car anyhow hehehe

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

6 speed Tranny and a motor build. That engine is getting old and you don't see many of them make it to 200k.

5. mokinbird87

what kind of components should i be looking at? how much will the price be vs a new motor swap?

6. slowwrx

6 speed wise keep your eye open for an 07 and up STI 6 speed or my personal favorite a Legacy Spec B. 6 speed. The Legacy tranny has a better 5th and 6th ratio than the STI tranny and doesn't have DCCD.

Engine wise, it just depends how much power you want to make and what your intended use is.

So what you gonna do with it and how much power do you want to make?

7. mokinbird87

i would like around 400hp at the crank with the flattest torque curve... seriously considering a twin scroll set up especially after going for a ride in jon's(allpro) car. I want to set up the car so that it can outrun most of the things on the highway and be competitive in auto-x. I think im gonna daily drive this thing and then just buy something like a mercedes diesel suv for long road trips/ date mobile.

8. slowwrx

Theres lots of options available for 400hp. You could do a stock EJ257, You could do a EJ257 with forged pistons or you could do something different like a stroker EJ20. I've been wanting to build one of those. 79mm Stroke crank in a EJ20 block with some custom pistons gets you just under 2.2 liters of displacement. In theory there are all kinds of advantages to having more stroke and a smaller bore.

9. mokinbird87

yea... probably will have the new tranny before christmas this year and then just pray for my engine to keep working till i can start on a build

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

Less mass at the rod end is always a plus

11. slowwrx

Less mass at the Rod end as well as the ability to run less timing since the flame doesn't have to travel as far across the piston.

12. mokinbird87

i just wanna redline at 8K all day everyday... is that an expensive request? haha

13. slowwrx

Not at all 8K is easy.

14. mokinbird87

man i`m doing a lot of reading on nabisco about building the ej205, but it seems like a whole bunch of opinions but no straight facts

15. slowwrx

Its pretty simple

EJ205 crank....awesome
    EJ205 Rods.....400hp limit....usually the rod bolts break but its hard to tell after.
    EJ205 Pistons.....Garbage.....on racegas you can make it to 400hp sometimes.
    EJ205 Block....Good to 450....500hp if you pin the deck

EJ257.....all good except for the pistons
    Block itself is good up to about 600hp on stock sleeves if you pin the deck
    If you don't bore the engine or keep it to under .010

The only reason to build the 205 is if you are on a strict budget, otherwise its better to just do a EJ257.

16. mokinbird87

so if all i want is:
    -400 hp at the crank
    -8K redline
    -quick throttle response (not neccesarily high torque)
    -reliability

it CAN be done with just building my stock block as long as it holds compression?

17. mokinbird87

or just go with a lower mileage 257 and call it a day for a while till i have more funds for a proper build in the future...

18. slowwrx

Yep either way will work if you only want 400 at the crank then a 205 build would be good

19. mokinbird87

i may be / will be completely wrong since i dont know anything about the motor build, but here are some components i would like to upgrade to (personally) so that the motor will not only reach the power goals, but most importantly feel good when pushed:

equal length header
    EWG set up (pref bigger size so its not as loud )
    TGV delete
    lighter pulleys
    small twin scroll turbo (dont know which one yet... blouch's 19T looks like a cheap alternative without going twin scroll but probably would struggle to hit the power goal)
    better flowing intake manifold (from the design aspect cosworth one looks like it will do very well, but will probably cost an arm and a leg)
    more aggresive cams (from doing the readings it looks like losing coolant may be an issue at the head gasket, so might as well do some work at the head)
    balanced crankshaft
    pistons and rods?

20. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

I know i've been out of the loop for a couple years, but did something happen that made doing a 5MT > 6MT swap more economical than a 5MT RA or PPG gearset swap?

21. YOMANDO

YOMANDO Member

let me know when your ready to purchase a 6speed trans and EJ25 from my old 05' STI with 45k miles. I'll let both go for $4000.

22. slowwrx

The 6MT swaps have gotten pretty cheap and the RA gearsets are unreliable. The PPGs are still stupid money and the 6 speed is still a better street tranny.

monk likes this.
  23. slowwrx

I did the pricing on a Stroker EJ20 vs a built EJ257 and they are within 250 dollars of each other I would just do a EJ257.

24. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

We have seen RA's fail just as easy as the 2003+ 5 speeds. Just not a great option.

25. mokinbird87

sorry but the first thing on my mind comes to; what is wrong with it? sounds too good to be true...

26. YOMANDO

YOMANDO Member

there is nothing wrong with either of them, i am local so i can show you when your ready.

27. mokinbird87

i am hit with a dilemma of keeping this car and just fixing whatever the problems arise or just sell it when i can and buy something super cheap to drive until i can afford what i really want...

28. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

slowwrx surely knows his engines. I've spent hours in the past just picking his brains and he never fails to name all the options that he has either done or researched. He can definately help ya make a logical decision on rebuild options (it doesn't hurt that his uncle has a machine shop so he knows all the ins and outs).

29. slowwrx

I've had a lot of Subarus and if its something that you really enjoy keep it. You obviously know at this point that its getting older I suggest buying a older honda civic as a beater for when you do want to work on it.

If you do have more questions about engines just corner me at one of the meets and Ill talk your ear off.