Please help! car won't start

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by BoostCreep, Sep 3, 2011.

1. BoostCreep

BoostCreep Member

Hi everyone. I recently purchased BJTysons 05 sti. About a month ago he had the engine rebuilt. I was on the interstate last night when I noticed my engine temp started to rise. On the ecutek data moniter it displayed a message telling me the engine coolant temps were too high. Before I could switch the car off, the engine shut off on its own and I coasted up the ramp. I got out and looked under the hood and there was water coming out of the radiater cap which indicated a bad gasket. So I thought no big deal ill just put some water in it. So my cousin brings me some water and he showed me how to bleed the lines. Filled it up, got in, tried to crank it. The engine would turn over and make this chrping sound and would not start. So we checked the oil and there was hardly any on the stick. So we go get oil, fill it up, same thing. Engine will turn over and act like it wants to start but it won't. Still makes the chrping noise. Fuel pump is working. When it over heated, it just did make it to the H. Also the oil light came own simultaneously. Any help or advice will be much appreciated as this is my only means for transportation. Thanks

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

car overheated, no oil in pan...sounds like it spun a bearing. who did the motor work?

3. BoostCreep

BoostCreep Member

A gentleman named Stephan on this forum. Havnt gotton on the car at all since the build. Broke it in 3000 miles

4. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

the car was a little over a quart low when i got there to check the oil which i wouldnt think would be the case because i've seen these cars go that low all the time even just between oil changes.. our first thought was also a rod bearing..kingwrex did the work but i did not replace the rod bearings in the car,only the whole top end and piston's,rings,ect..the car was initially a head gasket problem so me or stephen didnt see a real need to replace the rod bearings..the car makes a chirping sound every time it turns over and will not start,the car seems to be turning over slightly slower than usual but this is really all the info boostcreep or i know about the issue at the moment

5. kingwrex

kingwrex Supporting Member

Just spoke to u early this past week and u said the car was running good.
    On another note, did u replace the radiator and upper reservoir caps as I had recommended when u picked the car up? Also the loss of oil could have very well been from the turbo as I had informed u it had some shaft play.
    Sorry to hear about this. U have my number and can call me anytime. U know I'm willing to help u out anyway I can

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

That oil light coming on is not a good sign. It's the factory, "You've got no oil pressure" indicator. You definitely should have the car towed to a reputable shop to have them diagnose your problem. I assume the car threw a few codes before it stopped. Any idea what they are?

7. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

he said the CEL light came on but i scanned it when i got there and it had no current codes

8. bjtyson3

bjtyson3 Member

i think he's lining up someone to fix it now..possibly taking stephens advice and doing a new shortblock since he plans to keep the car and that would have the motor pretty much new then haha