04 AW Sti 175k miles and climbing...

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by RBillings, Jul 2, 2010.

1. RBillings

RBillings Member

Hello my name is Robert, I have met a few members here as I have bought some parts. Well I never bothered making one of these because my mods are few and far between. I am not going to crazy on this car, just want something fun that I can daily and autox on the weekends.

Anyway....

When I got the car I took it up to burnt mountain just to have a little fun. Bone stock...

[​IMG]

Went with a JNA performance front lip.

[​IMG]

Took some shots in the snow this past winter. Here you can see the exhaust. Apexi gt spec cbe and invidia divorced wastegate. APV1 on the car also. I didnt get 3 miles before the stock clutch started slipping at about 170k on the odo. Exedy stage 1 went in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also made an exhaust heat sheild to help protect the bumper. (scratches... bleh)

[​IMG]

Latest mod was a set of custom painted 18x8 +35 OZ superturismo with 245/40/18 Nitto NT05. Along with the wheels a set of SPT coilovers went on the car. This is the car as it sits today (7/1/10)...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Call me a ricer but I love this! Some flames on the highway...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rbillings/4753406199/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

looks good!

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Looks good man....

4. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Looks good...nice photos as well.

5. amonsta

amonsta Member

Ya it does look good!! Dont think you will catch me on miles!!! I own the highest mileage sti!! lol Good to meet you last night!! Now buy my ssrs!!

6. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Locally you do :) I am still watching the thread on IWSTI with the guy who has 198k.

Glad to see another 2004 STi still around. They're become somewhat of a rarity nowadays :cool:

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Freaking awesome man. White is a beautiful color for the Imprezas. I don't agree with the flashy blue wheels, but it's your STi. Do what you want. Hahah.

8. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Nice...the snow picture is very cool. Congrats on an obviously well maintained car.

9. wudntme

wudntme New Member

Awsome mileage on the clutch! Gives me great hope for my 04 with only 64k... HAHA

How do you like the new tires so far?

10. RBillings

RBillings Member

Thanks for all the kind words and the slight criticism. I think the wheels are a love hate thing. They actually arent as bright as that pic makes them look. They are very dark blue with a pearl coat so when I set up a flash at each wheel it really made them pop.

Clark is was good to meet you man, you have a beautiful sti! I have a pic of it from a meet a while back...

[​IMG]

As for the wheels, I made enough money this week to cover them, so I am trying not to get ahead of myself haha. I need to see if there is a market for these oz wheels at all before I end up with 3 sets of wheels at the house.

I love the NT05's so far, but this is only with spirited driving around the streets. The jump from 225 to 245 could account for as much as I have been able to tell though. Hopefully I will have some autox time on them and be able to give a real response to that soon.

11. RBillings

RBillings Member

For those of you who might be like me and coming from the Honda scene, here is my old civic just for some background. Hated to sell this car but was ready for bigger and better things. Plus the theft in the Honda community is outrageous.

tons of pics here www.flickr.com/rbillings

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. amonsta

amonsta Member

Man the winged days!! I dont know what wheels I want now so really its no rush!! lol

13. RBillings

RBillings Member

Parts to go on tomorrow. I miss the days of 120 bucks for 4 brembo blanks haha. 600 bones for some brake rotors :(

[​IMG]

14. superdoughboy4

Ah, okay. That makes more sense with the wheels. How about some pictures of it outside without flash? It'll probably look even better than it does now.

15. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

new castle :D
    [​IMG]

16. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

What strobe setup are you using on these photos?

17. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

how's it going Robert? Good to see you on here bro. Car's looking good.

18. RBillings

RBillings Member

Yeah Ill see what I can do and get some pics soon. These pics were really only seat of the pants, I didnt plan to post them anywhere.

Yeah it fit perfect on the vtec solenoid. Haven't had one in a LONG time, hmmm maybe I'll have to grab a sixxer this weekend!

Well long story short my original pair of sb600's were stolen last year at IA in nashville. I have one sb600 and one older nikon flash that I cannot even remember the model number of. SB28? I think. Fired by cactus triggers that were SUPER cheap but work great. Not a great range but fairly reliable when in range. Midwest photo exchange has GREAT package deals for flashes umbrellas and the like. The have "the strobist" kits that are recommended by thestrobist.blogspot.com. That is an awesome blog for flash info btw.

Good to hear from you man, glad to see you still have the suby. I need to get out to more meets!

19. liltoua

liltoua Member

Looking good!

20. ecreamer

ecreamer New Member

you were at varsity right? pretty sure i saw your car there, clean look man, next time get in touch with me and we'll powdercoat your rims=] last longer

21. RBillings

RBillings Member

Long time no update. Well on my way home on my birthday this wednesday, the radiator in the sti decided to give it up. Saw a hint on steam and smelled some coolant at a red light, it was cracked across the top just in front of the cap.

Being that I am at 179,xxx I decided with the radiator out it would be pretty dumb to not go ahead with the tbelt. What a beast, I am a mechanic for a living and have done plenty of legacys and other subies but I had a real time with my own. I had a hell of a time replacing the cam seals. Why are those bolts so damn tight!? Also, why did subaru decide plastic was the material of choice for the gear!? /rant.

Well she is back together with new radiator, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs, air filter, t belt, crank seal, all idlers and drive belts and ready for another 90k! The belt wasnt even worn, no signs of cracks or anything, but a little stretched.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  22. Mike@TTR

Mike@TTR Active Member

Yeah not really sure what they were thinking with those plastic cam gears:(

23. Durania

Durania Member

I absolutely love the snow pics.

24. superdoughboy4

Yeah. A white STI will always be one of the more beautiful cars ever.

25. RBillings

RBillings Member

I almost never get online or even take pics anymore but I decided I would take some of the new wheel color and freshly painted bumpers. Enjoy...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2011
  26. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Love the car and the pics man... I liked the rims blue! Very clean.. Allways loved that color...

27. techlord

techlord Active Member

very nice high mileage sti. How many miles did she run stock?

28. amonsta

amonsta Member

How many miles she got now?? You trying to catch me huh lol

29. RBillings

RBillings Member

She is parked right now with 189,527 miles. I think it was around 165k before mods. Running strong at this point, burns about 1-1 1/2 courts between oil changes, which I usually do at 5k. Only part failures since my ownership beginning at 155k were a cracked radiator, a dried up o-ring on the power steering supply to the pump which caused a whine on cold starts, a dried o-ring at the a/c compressor, and the fuel line leak which I have heard to be common. Being a tech, none of these were major issues to fix. All from age and mileage imo, nothing out of the ordinary.

30. RBillings

RBillings Member

Well I hate to say it but I am out of the suby game for now :(. I got an offer I simply couldnt refuse so I took it.

31. RBillings

RBillings Member

Oh btw, the car had 194k on when I got rid of it... still running absolutely great. I am hoping to pick up another in the future, maybe an 11' sedan :)

32. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

What kind of Nitto's were those on your ride??

33. RBillings

RBillings Member

NT05. They felt great in the turns but boy did they roar. I wouldnt recommend them honestly. I got them because a friend of mine works at the toyo/nitto factory and gave them to me for 320.

34. amonsta

amonsta Member

Guess you gave up trying to catch me huh?! Lol I'd probally sell mine too if the offer was right! Well maybe..........................

35. RBillings

RBillings Member

Yeah I honestly wasnt even trying to sell it. A guy at work came up and offered his car plus cash and it worked out so that I basically drove the car for 3 years and put 40k on it for free. Cant ask for more than that really, also even though the car was super clean I dont think it would have been easy to sell because of the miles. That car was extremely solid though. Ran GREAT and nobody EVER guessed it was a high mileage car. Most people guessed it had 50k on it.

36. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well there's a really nice white '11 in the classified on this board for sale :drool: