Experiences with Corbeau CR1 Seats?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by rsutton1223, Sep 16, 2011.

1. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I am looking to replace the seats in my WRX soon and I am filtering through the available options. As I have said before, the car is a mountain run/DD so spending a crazy amount on race seats doesn't really make any sense.

The Corbeau CR1 caught my eye from a looks/value perspective so I was going to see if any of you have sat in them or had any first hand experience with the seats.

[​IMG]

2. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

08 STI seats would look better ;)

3. rsutton1223

ha! Know where I can pick some up?! :rofl:

While I do like the look of those seats, they don't really have what I am looking for as far as fit. They don't feel all that much different than my WRX seats I would be replacing. Also, I am not one for putting STI emblems in a WRX. I already painted over the one on my lip because I don't want to be "that guy".

4. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I have sat in those seats and they are wonderful.

On a side note, do you think your 2011 seats fit in a 2004 Wagon?

5. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

They feel wonderful for about 1-1.5 years. Then the foam breaks down in them badly. All my 240 buddies that drift complain after about a year of how fast their seats 'settle' and don't feel comfty anymore.

6. rsutton1223

They should. Depends on the brackets...

7. blaster

blaster my other ride is your mom Supporting Member

8. rsutton1223

I had actually heard that the TRS's had more of a fading issue than the CR1's.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

there is a reason they are cheap, now you know why

10. rsutton1223

The ideal situation would be for Subaru to give us a Recaro option. Even with the DIY seat mod in my WRX...I am really not happy with the seats. I just wish all of the other options weren't quite as expensive...

11. b reel

b reel Active Member

I feel you there, I have some Recaro seats from an EVO. It's good to have friends in the auto salvage business. :naughty:

12. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Talk to Alex.....he may be able to do something for ya perhaps?

13. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

Even some of the Recaro options for/from Subaru are not true Recaros anymore. Corbeau has traditionally been a mixed bag with respect to quality. Fortunately, there may be a reclinable Sparco that interests you. Also, you need to remember that changing out your factory seat means you will lose the factory side airbag.

Here's what I'm going with -- Recaro Sportster CS. Disregard the tan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Looks like you can install a PC fan for seat AC....:rofl:

15. rsutton1223

If the Corbeau CR1 structure would hold up...I could always run those for awhile and then get them recovered. I do know a interior upholstery guy... ;)

16. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Recovering isn't gonna do a thing. It's the stuff under the covering that matters.

17. rsutton1223

I don't know what the differences are between the foam/construction of the CR1 vs. the TRS.

18. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Willing to bet they are all the same structure wise. Different locations yes but the quality is all subpar for something that you will DD.

19. rsutton1223

So outside of rolling the dice on the CR1, my only other option would be to watch the used market. With the baby on the way...I can't see spending 2 grand or more on seats. If I didn't dislike the stock ones so much...I wouldn't even worry about it...

20. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Well it's your decision but I wouldn't skimp on something as important as the seat.

21. rsutton1223

I'll agree that their construction will not be on the build quality of a Recaro, but we aren't talking about China knockoffs or anything. It's not so much a safety issue as whether or not they will still feel as comfortable down the road.

22. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Good luck with your choice!

I myself thought your seats are quite comfty. What do you not like about them? Wish they held you in better?

23. rsutton1223

They don't hold you in well at all. Even with the DIY mod it is still a lot of movement when you push the car. They are also already showing signs of wear on the sides. Overall, they feel really flat. Maybe I am just used to a different style seat, but the general consensus from everyone seems to be the same as well. The older version STI seats are a lot better.

24. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Gotta love Subaru and planning for fat America.

25. jchon3

jchon3 Supporting Member

I dont think STi seats would be much of an "upgrade" in bolster. Mostly just better material.
    Seats are 100% personal preference so if you have tried them and like them, all the power to you!

26. Alex

27. rsutton1223

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  28. b reel

b reel Active Member

find a car that offered Recaro seats 1999 model year or later. Then start hitting the Salvage sites. I paid $165 each for mine from an EVO X MR by the way.

29. Alex

Which are nice seats, but only the uppers belong the Recaro. The lowers may belong to the base model lancer ;)

30. rsutton1223

The ones out of an Evo X would be perfect.

31. Deke

Deke Active Member

I haven't posted on here in awhile and didn't really think this justified a new thread, but does anyone know what a replacement stock bugeye driver's seat would run? My seat is getting a little rough after 130k miles. And something recently tore a hole in the fabric of one of the side bolsters. I was actually looking at this thread for ideas of aftermarket replacements, but I really do like the stock seats and think I would rather just keep them if possible.

Edit: I know I could probably just call a dealer and ask, but I miss conversing with some of you folks :)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  32. brooks22

brooks22 Member

I sat in some Raemco SPN One Piece Formed Racing Seat at SEMA, and no not Recaro, and I have to say I was very impressed. They were also only 14lbs...should check them out they have a few different designs

33. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Mike at KillShot was selling a pair of seats pretty cheap recently. http://wrxatlanta.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32001

34. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned