Clutch Fork Stuck, tranny swap, HELP ASAP please.

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by UpSideDownDesi, Nov 24, 2011.

1. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

While doing the trans swap, I forgot to pull the pin/shaft/rod from the clutch fork to pull it up and away separate it from throw out bearing.. I was able to slide the tranny out about 2 inches and then I realized I didn't disengage the clutch fork from the throw out bearing.

Now the clutch fork is stuck on throw out bearing, and I can't push the tranny back with the engine nor can I pull it out. Clutch fork is still attached to the throwout bearing, and pulling the bearing out with it from the pressure plate. It won't won't budge, fought it with for good couple of hours.

This is what I have found from me searching around, and going to try:
    1: Stick a long screwdriver between the throwout bearing, and pressure place (right where there's a washer between them) then twist it to release the bearing so it will release and come out with the trans.

http://youtu.be/gBi5B_jVVGU

My question is since the input shaft is still inside the bearing, and there's pressure on bearing from the input shaft and clutch fork, will it still release if I stick a screwdriver between it?

2. Try to take the Clutch Fork shaft/rod out as I was suppose to before. Now the rod has good bit of pressure on it, and definitely won't just slide out. I am gonna have to thread in the 6mm bolt and try pry it out. I am scared I might break the head of the bolt and then I have a second problem.

3. I can go in from the starter hole and unbolt the flywheel and separate it from the engine. This way it can just be pulled with the trans, and then later I just put it back together.

Any of y'all subaru masters who have done this before please help me out. I would happily pay for your gas if you can come up there friday, and help me out with the trans. Car is located near Loganville.

Also, I need to borrow clutch alignment tool if someone has it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  2. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I'm confused by whats happening. The throw out bearing is in the pressure plate and attached to the shift fork like it should be. It sounds like you have it in there right, there shouldn't be too much play by hand.

Also it helps to use one of the long batter tie down hooks to thread into the rod and pull it out to release the fork.

3. UpSideDownDesi

I am trying to take the old trans off. I was suppose to pull the rod out before even starting to pull the trans, and fork was sitting straight, with no pressure to very minimum pressure from throw out bearing.

As of now throw out bearing is still attached to the pressure plate, but it is pulled out of the pressure plate because the trans is pulled 2" away from the engine with clutch fork still attached. Making it harder to pull the rod out, to release the clutch fork from throwout bearing.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

before you fuck up anything, just turn the crank pulley till you can see the 12mm bolts that hold the press plate to the fly wheel. unbolt each and rotate crank till all are removed. pull the motor away, start over... correctly this time.

5. UpSideDownDesi

Yea that was my option 3.

Will doing this allow me to pull the trans out of the car with pressure plate still attached to it and be able to simply install it back on the motor before putting the other trans on?

1st time doing the trans so everything is a learning.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  6. b reel

b reel Active Member

check PM's

7. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Why do it in PM's. Write it out here just in case this happens to someone else in the future.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

some things just aren't meant for the webz.

9. talos

talos Member

I would do Option 1. If you can get the trow out bearing off with a screwdriver, that's your easiest option.

10. UpSideDownDesi

Okay success in getting the trans out, but 2nd problem...don't think the other trans in going in correctly (more bellow). I was able to put a 6mm bolt on the clutch fork rod then put a small pry bar on it, and hammer the rod out. Trans dropped right out.

What Bryan (B reel) discussed with me was if option 2 doesn't work then use my option 3, go through starter hole and take the pressure plate bolts off in a star pattern. That would have pull the pressure plate off with the trans.

Now 2nd problem. I was able to line up the 07 sti trans and get all the bolts/studs in the bell housing to match up and started threading them in as the trans got closer the the engine block, making sure they feel smooth going in and not stripping. They are def getting tighter, but I stopped after screwing them in half way.

From what I have read, I am not suppose to mate the trans and engine by tightening the bolts rather let the trans and engine become flush then tighten them. I tilted the engine with engine hoist up a little to angle it better, but i am still no able to push the tran flush with the engine, it only get closer as i tighten the bolts.

At this point, I will pay whoever comes gets this trans in. It's already lined up, just need some expert help for final few step, and don't wanna screw up. If you are willing to come and help me put this sucker in, please let me know. Car's located near loganville, ga.

Also, should i take the bolts out of the housing and trans, while the car is sitting (there's about a inch gap between tran & block? Trans is supported up with jacks, and jack stands to maximum height.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  11. UpSideDownDesi

Well talked to B Reel (Bryan, def knows his stuff), and found out why the trans isn't going in. I forgot to take the transmission dial pins off the 07 STI trans, and now they are pushing against the dial pins on the block, since they are in the same location. Plus I need to wiggle my crank a little so input shaft can engage. So gonna give that a try tomorrow. Please let me know if you give me a hand because my help is out of town now :/.

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

Brian and dowel pin, for future reference :hsugh:

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I'll come help tomorrow evening

14. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

*facepalm* Next time just pay a professional to do it.

Just kidding....glad you got it all ironed out. Helps to have knowledgeable people helping ya out.

15. UpSideDownDesi

I'll be going at it again this evening, if anyone is free I can def use a extra set of hands.

16. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

This evenings no good for me. Probably Wednesday before I can head out that way

17. UpSideDownDesi

Wed works for me

18. Xray10six

Xray10six Member

Hows this going? I recently did the clutch on my 07 STI and ran into many of the same problems. It is no easy task swapping transmissions and clutches on these cars. One thing to keep an eye out for is when tightening the bolts down, watch the shifter arm in the tunnel. It gets very tight in there very quickly and you can sometimes pin the shifter against the tunnel. I dont know if you are doing this with a lift or not, but for your sake I hope you are...

Best of luck man!

19. UpSideDownDesi

Got 07 Trans in the car correctly with the help of Dana (Sparta). Big thanks for him for coming over and helping out. Shifter gets tricky as there isn't much room to put the screws in when it reaches up in the tunnel. I am doing all this car on jack stands. Car should be up and running by tomorrow afternoon.

20. UpSideDownDesi

Car is drivable, brought it home today. Thanks to Dana (Sparta) for coming out and helping me with the trans. Thanks to Brian (B Reel) and Andy @ Killshot for taking my calls and giving their professional insight on the problems I ran in. It made matters lot easier with your help.

Only thing the car needs now is WRX Speed Sensor and WRX trans harness so I can plug it in factory WRX harness. Will update when all finished.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2011
  21. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice man glad its all together now. Notice a difference with the ratios?

22. UpSideDownDesi

Speedo isn't working, but I can def notice 3rd and 4th. Should be able to test it out fully in couple of days.

23. UpSideDownDesi

Hey if you have a extra 5speed or busted 5spd sitting around with this wiring harness on it please let me know. I need the WRX Wiring Harness ASAP TODAY. My events tonight that is all I need to get the car road worth.

I just need to borrow it, i ordered mine and it's not here yet. I'll give you mine when it's here Monday.

This is what it looks like, the long one that goes on top of the trans.
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/annointed/Dec 2009 parts/2009Carparts132.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/annointed/Dec 2009 parts/2009Carparts136.jpg
    http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y166/annointed/Dec 2009 parts/2009Carparts137.jpg

Would be great help if someone can come through, Vendors?

Thanks