Best roads around ATL

Discussion in 'Meetups & Events' started by Brian, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Brian

Brian Active Member

How's about listing your favorite *ahem* sport driving roads close by?

My criteria (in order) are:

1) Curvy
    2) Isolated and little traffic
    3) Non-residential
    4) Run off room

I don't have anything close by that meets all 4 right now... :wtc:

2. lostinthewoods

lostinthewoods Frisco Tx Baller

1) Highway 9 north from Cumming to Dahlonega
    2) McConnell Rd => Aaron Sosebee Rd (somewhat isolated)

3) 400N ==> jk. non-residential roads , so commerical are ok?
    4) define run off room? shoulder? Ditch? front yard?

3. Trey

Trey Active Member

Suches Pass in N. GA :D

4. Brian

Brian Active Member

It would be nice if a local single road met all 4 tests. The mountains meet 1,2,3. Some local roads meet 1,2.

And some roads are just so damn curvy I have fun anyways.

The track meets all 4. 8)

5. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

there is a road in cherokee county, it doesn't have much elevation change, but it has a LONG ASS banking turn that is fun an ANY car (well just about). something cherokee highway, it meets all 4 in some spots.
    there is east cherokee lane inbetween hwy 92 and Jamerson rd, it's NUTS, I'll take one or 2 people there, it's a road that is so curvy you don't need to go all that fast. it is residential, but no child traffic. Lots of right angle turns, and a little water on the road and wowie.

I have a series of roads I take late at night when I need to get my mind on other things/cool off, and they are all 5 minutes from me.

Up in Chattanooga(well actually Lookout Mt. GA) I know a ton of good roads.

6. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Defoor is always fun when driving back and forth from Tech to my friend's apartment.

7. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

there some in woodstock. not sure the names of the roads maybe genya will chime in. but they meet the first 3. no space for error though so 4 is out. but the elevation is awesome. many 0g hill tops on these roads. and the turn are awesome!

8. monk

monk <b>The Kitchen Ninja!!!!</b>

buford dam road very early in the morning is great, but most parts (especially the part that goes over the dam) are zero margin of error. excellent hairpins though.

9. Alex

Alex Community Founder Staff Member

I like the drive from Roswell RD to Paces Ferry on Mt Paran. Twisty, usually low traffic, etc. Its a nice break from sitting in traffic all day.

10. Trey

Trey Active Member

Suchs Pass in the GA mtns is the best road in GA. Take a left right after you pass Vogel State Park and it's 5 miles of hairpins and switchbacks with hardly any traffic.

/ thread. ;)

11. Brian

Brian Active Member

As long as we're not listing local roads... my favorite stretch is Road Atlanta. Lots of elevation changes, curvy, not congested and NO COPS! ;)

To bad we don't have a "Nurburgring" near us. $10 as fast as you want to go for 10? miles.

12. Trey

Trey Active Member

13. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

thats $16.8 for 13.5 miles ;) :D :p

14. Alex

Nurburgring is 17 euros last time I checked.

15. WRX-WRC

WRX-WRC Active Member

no alex 14 euros which is almost 17 US

16. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Lake Forest Drive is a really fun road. It's really hilly and fun.

I also like Dunwoody Club. It's a really short stretch of road with little to no on it.

17. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

:hsnono: bad bad man lol just kidding
    I to love that road!

18. Eric-RPS13-

Eric-RPS13- Member

more like 14 euros, so about $17.34 (edit: damn just saw you guys already chimed in with miles and price)
    we don't have the proper topography for that kind of track, and no towns are willing to be encompassed by a large track. I do share your dream of having that kind of road available to the public though. To many lawsuit hungry douche nozzles in our country too, some bastard kid would drive on it, kill himself then mommy and daddy would sue. If it's "public" then any legal driver can be on it.

It would be easier to build a pirate ship, hi-jack a container ship, ship our cars to europe, and then just drive the rest of the way, rather then try and build that here, even if you did have the funds and pull to muster that kind of project.

19. MarkM2016GTI

MarkM2016GTI Supporting Member

When I was stationed in Germany the autobahn was always a blast!!. I didn't have a car when I was there from 1980-1982, but I rode with friends and they have unbelievable roads in the Trier/Heidelberg area.

Mark

20. slpymnky

slpymnky Member

Are there any good dirt/gravel roads around Dunwoody/Sandy Springs?

21. Trey

Trey Active Member

WRONG!!! :rofl:

[​IMG]

There were three of them there this weekend. :eek3: :cool:

22. miloman

miloman Retired Admin

:eek:hnoes: :eek:hnoes:

23. ShaneSTI

ShaneSTI Active Member

nice roads here in guam?hmm let me see. nope. roads are made of the coral reef=deadly slippery in rain. pot holes the size of a bucket plus this is by far the worst place i've lived as far as drivers go. and this is why i didn't bring my STi here...along with other stuff.

24. SILBER A4

SILBER A4 New Member

Paper Mill road
    Riverside drive
    --traffic can be a problem. Not bad depending on day and time.

25. cb7stim3

cb7stim3 Member

okay so there is two roads that i absolutely love

there is a road right behind my home

it is hilly, curvy, nhoods of to the side, but not on the road

and they just resurfaced it

PM or email me if you want this road name and directions, sunday morning is amazing my dad hit 90mph at the dead botom before the incline there in my uncles sti and well over 100 on the straight leading to the road, im to pussy to drive like that, and i dont have the skill too

and

PM me for directions again VERY VERY high speed, isolated, so to speak, low cops, places wher cops are you have time to slow, hilly, high speed curves, i used to go about 80mph there in my accord, with my mother every saturady on the way to the dc, but a friend hit 120 there in his 300zx tt with plenty of room to go faster

26. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

the road that has two of my neighborhood entrances is a fun forad. it's fairly short, maybe 1.5 miles in all. It's called Pucket(t?)s Mill Road. It is between Hamilton Mill Road and Camp Branch Road. It dosn't have much space for error, there is even a brick mailbox on one corner known for being ht a lot and being destroyed. There is traffic during the day a little bit, so I only cut corners at night where if there is on coming traffic I'll see them from further away. It's lightly residented. I'm pretty sure cops don't go there at night, beacuse every night past 10 pm I'll be driving like a maniac on it.

I have even spun out once and almost hit a pole back when I had a civic. =O

I'm the fastest on Puckets Mill !!

27. trueblue

trueblue New Member

Towne Lake Parkway up to 20, 20 west to 108, 108 up to Waleska.....curves, some good straights, mountain views, lakeside views - awesome!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2006
  28. crash#2

crash#2 Member

best road on the east coast is just off hwy321\421 leaving tenn. into bumf#ck NC. no cops ever. not residential. better in the day, watch out for early model supras etc. at night (hence crash#2). but great in the day no traffic, tight mountain road 4 miles long with no margin for error (except chicken wire) then on to peak mtn. road for a wider cuvier lower speed dirt road extravaganza uphill. ( and then the only house on the mountain ( my families).

29. I can tell you what is the WORST road near Atlanta...

Its right outside Taco MAc @ Ellard Village.

Its called "Barnwell" Christ it would be an amazing road if they paved the damn thing and filled the holes.

Very Curvy and not alot of cops due to the idea no will speed on such a crappy road. Sadly its like an entrance a lot of neighboorhoods.

30. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

and lots of county and city pd

31. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I like spalding rd in roswell NOT the side the bowling alley is on. twisty and curvy,hilly best time is around 9:30 ish pm to late night it is residential high price cribs and no side walks so if you go off you will hit a mail box ive gotten up to 78 and higher but it's my "getaway" road hit holcolmb bridge u trun and doit again...lots of traffick during rush hour though

32. flip

flip Member

Yeah i'll second that. Theres some really good ones behind roswell rd. in between sandy springs and buckhead. Theres a road that runs paralel to roswell road called lake some thing that has a ton of roads that come off of it that are really fun. It IS residential but EVERYONE flys through there so... :)

33. jt money

jt money 350hp mmm mmm Good! Supporting Member

34. Alex

W Paces Ferry turns into a damn tarmac rally road with near 90 hair pins, rolling up and down almost 1 lane hills...its insane. Check it out sometime, keep going past Ok Cafe, under 75 and then across one more small bridge. Ive spent a lot of time driving around in there looking at great roads. If you just stay on WPF, it turns into pure awesome.

35. knhtrdr

knhtrdr Active Member

I totally forgotten about that road. gotta do that again.

36. jomotopia

jomotopia Member

sorry to bump an old thread but after doing this back home over Christmas:

[​IMG]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1629196031286644488

i also really want to know if/where there's some dirt roads around Atlanta. i'm not really interested in gravel roads b/c i've got enough paint chips already, but packed dirt roads are awesome!

37. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

I only know one gravel road near my house. It's called Lena Carter I think. It has a lot of turns compared to the other dirt trails around here (which are mostly straight). it has 7 bends in it i believe with a short straight and two really hard turns. Lots of fun but dangerous because the sides of the road are gutted you could say. Like a ditch and after that it's a 2 foot dirt wall on each side.

38. Brian

Brian Active Member

There are dirt roads all over, but most of the best ones are further away. Close dirt roads are south near Peachtree City, I-20 west to Thornton Rd then south, and all over N Georgia. Big dirt fields are just as fun too.

39. Oh ya, they finally re-paved Barnwell near my house. Used to be a shitty road, but its twisty and fun at 9 in the morning on Saturdays...be careful though

40. Western

Western Supporting Member

I would say sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but this thread should be stickied. So...I'm not. I second West Paces Ferry. I used to live around the Moores Mill Area, so I was on it all the time. Defoors Ferry as well, except for the sheer condition of the road. Anyone know any in the Alpharetta/John's Creek/Suwanee area?