GT FSAE 2012 #67 in the making.

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by G-WRX, Nov 6, 2011.

1. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

This is what we have so far of Our Formula SAE car #67.

I figured you guys would get a kick out of this.

[​IMG]
    1106011759 by G-WRX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    1106011812 by G-WRX, on Flickr

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Whats the engine setup?

Where can we take a look at the rules?

3. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

The engine setup is a Yamaha YZF 450 engine with which we are currently in the process of making the ECU and maps for it. We haven't had the chance to put it on a DYNO yet, but this car is scheduled to be completed by the 23rd of December. The car should be sitting on the ground by the end of next week. All parts are made by us in house with the exception of the engine wheels and tires.

4. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Why/how are you making an ecu? I'm going to guess it makes 56hp.

5. Jake

Jake Active Member

The Georgia Southern FSAE team drives one of their old chassis around at football games trying to drum up $$ for the current years team. I'm assuming there is around a 500-600cc limit, cuz i'm pretty sure that's about the size that is on theirs

6. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Yeah i do believe that 600cc's is the limit,however on the courses that we run, it's not really necessary hence the reason we are running a 450. I wouldn't doubt they would need some money, these cars are like 50-60k dollars to build(because it's a prototype)

7. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Here is what the final product will look like for F2012 competition in Michigan.

[​IMG]
    F2012 by G-WRX, on Flickr

8. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

The Car is also now on the ground, suspension complete. The powertrain is complete also, just not in these pics, gonna post a video of it running as soon as i figure out how.

[​IMG]
    671 by G-WRX, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    67 by G-WRX, on Flickr

And as for the wheels, they are going to be sent off to be powdercoated Black.

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

nice push-rod suspension

10. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

That thing looks like fun!! I want one!

11. techlord

techlord Active Member

You GT boys bring a few of these up to Lockheed every year.
    NICE!

12. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

As for the pushrod suspension set-up that we deisgned. It's going to give us the ability to change the entire coilover set-up so we don't have the change the settings mid comp in between events. two bolts per damper and done.

13. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

What do you have to do to work on something like this at tech? What program, etc.

14. Jake

Jake Active Member

its almost impossible to get into the program here at Southern, so I can't imagine its any easier at a school with a relatively low acceptance and retention rate.

15. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

Yes I would like to know as well.

16. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Actually, All you have to do is pay your semester dues and work on the car to be on the team... You don't even have to be a student at GaTech, Just a student in college. We have someone from GSU on the team.

But don't get me wrong, It's Georgia Tech Motorsports team that does this. You don't just go to Georgia Tech and build yourself a racecar. LOL. alot of time and money goes into designing and developing these cars.

17. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

what wheels are those?

18. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

The wheels are custom made by BBS wheel company. There were only 8 of them made (all in our possesion). The molds were thrown away when they closed the plant that produced them.

19. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

omg why

20. G-WRX

G-WRX Member

Placed 22nd out of 120 teams in FSAE Michigan 2012. Here are a few pictures of the finished product. F2013 has begun and we are now designing a new car.

[​IMG]
    2012 by G-WRX, on Flickr

21. Jake

Jake Active Member

where did Georgia Southern's team finish? walked past their garage everyday

22. bigbcraig

bigbcraig New Member

Georgia Southern got 54th. They were looking pretty good but unfortunately picked up someone elses' debris in their tire (don't remember what anymore) and were not able to finish endurance :/