F1 in America...NOPE.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Matt, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

http://www.autoweek.com/article/20111116/FREE/111119900

well that officially fucking sucks. It's not dead yet, but hopefully it will work out.

2. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I don't give a crap about F1 but it does suck for MotoGP and V8 Supercars if the track doesn't get done.

3. b reel

b reel Active Member

Who remembers that Indy race in Savannah?

4. Jake

Jake Active Member

it was indy lights, and i remember it. i was there

this blows, Austin is a possibility after graduation and that was a HUGE part of it. i'd love to be there for both F1 and MotoGP. like you said tho, its not dead yet. but unless someone voluntarily donates $25million to pay off the F1 guys, its not gonna happen

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Where's a billionaire car guy when you need one.

The government should do it to help boost the economy

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

the state is significantly funding the building. its not the construction there is an issue with. my understanding is the F1 board, specifically its president needs an up front payment of $25million before they set foot on a new track

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Ah I didn't bother to read the link

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

well at least we have New Jersey....barf

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204777904576653552767815670.html?KEYWORDS=circuit+of+the+americas

EDIT: more detail, apparently the Circuit of the Americas people jumped into the game late and wanted a contract, screwing up things with Tavo Hellmund's previously agreed upon contract causing it to be canceled. And F1, had agreed to work with the COTA group if they could come up with the guarantee of the $25million, but they haven't....

http://www1.skysports.com/formula-1/news/12433/7312026/Bernie-ready-to-axe-USGP

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  9. Cool_____

Cool_____ Banned

Someone get Jay Leno involved. He has the money or at least enough pull to collect the money. (Leno was just the first celebrity car guy I thought of first....lol)

10. b reel

b reel Active Member

Hey the 500 Abarth is coming stateside, that should pacify you F1 lovin' euro weenies... right?

11. xcritic

xcritic Member

Pretty disappointing, I went to montreal for the race last year, and its something you have to see in person. The sound alone is worth the trip.

12. Doug@DBW Motorsports

Doug@DBW Motorsports Active Member

And its back on schedule... just got the email.

For all Formula 1 fans and those who have supported the F1 Watch Parties be assured there will be a race in Austin in 2012.

The official word as of this morning:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    December 7, 2011

Formula 1™ and Circuit of The Americas™ Ready to Roll

10-Year Race Contract

Brings F1™ Back to the U.S. in 2012; Construction to Resume

Immediately

AUSTIN, Texas – December 7, 2011 – Circuit of The Americas announced today they have

reached an agreement with Formula One Management that ensures the Formula 1 United

States Grand Prix remains on the FIA Formula 1 World Championship race calendar.

Red McCombs, chairman of McCombs Enterprises and founding partner of Circuit of The

Americas stated, “Mr. Ecclestone received his check today. We want to thank the fans

supporting us, the local officials and businesses that have encouraged us, the State of Texas,

Circuit of The Americas’ staff and Bernie himself. I want to thank and commend Bobby Epstein

for getting us across the finish line. Bobby’s perseverance and leadership kept the project on

track despite unfair and unfounded criticism.”

“Our investors have believed all along that this project has tremendous benefit for our region,

and provides a strong economic engine for the future,” stated Epstein, founding partner of

Circuit of The Americas. We remain committed to reaching our goal of being valuable

community partners as we establish a platform for sports and entertainment. We’re glad that

Tavo’s vision of bringing F1 to the people of Texas will become a reality.”

Engineering and construction teams working on the track will resume immediately, ensuring

completion for the 2012 race date.

“We have a substantial number of fans who have expressed interest in buying tickets and

hospitality, so today is a win for all of them as much as it is for Circuit of The Americas,” said

Steve Sexton, president of Circuit of The Americas. “We encourage everyone to visit our

website and register for information. Registered fans will receive the first communication

regarding ticket sales plans. In a matter of weeks we will have more exciting news as we unveil

our full calendar of world class events.”

Fans interested in receiving information about tickets for next year’s Formula 1 United States

Grand Prix can register their contact information at

www.circuitoftheamericas.com. Ticket sales

information will be communicated to those registered prior to general public notification.

About Circuit of The Americas

Circuit of The Americas will be a world-class destination for performance, education and

business. It will be the first purpose-built Formula 1 Grand Prix facility in the United States

designed for any and all classes of racing, from motor power to human power.

The master plan for Circuit of The Americas features a variety of permanent structures designed

for business, education, entertainment and race use. Its signature element will be a 3.4-mile

(5.5-km) circuit track. Other support buildings will include a medical facility, 14 executive

meeting suites, a conference center, and a banquet hall, as well as an expansive outdoor live

music space. Future proposed amenities include a driving/riding experience, a motorsports

driving club, kart track, grand plaza event center and tower, and a trackside recreational vehicle

park.

For more information and downloadable video, audio and photos, visit:

www.CircuitofTheAmericas.com.

Media Inquiries:

Jeff Hahn

Representing Circuit of The Americas

Office: 512-344-2017

jhahn@hahntexas.com

Ali Putnam

Circuit of The Americas

Office: 512-301-6600

ali.putnam@circuitoftheamericas.c
    om

13. GTscoob

GTscoob Black is Beautiful

Montreal is probably way more fun than Austin for hosting an F1 race. I went for several years in college and am going to road trip up there this spring for the '12 race.

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

10 year contract huh?

Does that really mean a USGP til 2022 in Austin?

15. mattprzy

mattprzy Active Member

Isn't there also a possible race in the streets of New York / New Jersey ?

16. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Jersey, yes....but who WANTS to go to Jersey?

17. longfury

longfury Active Member

There will be 2 US based races in 2013. The one in Austin and the one in Jersey.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

Austin starts next year tho. Jersey 2013.

MotoGP also starts in Austin in 2013 for 10yrs and Austin will also have Australian Supercars and other races as well.

pretty excited. ready for tickets to go on sale

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

Right. USGP in Austin will be in 2012 for the first time.

I am actually a little surprised they were able to get 2 US based races.

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

yeah not quite sure about the Jersey logic

here's the full race calender next year:
    http://www.formula1.com/races/calendar_preview.html

21. blindfold

blindfold Active Member

that piece of junk really does shame to the scorpion logo and the Ferrari red color isn't massively appealing either, it has massive torque steer and does not want to turn at all, and when it does turn the suspension sort of skips along the road surface similar to how a piece of accelerated rock would skip over water

22. b reel

b reel Active Member

It's a fiat, would you expect anything less?

23. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

Glad F1 is back on in Austin. There was an article I read recently though that theorized F1 won't last long in the states due to lack of American drivers/teams. Almost like Indy which had record breaking attendance it's first year there and then slowly dwindled every year after that. Hopefully Cypher Group can pick up the pieces that USF1 left and keep the idea of a US based team alive.

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

there was two US based F1 teams at one point building cars. can't remember the other one besides USF1. but i agree, getting US team support would greatly help. and stealing advertising $$$$$$$$$$ from NASCAR would be even better.

25. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

Not to mention stealing there drivers as well. Montoya would go, as well as Scott Speed. I think lol.

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

One's a hack and the other a space cadet, there are a few youngsters coming up through the ranks that will be a far better choice. Stealing drivers from ASSCAR? Are you fucking kidding me? half can't even turn left

27. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Speed is a waste of oxygen. I'm not looking to cheer for a driver from the U.S. I'm looking to cheer for a driver that can win.

28. b reel

b reel Active Member

Newey/Vettle fan are you?

29. GA Scooby

GA Scooby Member

I was saying that they would go just because they were there before. The reality of it is if US based teams do come about we will see a few NASCAR drivers switch to race in F1 at least in the beginning. I agree there are much better choices to represent a US F1 race team.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

I don't think there is a single ASSCAR driver with the mental capacity to race in F1. Even the drivers would tell you that but I do think Chad Knaus would make a great technical director though.

31. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Glory Hunter!

32. Jake

Jake Active Member

lol, a NASCAR fan would argue to the death that its more difficult to drive a stock car than an F1 car, something to do with equal playing field/chassis/more passing, but if NASCAR is going to continue to allow opposing teams to communicate with each other and do the stupid draft/pass bullshit that half the races had this year, then they can expect to continue seeing a decline in fans both at the track and on tv. didn't think they could make it any more boring, but leave it to NASCAR to do it.