So the story Continues

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by justinxecushyn, Aug 5, 2010.

1. Finding out right now.

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If its that old I doubt its the far forgings

3. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

this is why I am trying to sell my car with everything but the engine

4. Taking queues from everyone's suggestions(Matt, Wes, Brandon, Ryan), going in another direction...again.

5. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

You need to step back a minute and really think about what you are doing instead of throwing money/time into the wind.

You have to ask yourself, do plan on DD the car? If so, how much power do you think will be safe to DD in your area. Can the rest of the car support your HP goals? Honestly, anything north 450whp is a waste on the street. Plus not to mention your reliability goes south quickly. Do you want to drive your car or let it sit being fixed all the time?

6. Exactly my reasoning in going this route. Tired of pissing away loot. It will be my DD for a bit. Defiantly less than 450 whp

7. Jake

Jake Active Member

what is the most power you've had? i think you'd be surprised how happy you are with a 300-350hp DD. plus as far as reliability goes, that will be better

8. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

This. When Ryan got the break in tune done on his car (400hp) I asked him when he was going to shoot for 500 and he told me that 400 is more than enough for the street.

Having ridden in a few cars that put down ~350 on the street, it's about what I would want in a DD.

9. 350 on one of the previous builds. Then followed by 330 on another build. For this build as close to reliably 400 as i can get is what i'm aiming for.

10. I agree. 350/400 hp is more than enough power for the street. Reliability is the key here. I don't want to have to post any more builds for awhile. It's been 11+ months now.

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

haha, i can think of one member whose car was 350/370 and another whose was 370/370, both just simple hybrid builds with 18g and 20g respectively. for DD and price, i'd think something along those lines makes sense. i know its been said to not be the most reliable build, but i know two that have well over 100k on those setups.

12. My luck, scared to push my luck on hybrid. Current will be built heads and built block 2.5. Next thing to be changed will be my tranny and sr55. Depending on how the wallet feels may or may not have it done before it leaves Allpro.

13. Jon had a good point, how can I change the title of the thread to So the story continues.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

fixed.

15. Sweeeet.

16. So new updates...

Took a step back and decided to really think about things this time.

Going with Ball shortblock (got hung up at work, be up there tomorrow to bring the deposit Ryan)
    Sti Heads, re using whatever i can from my current heads which probably are going to be the 280 cams and just the springs.
    Same Turbo APS SR55
    Brembo Front Brakes
    If my wallet isn't too empty, maybe 6mt inplace of my 5mt.
    Head hurts from even just typing this lol.

17. slowwrx

Andrew was machining the block for your engine today. Ill most likely start assembly tomorrow evening and finish it up on Thursday.

18. Awesome, I can't wait for this whole thing to be over and i can drive again.

Shoot me some progress pics if you can lol. I like this sort of thing.

19. Figment

Figment Member

What happened to the motor that Breel built? Did it blow up in tuning? Did it ever even run?

20. "Decided to go a different route" Prior to tuning.

21. Figment

Figment Member

i understand.

22. Picked up the STi heads today. I believe the block is near complete. Need to decide on valves and springs.

23. slowwrx

I have Ferrea Valves in Stock and GSC Springs in route. Ill get you pricing tonight.

24. Jake

Jake Active Member

decision made, lol. if it were me, i'd listen to the engine builder.

25. Hopefully offloading my longblock so that i can have a little extra wiggle room for parts. But I agree, if a engine builder says do this, then i must listen.

26. Did a little journal clean up this morning. Updated first post with current setup.

27. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

I just read through you're entire journal. It seems that you hop from one builder to another, is this the case and if so, why?

Dang it, my bottom end was built utilizing JE pistons (100mm) and you have me thinking...

28. No not really. 2 Builders so far. Allpro in conjuction with Ball Racing, and B reel were the only two.

29. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

good thing tax returns are right around the corner. Looks like a really good setup. gl with it.

30. LOL, yep, wish I was getting tax return. This is straight pocket breaking returns.

I can only imagine what it's going to be like. I can't wait for the first drive, I just hope my trans can hold up until i can save and get a very badly needed 6speed.

31. New additions.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  32. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

you missed a spot :|

33. LOL that's the well rustic look.

34. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

those place mats really ties the whole table together

35. Straight guy with a queer eye.

36. Car may be done next week :).

37. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Dont jinx it...

38. :eek:hnoes: very true

39. Tuning time in the AM.

40. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Any updates?

41. slowwrx

Clutch problems from what I heard.

42. Yep clutch pressure plate teeth were bad. I picked up the pressure plate and dropped off a new one.

43. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Too much POWA!

44. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Who's doing the tuning for ya?
    What pistons are those?

45. BRED Custom 2618 pistons. And Doug is doing the tuning.

46. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

...and then?

47. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

48. No NOOO BOOM.