Traxxas Slash VXL

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by integroid, Feb 10, 2012.

1. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Jesus Christ, I purchased a Traxxas Slash VXL for my son's 6th birthday. Let me give you some background on my RC Car/Truck experience. When I was 12, I worked at All South Hoobies building RC Cars for customers. I went on to race them until I was about 14-15. I went to regionals a few times in the modified 4wd buggy class. It was fun and I remember the car being pretty fast. I dabbled back in RC Cars here and there throughout my life. My last car being about 12 years ago. It was a HPI RS4 Pro 4wd road car. I had to build every piece of the car like I have always done. I believe Traxxas was just onto the market as the Ready to Roll brand. Fast Forward to today. On the box of the Slash VXL, it states the car will go 60MPH.....Yeah yeah...nice selling gimmick. Take the car out of the box and it is nicely constructed and everything seemed to be put together great. Charge the battery, get the remote loaded up, go through the initial testing to make sure it steers ok. Take it out on the street and gun it. That was absolutely the fastest RC car I have ever driven. No way in hell my son will be able to drive it. I am actually a little scared to have them out there while driving it. It really is that fast. It is actually hard to control on the street. Not so bad in the dirt but this truck is just stupid fast. How in the can you race this? I would just think it would spin with all the power it has. I guess this new brushless motor technology is no joke. Wait till I get some LiPo batteries!

Anyone else have SC Trucks? Anyone know where we can race it?

2. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

There's a spot in Marietta my friend told me about. I haven't been there but its off of hwy 41/Cobb parkway between Walker school and Canton road. Supposedly this place has tracks specifically for RC cars. Maybe you can Google it and check it out

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  3. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.7; en-us; ADR6400L Build/FRG83D; CyanogenMod-7.2.0) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Brushless and lipo is an insane combo total trip from the old nicad days. I had a old tamiya tao3 touring car, but my favorite was, and still is my old tamiya clodbuster which i still have in running order for the past 20 years.

4. b reel

b reel Active Member

we run the BMX track in PTC all the time but I won't admit to owning one.

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Just got back into the scene with a new Associated B4.1. Brushless with lipo. Stupid fast. Awesome track in McDonough now.
    Go buy your kid a radio shack truck.

6. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I had a t-maxx back in the day. nitro just wasn't worth it to me after a while - total pain in the ass

7. pressley311

pressley311 Member

Iv gone through my share of nitro cars when i was younger then went to all electric and bought the 1/16th e-revo vxl with the two nimh batteries i clocked it at 48 then i bought a 11.1v 3s lipo and was even faster standing back flips all day long, now i have a rustler with the castle sv2 5700 kv with a 7.4 2s lipo its fast then going to 11.v and be stupid fast. look at the new XO-1 from traxxas 100mph RTR.... The Rustler XL-5 would be a good one for your son goes about 20 out of the box and has a training mode in the esc for less power then that.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

PM longfury. he's into this...

dit: nvm, I see him in the thread :p

9. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is time for a short novel from me about modern RC. At the end of this post I will post a link to my youtube channel where I have quite a few RC race videos.

First, if you look at the manual for the Slash, there is a training mode you can put the ESC into that will cut the power in half.

Can you race something that fast, simply put you can't. In off-road you can't put that much power down. Even in the on-road classes they are dialing the cars back. We are way beyond usable power in the brushless and lipo era.

I race off-road at several tracks in the area. I am even sponsored by a local hobby shop(TurtleTrax Raceway and Hobby in Rome). I race the 2wd buggy class and the 2wd short course truck or SCT as it is called(that was started by the Slash). There are tracks in Rossville, Dalton, Rome, Loganville, Haralson, and Mcdonough. I have raced at them all over the years.

I can answer just about any question you have about racing off-road RC cars if it is electric. I would suggest you drop by one of the tracks on a race day and have a look at how things have changed. I would suggest Loganville this weekend but it is supposed to rain. There is also a large event up in Rossville the following Saturday(2-25) weather permitting. That will be a mix of electric and nitro cars. I will be at that event if the weather holds.

I am Rfury over on the RCtech.net forums. If any of you have been to a race at the local off-road tracks, you probably have seen me in the bright red Kyosho shirts I wear.

There are also a couple of indoor on-road tracks as well. The one I would suggest is Nexus Racing. They are down near Dobbins AFB.

I guess that is enough. You can hit me up in PM here or on RCtech if you have any question. I usually hang out in the Georgia section.

www.youtube.com/longfury

www.rctech.net

http://www.rctech.net/forum/georgia-racing/581420-georgia-r-c-master-track-list.html

A quick selection of videos for you...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEFkK-zOcik&list=UUfjem55aKsVqlurtGyilpMQ&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7sv...xt=C36ca1fcUDOEgsToPDskKAqGCtJlaQUXlDqul7tzFK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuOt...xt=C35e3de8UDOEgsToPDskJ8fWIt36KC2FUWVqPDG5qa

10. longfury

longfury Active Member

Novel posted. :wiggle:

11. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

That actually looks really fun.

12. longfury

longfury Active Member

It is fun but, it is not the cheapest hobby. It is cheaper than full sized cars but not by much. ;)

13. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

So is there just a class for noob brushless motors? Maybe I should just give it to my son and let him drive it. I dont know if I want to go down this road again.

14. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Most tracks have a kids Slash class.

15. longfury

longfury Active Member

They tend to call it Sportsman because people get offended if you call them Novices.

Every track has that class and it is a run what you brung type of deal.

All of the tracks I mentioned have a Sportsman class.