Is it time to build?

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by G-Man04sti, Feb 16, 2012.

1. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

I pulled the banjo bolt out after two cell codes and i found Metal Particles inside the filter. What do you think? is it time for new internals? :rofl:

2. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yep most likely, What codes did you get. If its the ones I think they are King calls them the death codes.

3. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

0022 and 0011 i think. Timing over advanced

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

Yep those are the ones. Brace yourself that engine could die at any time.

Let me know if I can help you with a engine.

Matt
    Ball Racing

5. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

I've got forged pistons for sale

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

won't do him any good if there is scoring on the cylinder walls, silly

7. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

What size? If 99.5mm then BAD BAD BAD idea on a used block.

8. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

had this same issue a year ago and i freaked. i didnt pull the banjo bolts but i did
    do a emergency oil change and it went away. its been strong every since

9. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

I pulled the turbo and noticed some shaft play. Also some excess oil inside. I will put the turbo back and see what happens.

10. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

Well... got the turbo installed and a new code came up. P0172 to rich bank 1. I cleaned the maf and o2 sensor on the headers. Also i did an stp fuel system clean up. The car got better but when on higher gears (3dr, 4th, and 5th) after 3700 to 4000 rpms starts misfiring and the black smoke starts coming out. I haven’t checked the spark plugs neither the fuel filter. What’s up with this code??. Any other ideas??

11. ballistic

ballistic Member

Did you check your oil pan for bearing material?

12. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

No I didn't. Just flushed the oil twice...

13. G-Man04sti

G-Man04sti Member

Will this code (p0172) cut some of the fuel supply??? because it drives and builds boost better with the cel on... WTF?

14. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

Doesn't that code throw the ECU into "safe mode?" That could have an affect on the car's driveability, I suppose. Maybe one of the gurus on here could answer that one.

If it were my car and I couldn't hear obvious rod knock, I'd go ahead and do a compression test on it before I messed around with anything else. Better yet, have a leak down test done if the results from the compression test don't point to an obvious problem.

No point throwing more parts or time at it until you've ruled out the most consequential possibility.