I drove a new Evo today...ut oh

Discussion in 'General Community' started by 05WRXSTI, Feb 6, 2012.

1. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

I may jump ship.......I love the Recaros and I hate the new wheels on the STI 4 door. Am I crazy? Plus they are going to take a trade on a Jeep I have. What do you think?

2. nik_05STi

nik_05STi Member

If you get an Evo, make sure its got a 4g63. End of discussion

3. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

if you want the evo because of seats/wheels then lulz.

4. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

The 4B11T is an awesome engine. We are currently working on a new engine program just for the evo guys.

4g63 is a beast but the 4B11T is a great platform.

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

It's a car. If you like it...go for it.

6. Jake

Jake Active Member

they aren't making the EVO anymore are they? so im assuming this is a 2011?

7. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

It's a new 2012

8. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

As in built last year, which was the end of the line for all of Mitsubishi's current lineup.

9. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

My car is an 2012 and I don't care when it was built. It has 17 miles on it now. If Evo's are extinct I'd love to have one of the last made.

10. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Evo reliability engine wise > Subaru....both the 4g63 and the 4b11

11. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

Loving the Evo.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

So you got the Evo?

13. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, they're still making it. After they announced it's demise, the fan base revolted (much like SOPA/PIPA, but on a smaller scale) and Mitsubishi renounced their plans to discontinue the EVO.

14. longfury

longfury Active Member

*put on flame suit*

I think the days of the high horse, AWD, 4 cylinder econobox are done and Subaru and Mitsubishi should can the STI and the Evo and just let people complain. The economics of the cars and the environmental regulations are going to kill them anyway. Might as well do it at their height of popularity rather when they are unpopular.

I love my STI but I won't be getting anther one like it or another car in the same class. My fun cars are going to be RWD sports cars and then have a dedicated DD that is practical and good fuel economy. It is likely I have bought my last Subaru, new or used.

15. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I right there with you....hence why I'm getting a S2000.

16. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Rumors are that it will be some hybrid electric car as Mitsubishi's business plan is completely rolling in that direction.

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

:weaksauce

18. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

:clap: but I think it depends on miles you have to drive as well

19. longfury

longfury Active Member

I have to drive a shit ton of miles.

20. Jake

Jake Active Member

this would make sense, since they are making the Lancers in Normal, Illinois with the new electric car they're making

21. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I disagree, I think with increased regulations being placed on these cars we are more and more likely to see the smaller displacement turbo cars see a revival. Hopefully we will start seeing some of the 1.6 liter world motors with direct injection, you can run them super lean and they still make great power.

22. longfury

longfury Active Member

I think the Evo and the STi as we know them and anywhere near 300hp are done though. I can see where you are going though.

23. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

How you figure that? RWD, Convertible, handles like crazy, fun, 25-30 mpg, and it'll freaking last forever and be dependable...its a Honda.

24. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I don't think the 300hp 4 cylinder days are over. Look at the new genesis coupe. 274hp 274 fl lbs from the factory. It's just a shift in companies that are going to corner the market.

25. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Double check those numbers. According to the Hyundai.com site it's 210hp for the 2.0L Turbo i4 and 306hp for the 3.8L V6.

26. Matto357

Matto357 Crazyazn likes Naps Staff Member

2013 model is getting a nice hp bump. I think it's around 270 now

27. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Well that's cool.

28. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Had a family member with one. My personal experience, no room what so ever. I'm pretty sure you will find this out your self and regret buying it if it's going to be your DD.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  29. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

Yes I bought itlast week. I really like the looks and the performance.

30. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I'm 5'10" and 180 lbs.....plenty of room. Keeping the Xterra so nope there will be no regrets.

31. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Pics or it didn't happen.

I actually loved the EVO. Hated the 6 cubic feet of trunk space which why I ultimately passed on it but I always wanted a wicked white/black wheels setup on that car.

32. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

33. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Oh dang....Hyundai is doing it right!

34. Jake

Jake Active Member

35. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Ya, it's going to rape the BRZ and give the WRX, STI and Evo a run for it's money.

36. Jake

Jake Active Member

i meant sales wise, 2dr RWD sports coupes

37. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Pics of the Evo?

38. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

2012 Wicked White GSR Evo. Love it...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  39. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

My favorite color on that car...looks like a stormtrooper from the front.

40. Electioneer

Electioneer Member

I like how they cleaned up the Evo X and made it a little less fast and furiousish. I also love the recaros in them!

41. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

Yea I struggled with the STI seats and I couldn't get the BBS wheels on the 4 door regular model. The came ring land issues , the ordering a car ordeal and the dealer was an hour away from me. My Mitsubishi dealer is local ( the svc manager has a new 350 whp Evo) , they had cars in stock , I got Recaros and the wheels I wanted. It was a no brainer for me. Oh yea I paid almost 2 grand less for the Evo.

42. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I think the new EVO's look like a anime villain

43. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

2014 will unveil the desiel or some sort of hybrid evo. :( We'll see how much power they plan on getting out of that eco friendly car.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  44. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

We are going to need to do a mountain drive with mine and my other buddies 08' GSR. I've got a IX SE 5spd and loving it in stock form. Handles way better than my stock STi and even after I did the swaybars and BC coilovers to the STi.

4B11 is Aluminum Block
    4G63 is Iron Block

What I hate about the EVO:
    Turning radius sucks!!!!
    Stupid Altezza tail lights!!!(Ordered EVO VII tails)
    Cheap 1980's dash cluster look and it's dim as heck(even with max setting)!!!
    Stupid integrated fog lights in the headlamp assembly!!
    Recaro leather gets wrinkled/cracked easily(even though mine has not)
    No boost or oil pressure gauge(I'm putting the factory mitsu one in)
    Freakin stock Yoko Advan A046 tires are $358.00 each for 17x8!!! No thank you!!
    All the trans feels like they are grinding in every gear.(fixing that with updated trans fluid.)
    Factory Headlight adjustment is pointed way down. Hard to adjust as well.

What I like about the EVO:
    Drives very comfortably.
    Steering response feels very connected and not laggy like the STi.
    No big ol ram air hood scoop that annoyed me.
    I think it gets better gas mileage than the STi, even though it is a 14gal tank.
    Love the seats cause they are comfy for us skinny folks.
    Upgrades are looking cheaper by the min, cheaper by the dozen. LoL!
    It takes the turns very well compared to the STi.
    It has a more stealthier look from the rear and looks ordinary. Front, not so stealthy.

Overall, it feels great driving it daily and love the look. Glad I went over to the dark side. Don't get me wrong, I still own a couple of subbies in the driveway. Going to do the STi swap on the SH Forester. Pain in the neck that will be getting all the wiring and lighting correct. :(

Anyhow, just all my opinion on owning both an 05' STi and 06' EVO.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  45. AutoxSTi

AutoxSTi Member

I boosted honda...LoL! I can work on this and it's cheaper. Trans is easy to drop out. Like you said, "Its a Honda".

46. lsnaple

lsnaple Member

Congrats, I like the newest evo's. As far as the s2000, that car is a blast to drive and the only reason I went wrx over s2000 was that it was going to be my dd and the wrx killed s2000 in dd ability.

47. 05WRXSTI

05WRXSTI Member

I think my STI I ordered is at Troncalli. I got my deposit back today. Someboy's going to get a sweet ride as I put some good options on that Sti. Troncalli is 1st class.

48. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

what about the transmission?