Engine Rebuild Need Help

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by gobbsmack, Feb 20, 2012.

1. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

Hey ppls, ok i have a 03 wrx. It has a 2.5 block. Today as i was leaving work my engine cut off on me and there was alot of thumping and scrapping noise. I checked under the car it was good. Checked oil and its also good. hell changed it like 2k ago. When i turn the switch the crank does not turn over. To me the sound is similiar to a locked motor. I believe i possible through a rod. Worst case, what are the steps ineed to take to tear this motor down or any suggestions? I may do some upgrades if the block is not damaged.

I just need to be put on the right path. Prices are a big issue but i will do what i can to make this right. I never worked on this motor so ill take pics. Any help is always welcomed.

2. MeFryRice

MeFryRice Member

Do a bunch of research on NASIOC or you can give one of the local vendors a call about getting you back on the road. Without an idea of what failed, no one will be able to tell you what you should look into doing or even an estimate on what it'll cost you.

3. 04subiwrx

04subiwrx Member

call and talk to brandon at all pro

4. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

ill give him a call tomm. idk if i should tow it to my apt garage or to a shop.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

If you have never rebuilt an engine yourself I would recommend not trying it on this one.

The guys at AllPro have a great engine program.

Matt

6. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

Ive rebuilt engines on hondas quite a few times. But subarus may be a different story. ill check into allpro.

7. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

Good luck Grady. Keep us updated!

8. From expierence, don't cheap out. If it is something severe, don't skip corners.

By far Honda's were the easy and cheap to work on. But the rewards are so much worth the cost with Subaru.

9. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

Latest News: I did some diag work and narrowed it down to the timing belt. Bout to work on it and see if it broke.

Update:
    Well i got the radiator off connecting hoses drive belts ac tensioner and crank pulley off. I took off the timing belt cover saw a disappointment. The belt is not broke and looks damn new. So i came to the conclusion that ill have to drop the oil pan. Maybe ill be able to see if i thrown a rod. Keep u posted.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  10. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

Well i didn't drop the oil pan. But i took off the turbo inlet tube to make sure the turbo didn't come apart. I spent it around and checked fins. All good. Only thing left is to check the valves. To do this ill have to pull the motor. Ill have it ready yo come out by the weekend. Here are some pics. Oh and disregard the coolant/mess.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After Timing Cover off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now Tmic off:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ill keep u updated!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  11. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

The timing belt could have skipped a few teeth instead of breaking... that just happened to my old WRX (thankfully a few months after I sold it). Had something to do with the tensioner.

12. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

hopefully your pickup tube isn't sitting in the bottom of your oil pan

13. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

I checked the timing belt. Teeth are all there tensioners and pulleys move freely.
    When i get the money up. Ill have it towed to allpro. Then ill be ready for the disappointment.

14. h23bb2

h23bb2 Member

Not being a dick, but I noticed some other issues. 1) judging by the pictures, your catchcan/breather hose routing isn't setup properly. 2) looks like your splitter for your hoodscoop is still on despite a much larger tmic so your loosing out on the greater cooling capacity. Again, this is based on pictures so it may actually be different and likely has little to no bearing on your current predicament.

15. gobbsmack

gobbsmack Member

As far as the catch can, idk how it suppose to be routed. It was like this when i bought the car. And ill have to look at the spitter u speak of. Something else i don't know about