subaru version of the ft86

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, May 27, 2011.

1. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

2. Jake

Jake Active Member

the 'build your own' and all other links work too

but it doesnt have the options correct yet. just has a crapload of them listed, no pictures of them. only thing you can really adjust is color and transmission. can't add or takeaway a spoiler or underspoilers or anything yet

Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  3. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

can i get shotgun? lol congrats on the pre-order

4. mokinbird87

5. AtlxPat

AtlxPat Active Member

WOW starts @ 17k?

6. Matt

This just in, from another forum:

7. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

Didn't expect the car to be such a huge hit? Doubt it.

8. longfury

longfury Active Member

The market has been starved for a relatively light weight 2+2 coupe for a very long time. A company like Toyota/Subaru says they will build one. They had to expect huge numbers. They might have been cautiously optimistic, but they had to see the potential.

Supply will be tight for the first 6 months but after that they will become pretty common in either Scion or Subaru trim.

9. Matt

Pricing for the FR-S will be announced tomorrow. Subaru is expected to follow very shortly after with their pricing. From what's been leaked:

Scion-FRS 6MT MSRP: $24,200
    Scion-FRS 6AT MSRP: $25,300
    Add Destination Charge to each - $750.00

10. Matt

11. Jake

Jake Active Member

12. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

not bad.

13. Matt

not bad, but considering it's a scion, it should start at 22...the tC starts at 19k...

14. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

Well, the car is self is 100% the same as the Subaru. Cant see it being that much cheaper.

15. Matt

yes, but there are quite a few differences in standard options...like nav and HIDs and other things...

16. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Also keep in mind.... Scion one price business model vs. typical "negotiable" to dealer invoice. Don't know how that really affects early adopters, but just something to chew on. Never bought a new Scion, so I don't know how set that model is in actuality.

17. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

About $2500 over priced. That should be the Subaru's starting price.

18. Jake

Jake Active Member

agreed here. their pricing strategy is different than subaru's you can go in and negotiate what will surely be a higher BRZ price down, whereas the Scion is what it is. PERIOD

19. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

20. mokinbird87

uh oh... :rofl:

21. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

shit looks good

22. Matt

leaked pricing:

FRS MT: $24,230 MSRP; $24,930 with dest
    BRZ premium MT: $25,295 MSRP; $26,070 with dest
    BRZ limited MT: $27,295 MSRP; $28,070 with dest

23. Hazzard

Hazzard Member

Close.

24. Matt

25. nsvwrx

nsvwrx Active Member

not sure why but i still feel that 29k is a bit too much.

26. Jake

Jake Active Member

27. Matt

[youtube]EVOQI-qfvxw[/youtube]

28. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I guess their rollers are locked together. Needs more torque...

29. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

The hell. Looks weak.

30. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Maybe for you and the 4 other people that will buy an automatic.

31. rsutton1223

F22C swap FTW?

32. slade1274

slade1274 Member

S2K never had torque and were tons of fun

BRZ is meant to be an animal such as that, not

[​IMG]

That being said... we gotta give Ball some way to make a living. ;)

33. rsutton1223

The S2K had 11 more foot pounds of torque and 40 more horses under the hood and that motor dated back to 2004.

In 2012...they should be able to push more power out of a 2.0 liter Boxer and keep it reliable with better fuel mileage...or they need to go with a different design. Even the new Si Coupe makes 170 ft/lbs. For the same amount of money...you could be in a Genesis Coupe.

The Miata is down around that range with 140...but weighs around 300 pounds less.

All of those motors were a lot more reliable under modification than the Boxer setup as well. I would have liked to see 240 crank hp with 200 ft lbs. personally. That would have made for some crazy fun on good tires. Has there been a track or road test with decent tires on the car yet?

34. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Touche

well played sir- caught in an internet forum bombing run. Didn't take the time to research the two wheel for wheel before posting.
    :eek:

And I think I do like the looks of the Viper.

35. b reel

b reel Active Member

keep in mind that this motor is new inside out, just hope it doesn't end up like the Old's Quad-4.

36. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I loved my Quad4... but it was the W41 :p

Old school Achieva SCX ftw.

37. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

My mini has 175 hp 177 ft of torque and has no problem confusing the shit out of people on twisty roads. With a jump of a second or so, because of the weight I can keep up with 300 hp cars. Coming out of turns, I carry so much speed that it takes 400+ hp cars at least 2-3 seconds to start pulling away. I WOULD get my ass kicked at road atlanta or simply street racing.

I don't really give a shit though, because it handles better than most anything out there and is fun as hell to drive.

I'm more disappointed in the fact that everyone is getting pissy. Find a friend with a Miata, Mini, or S2k and find yourself a nice curvy road. Or hell, come ride with me sometime.

38. rsutton1223

Your car is over 200 pounds lighter and has a much shorter wheel base. It is almost like they built that car to change directions quickly.

I am not saying the BRZ is a bad car...I just don't think it is going to live up to all of the marketing hype that has been pushed around it.

39. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

97.1 on the mini 101.2 on the brz.

and 30 more hp in brz

They keep advertising the low cg and polar moment of inertia this thing has. I'm going to go with it being able to change directions almost as well.

40. rsutton1223

30 more HP but 20 ft/lbs. less torque. I wouldn't be so concerned with the HP number as I am torque. When you take off the Prius tires and actually put on something that sticks...what happens to the car at that point?

This is all speculation of course as none of us have any serious seat time in one. It just seems that everyone is drooling all over it just because it is a different Subaru. Hell...even the Toyota version isn't getting this much attention.

41. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

Depends on the people. I secretly love it because of the boxer engine, and you're not stuck in the wrx/awd platform. The power is the least of my concerns about the car. If everything else they tout about handling is what they say it is going to be..it will be fun as hell to drive.

They are not marketing a race car, they are marketing a "pure driving experience".

Half the people excited about this car were expecting the wrong thing. I don't feel betrayed by the advertising at all. Need an example of crazy advertising, look around to half of the cars out right now. *cough* Chevy Sonic *cough*

42. rsutton1223

+1 to that. That was the frustrating part of talking about this car on the interwebs. Hyping it up to be something it isn't. However...that doesn't change the fact they should have added more torque!!! ;)

Agreed on the Sonic.

43. Jake

Jake Active Member

i think they are just trying to make an eco based car that is fun to drive and then they are going to turbo/supercharge the car for that added torque.

if they met everyone's expectations with the first model of the car, then there would be no room to improve upon with an STi model that therefore wouldn't sell. soy you have to leave room for improvement

44. Matt

a LOT of people are thinking this car is more than it actually is. When you look at the cars it's meant to compete against, it's dead on. It's not meant for straight line speed. you want that, get a corvette or mustang. you want something that's economical and fun as hell to drive? Get the BRZ.

I did some research last night. when the NB miata was released, pricing started at 19k. That was in 99. If you inflated that to todays pricing, it starts at 26k. Everyone that's saying this car is too expensive for what it is hasn't taken that into consideration.

Same goes for the WRX. As Delette stated, he paid 20k for his 04 WRX in 03. Inflated pricing is on par with what the car costs new now.

45. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

I'm too lazy to look up the price of the s2k, but wasn't it a fortune new?

46. rsutton1223

It wasn't a fortune but it was in the next bracket at 32,800.

47. Matt

MSRP in 09 was 34,995 for the 'base' and the CR was 36,995.

48. mokinbird87

man couldnt have been said better... i for one used to own a NB miata and drives my friends mini S occasionally, and i`m pretty confident (especially in the mini cooper) i can outrun almost anything on a narrow twisty road. the only complaint i have about the mini is that i dont feel comfortable sitting in one (mind you i`m 6'1")... I feel like i`m sat on the car rather than in it. and judging from what i saw in person, the BRZ will have the seating position that i want and keep all the goodness from the mini and the miata alike.

about the hype of the car; i mean, we`ve all been keeping up with the brz/frs since it was a concept like 3-4 years ago? of course i am damn excited that this thing is finally in production! people just want it to do well and some of that translated into exaggerated expectation i think.

also, i dont think you can compare this car to a 370z or the genesis coupe. it's not so much a matter of price or the RWD, but simply what the driver wants in a car. i think the BRZ is more for the niche market.

at last, to me, cars like the GT-R, STI, and the EVO has no significant values... they are great cars dont get me wrong, but i consider these cars "atari-cars"; they do everything for you. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with that. But when it comes to true sports cars, i want it to be something i can fully control and have fun no matter what the lap time is. i want it to react very sharply to my inputs whether it be in the throttle or steering. Heavy awd platform cars will never offer the same amount of driving feel as a lightweight rear wheel driven car and that's what the BRZ focuses on; driving experience.

49. longfury

longfury Active Member

The GT-R and the Evo I would call "Atari-cars"(especially the GT-R). The STI on the other hand is much more stupid in comparison with just the DCCD that only does between a 41F/59R and a 50/50 torque split depending on the settings. Turn off the stability and traction controls and that is all the car does. Everything else is mechanical.

50. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member