Gaming: Diablo 3

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by bixs, May 17, 2012.

1. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

How is it so far? I own it, but I need some convincing to fix my pc first.

Was shutoff for like 5 months because I never use it at home anymore and now it won't boot.

2. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. played too long last night though and am exhausted this morning.

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

it's not diablo 2, which is more of what i was hoping for. I never played WoW, but everybody's been saying it's much like that.

Pros
    Larger environments
    Stronger monsters
    Cooler bonuses
    No stamina
    Drops are dedicated - no suicide runs
    You only have to walk over gold to pick it up, no clicky
    Easy to navigate through the individual windows
    Nice mix of skills and skill bonuses
    Good chat interface

Cons
    No game lobbies - can be a pain to get eveyrbody together in the same game
    You can't 'create' custom games, you have to select what act or quest you're in and it auto places you in a game, usually alongside only one other person so you don't get good groups (unless you already know people and are friends / partied with them)
    There are already bots...

I'm sure there are some more, but I only had an hour or two to sit down and play last night. I'm honestly not sure if i'll make a hardcore character, as this game is so different from D2 i don't think they hard / soft correlate as well. The game play is substantially slower, you can't really power level like you could in Diablo 2.

Also, MF is now averaged throughout your party, so you can't really have an MF damage dealer to deliver the last blow for good drops. Not sure how I feel about this yet.

4. longfury

longfury Active Member

The always online, no offline single player BS has ruined it for me. I am tired of the lag and the disconnects.

Other than that I enjoy it when it works and the servers have not imploded.

5. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Yeah. I really wanted a game I could just play on my own without all the online crap that goes with it.

6. Megadeth2118

Megadeth2118 Member

I'm enjoying it so far. Had a few party joining errors, but other than that it's pretty fun.

Torchlight 2 should be coming out soon or if you want just single player you could grab the original Torchlight.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the game lobby issue can be fixed with chat groups and other interface enhancements. custom games shouldn't be an issue with the social interface, I just don't think we have it figured out yet

too early to say for power leveling at this point

8. I wish I had money laying around to build a PC. I want to play Diablo 3 so bad.

9. 07Ltd#767

@Nicad - agreed. I think once we get the shortcuts down, it will help off-game navigation quite a bit. I still don't like that we can't create custom games w/ titles, though. A full game lobby would be nice. I suspect the intentionally left this out to help motivate people to use the auction house feature more, as you can't create FS / FT games for items you pick up.

It was built off a graphics platform that's already dated. My video card I purchased over two years ago (and it was average at that time) can still run most settings on high, 19x10 and I'm still getting 45+ FPS.

The game isn't CPU or graphics intensive, any decent machine should be able to run it just fine

10. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

diablo? is is like that world or witch craft game?

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Dude, stop seeking for attention. And no its not like wow. sheesh, dont u have anything better to do...

As for D3, I like it so far. I give it 3.5/5 overall.

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

the part that wrecks most computers is the physics afaik. turn those to low

13. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

lol. but seriously i have never played wow or diablo... i have played starcraft though...
    so thanks for telling me its different.

but you right I have nothing better to do... and come on. if i wanted attention would i keep posting on here that same 15 people post?
    id go post on importatl or something.
    they dont call me troll for nothing

14. 07Ltd#767

yeah.

but you're so bad at it.

15. bomjoon

bomjoon Active Member

gotta start somewhere... may be one day i'll be a pro at being a trollin.

oh i did find out diablo 3 cant be played as a single player... that sucks. Sometimes its hard to get decent internet connection up here in Jefferson.

16. longfury

longfury Active Member

It can be played as single player. It is just still online. :|

17. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Reason for online only is due to the new auction house system. They dont want items being duped etc...

And just heads up to those who like to PvP... PvP will come shortly after everything is situated.

18. 07Ltd#767

Just beat it on normal mode, wanted to share my experiences without providing any spoilers for those yet to play.

Gameplay - it started to grow on me. Initially, I was turned off by the WoW and Guild Wars theme of the game, as I was hoping it would be a bit more fast paced and actually have leveling mean something (it doesn't, except to unlock runes). The storyline, however, is pretty good, as long as you can make it through the fist act. It continually got better, though I was disappointed in the difficulty of the bosses (assuming that will change as I increase difficulty levels).

Auction House - I've just started playing around with it, but it's starting to grow on me. It makes the game gold more valuable for things other than upgrading your blacksmith or jewel station. I always found gold to be more of a hassle in the older games, as it served no long term purpose. Also, and this is the best part, you no longer have to click on the gold piles to pick them up, you just need to walk in the vicinity of it - that coupled with no stamina and auto-ID'ing of rare items are far and away the best upgrades (if comparing to D2).

I still think the cooperative mode needs some work, as the party forming with random people is a joke. However, if you do happen to get a good group together, it can be much more enjoyable than solo play.

Softcore / Hardcore - I have no idea why you would ever want to play hardcore in this game. It takes WAY too long to level players up and proceed through the story line. Coupled with the lag and the 'two men enter, one man leaves' style boss encounters, I just don't see the appeal in it. They took out all modes of escape, and if you happen to roll the dice on a higher difficulty boss and he's immune to whatever you're doing...well, you're fucked.

My MAJOR dislike with the game - it seems it's intentionally cryptic when it doesn't need to be. For instance, in game, it's impossible to tell which quest your on or which act you're in, you can only see the current quest. Also, you have to go into the options to change some things around - things that should've been loaded that way from the beginning, such as the freedom to select multiple skills from the same category. It's a pain to create channels for friends - you essentially need to let the lowest level person create a game and then everybody has to join up (max 4 - really stupid...). You also, as the higher level, can't help lower level players by providing waypoints. If the higher level joins, he's essentially handicapped to the lower level progress, yet maintains the skills of a higher level player. Also, I believe if the player is greater than 10 levels above you, you don't collect any experience from the game.

The other extremely vague thing the game does is NOT show you any damage details for any skills. There's a damage calculator Blizzard has, but why the fuck wouldn't they just incorporate this into the game so you can see your skill damages on the fly? Seriously - that's a major design flaw IMO, and it's almost a deal breaker. You have 30 different attacks to choose from, but you only get descriptions of the attack (which you'll see first hand as soon as you use it), you get no damage ratings for anything. This then ties back into your gear you're wearing, as each class has primary attributes, but you have no idea where you should be putting these attributes or which ones are more important. It's very, very bad.

Overall I'd rate it a 2.5 / 5. I'll probably continue to play it through the tougher difficulties, but i don't know if I'll make another character. I don't really see the long term appeal in the game yet, though that may change as I progress through Nightmare mode. It's safe to say I'm generally disappointed in the overall game, though, especially for the hype it received and duration of waiting we were forced to endure (along with what must be the shittiest servers on the planet).

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  19. 07Ltd#767

20. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

For anyone that hasn't played World of Warcraft or kept up to date on blizzard's handling of people that cheat. They don't mess around, I suggest you don't even a little. I don't remember ever seeing a public note like this, but definitely have seen friends simultaneously lose battle.net accounts during the "waves" they speak of.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/6317359

Here's the forum post: