Ball Racing: What Kind of Engine Package Would YOU Like to See

Discussion in 'Ball Racing' started by slowwrx, Jan 4, 2012.

1. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

So there are lots of engine options out there and we are always looking to do something different.

We already offer several awesome 2.5 liter configurations but we want to know what it is you want to see, what interest you.

Does the high rpm destroker interest you or are you more of a low rpm high torque stroker kind of person.

Maybe you want to see a crazy high rpm race engine with exotic materials.

Maybe its way more simple than that maybe you want to see something with a 4032 alloy piston designed for longevity on the street.

We have a pretty cool long rod, high compression 2.2 liter build in the works right now for my car but its most likely more exotic than what most people are looking for.

So WRXATL tell us what you want to see and we will make it our next project.

2. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Why don't you build one of the 3.0L H6's

3. slowwrx

No demand for them. I had one but I sold it.

Its just not something most guys are going to build.

4. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

touche

5. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

*bump* or eg33

6. bixs

bixs Supporting Member

So actually, maybe you could research this more. I had heard the pistons from the 2.2 could be used in an eg33, as they are identical. However, the 3.3 NA of course has a higher compression. So.....yea we may need to talk soon. We'll see if I still want an eg33 in a month's time

7. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Cough*2.1*cough

Also interested in your 2.2

8. slowwrx

Will be doing a 2.1 for sure, I've actually got everything put to the side for it.

9. slowwrx

Waiting on the finalized piston design on the 2.2 so I can order the rods etc. Should have it late today or early tomorrow.

10. Sparta

Sparta Active Member

Nice I'll give you a call when I get off

11. tolnep

tolnep Member

though currently not looking due to prices, at one point i wanted a 2.5 create motor to drop in to my 2003 wrx.

2.0l heads, opened up properly, decent valve job, good cam package, relatively quiet, probably with some of the rotating assembly balanced.

for all intents and purposes a 2.5L to replace my 2.0 with approximately the same CR ready to drop in and attach the external stuff and go.

obviously built for performance, but also for a good lifespan and not necessarily a hard core race motor.

lots of folks sell most of the motor, many sell a built block and built heads and all the pieces. no one builds a motor with everything buttoned up and ready to go.

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I do believe that is one of the options that Ball has already if the customer requested it.

13. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I would love to see a quiet motor that can handle 550hp and last 150,000 miles. Don't care about rpms....if it's making 550hp it's making power as long as it's around 4500 rpms when the tq hits. The biggest key here though would be affordability.

14. slowwrx

550whp is a lot of power for an engine to handle for 150k miles. I've been thinking about doing a 4032 alloy engine but I still don't know if it would go 150k.

15. techlord

techlord Active Member

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I honestly believe Koko's original 4032 would've made it close if he didn't use nitro-meth. But iirc that engine was in the 400's and not 500's.

But hey you asked what we would like to see!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. brooks22

brooks22 Member

If you're building a motor to put down 550whp you're obviously going to beating on the motor so i don't see any 2.5 550whp motor lasting 150k. Lets be honest...who builds a 550whp car and doesn't use that power?

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  18. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Many people would love to DD their 500hp cars for a long time. Hey Vettes do it all the time.

19. brooks22

brooks22 Member

I love driving my car everyday too but i know that the motor won't last that long but maybe someday someone will develop something that will allow them to do so...but if parts aren't breaking the manufacturers aren't generating any revenue :cool:

20. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Found over 20 something stock longblock EJ207's with 120k+ miles (200k+ kilometers) on the European forums all with 500 bhp or more.

Hmmmmm what's up with that?

21. slowwrx

I'm not saying it can't be done.

EJ207 is a totally different beast than a EJ257.

22. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Care to explain. Is it something to do with bore/rod/piston design? All that said can you make an EJ205 meet the criteria (would think open deck will be issue).

23. slowwrx

Its really the total package that makes that engine great.

Its a smaller bore, and a smaller faster burning combustion chamber that's less knock prone.

Its a shorter stroke that side loads the piston less.

I'm working on something like that its more for the performance benefits than it is for the longevity.

24. b reel

b reel Active Member

so these reworked on a 2.2L/2.5L hybrid?

[​IMG]

25. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Oooh Version 3 heads.

26. slowwrx

I would Deshroud the valves a little more and do a few things but more or less.

I would actually prefer the version 4 or 5 heads

My next engine will be getting the avcs deleted.

27. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

600 whp that will go to 250k miles and is free. I don't think that is too much to ask.

28. slowwrx

Thanks for the feedback guys keep it coming

29. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Got any PPB links of your engines yet?

30. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

Do you have a list of common packages you are offering at this point.
    I'm not 100% sure what I want, but with just over 80k there's no telling when I'm going to rebuild what I have or better yet drop something new in.

I like the idea of the 2.2. I want a nice flat power band that doesn't run out of breath over 6,000. 300-350 awhp. Assume it's going to be beat on in the mtns. I guess I'm looking for a good replacement/upgrade for a basic stage 2 STi for "spirited" street driving.

What do you think?

31. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

That sounds like exactly what I would be seeking, when I have to replace my engine.

32. SubieEngineer

SubieEngineer Member

X3...

I spoke with Matt in person the last week of December and it sounds like the BR500 will suit my needs well.

My car is my DD with 1-2 autocrosses a month and maybe 4 track days prior year, so reliability is key.

Sent from The Gentleman's HTC Incredible via Tapatalk

33. slowwrx

I've got a couple of things that I think would be great for both of you.

I'll be making a post tomorrow evening with our most common engine packages.

I would direct you to the website but its not done yet. I finally gave up on doing it myself and hired someone.

34. pyrosyrus

pyrosyrus New Member

Do you do machine work? I'm looking to have a block bored/honed and mains line honed. Also need some rods checked and maybe honed. What about head machining?

35. slowwrx

Sure do, shoot me a PM with exactly what you are looking to get done and Ill get you a price.

If you have any parts you need I can help you out with that as well.

36. slowwrx

If you guys are just looking for 350whp our BR450 or BR500 would be the best choices. As far as the power falling off after 6000rpms thats more a function of the heads.

Shoot me a PM with details on your setup as well as some notes on how and where you drive the car and Ill make some recommendations.

37. driveclimbslide

driveclimbslide New Member

Have you engineered anything for E85? Would be pretty reliable in my mind too assuming you get good fuel.

38. slowwrx

The test engine in my car was designed with E85 in mind and the new engine for the racecar is designed with only the use of E85.

Designing it to run on E85 is easy because almost anything will with the proper fuel setup. Getting the most out of it is a different story.