The Cycling thread: ALL types welcome

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by WRboXer, Aug 16, 2012.

1. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Recent talks of biking figured id make a thread.

What do you ride, where do you ride, how many bikes in the stable, how long have you been riding, etc.

Me? Started riding XC in 01'ish at the Big Creek trail. First bike was a 98 GT Zaskar that i bought used from my cousin.

I am now riding pretty much every discipline besides DJ and real DH stuff(just because lack of any good DH locally)

I usually do 2 rides a week, one road ride consisting of either a Crit in Marietta where i get my ass kicked or a ~20 mile vinnings ride on Mondays, and a Wens evening mtn bike ride at one of the local trails.

I most recently sold my Intense Uzzi VPX and replaced it with something alittle more all mountain.
    Old VPX
    [​IMG]
    Replaced with a 11' GT Sanction 1.0(dont mind the seat height, had just finished building it, and hadnt adjusted yet). Some really nice components on this bike.
    [​IMG]

My ubran assualt/tool around/fun bike.
    04 Planet-X Ridge back. Spinergy Fall Line wheelset, holzfellar crank, oldschool Marz DJ1, etc...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My workout equipment/road bike. 07 K2 Mod 3.0, 105 components, all stock. This is the only bike i dont tinker with. Just pump up the tires and log some miles.
    [​IMG]

My first bike. 1998 GT Zaskar that i bought used from my cousine. Recently updated with 06' XTR crank/bb, XTR front disc, XT rear der, XT shifter, X-fusion Velour front fork. Etc... i would eventually like to get this thing refinished.
    [​IMG]

The whole family.
    [​IMG]

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Started riding when I was 5.

Started Mtn Biking when I was in college at Auburn. I would say around 1993 time frame. Had a Cannondale Super V back then. Went from that to a Specialized Stumpjumper. Then started racing in 2000-2001with a Santa Cruz Superlight. Was told to get faster needed to get on a road bike so I purchased a Giant TCR Carbon in 2002 and never really went back on a Mtn Bike. I currently race as a Cat 3 on the road with a 2012 Specialized S-works Venge. I also own a Specialized Tarmac SL1 and a Guru Time Trial Bike. I do currently own a Mtn Bike, it is a 2012 Kona Hei Hei 29er. Hopefully I will be getting back into Mtn Biking soon.

[​IMG]

3. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

I started Mth biking about 2 years ago. I ride a GT avalanche 2.0 with outpost disc brakes. I do most of my riding at Yellow River in Stone Mtn.....

[​IMG]

4. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Still rock the super V- various upgrades including a rear swing arm from a Jekyll. Had a lefty at one time and went back to headshock for ease of fork mount in the truck I used to have.
    [​IMG]

But it rarely gets used... not much mountain biking in Florida. :(

I have a Novara Big Buzz that gets the seat time- but alas, no "good pics". Basically a love child between road and mtn bike. 700c wheels and a 50 front ring
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  5. Jake

Jake Active Member

Hoping to buy a 29er here before te end of the year. My friends just picked up a pair of specialized 29ers. TONS of parks/trails out here. Thinking of hitting up big bend ranch state park around new years.

6. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Last year my 12-year old Daughter decided she wanted a moutain bike so while I was researching bikes for her, I ended up buying a new bike for me!
    I had an old GT Timerline and I upgraded to a Motobecane Fantom 29.
    Love the 29er so far. Looking to add a better fork soon as the Dart runs out of steam on big hits.
    My daugther did end up getting a nice Trek also though.

[​IMG]

7. Megadeth2118

Megadeth2118 Member

I've been riding on and off for about 10 years now. I primarily ride mountain bikes but have recently began road biking. I just completed a 63 mile road bike ride in Summerville last weekend with my dad. My current mountain bike is a Trek 4500 and I've been borrowing one of my dad's Trek road bikes.

I usually try to ride about every weekend around the Berry College mountain campus up in Rome.

8. cMags

cMags Member

Hey this is a topic that is high on my new-and-exciting-hobby list. :coolugh:

Been riding for as long as I can remember around Boston where I grew up. They were always "mountain bikes" but basic full rigid Huffy's etc. that I mostly rode around the city and over grass and such. But the bikes would come to camp for the summer and be on trails and dirt roads too.

Got out of biking after college when real life took over and am now getting back into it for exercise and leisure. I ride the Silver Comet with the wife and kid, and been hitting Sope Creek once or twice a week for the past few. Checked out Blankets Creek and Olde Rope Mill yesterday.

I ride a 2000 Raleigh M80 hardtail I picked up a few weeks ago on CL, Shimano Deore derailleurs and shifters, XT 9sp cassete, XTR chain, Shimano mech disc brakes, Rock Shox Jett XC fork (junk but does the job for now until my skill level surpasses the bikes current capability).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Max Q

Max Q Member

I started riding BMX and XC when I was 14. Took a 10 year hiatus after graduating high school and got back into it earlier this year when I bought a 2009 Specialized Enduro SL-Comp. When I'm home in Ellijay, I ride Ridgeway Trail (which is in my back yard) and Amadahy Trail, both near Carters Lake. When I'm with my GF in Marietta, I ride Sope Creek and Blankets Creek, where else.

[​IMG]

2009 Specialized Enduro SL-Comp AM
    Sun Ringle Charger Pro Tubeless Wheelset
    Schwalbe Big Betty & Muddy Mary tubeless tires
    S-works Carbon Enduro Handlebars
    Hope XC/FR Stem
    Straitline Levers
    Kindshock Supernatural Seat Post
    Shimano SLX Crankset 2X9 22-36t
    Straitline Bash Guard
    Blackspire Stinger Chainguide
    Shimano 11-36t Cassette
    Oury Lock On Grips
    SRAM X9 shifters and Derailleur
    CaneCreek 110 Headset
    Hope Rotors
    Fox RP23 Rear Shock w/ RWC Needle Bearing Kit
    WTB Vigo Pro Seat

10. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

Awesome! I used to bomb those trails on my full suspension Mongoose. We will have to ride together next time I'm back in town.

11. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I have a custom built BMX.

S&M LAF frame
    Thompson stem
    Fly brakes
    25t 9t sprockets
    S&M pitchfork forks
    Animal Hamilton pedals
    I think odyssey cranks
    Odyssey Hazard rims
    Fly front hub
    Shadow Conspiracy pegs bars and grips

Sad part is I had to go on Dans comp to try to remember what I have on it. I used to rider everyday and sometime over to Josh's house. Now it has been almost two years since I rode and my bike has been sitting in my ex gfs basement. I need to get it and ride!!!
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

12. cMags

cMags Member

Extending the topic, what do you guys use to transport your bikes? Does the Subaru pull transport duty? What systems you using?

I'm using a basic frame-slung hitch-mount rack, which allows the rear gate to clear by less than a 1/4" (without having to pull the hitch pin to use the fold-down-out-of-the-way feature). Bought it long ago at REI on clearance - Rhode Gear I think is the brand. I'd like a wheel mount to get the bikes level and centered behind the car at some point, but this will do for now.

[​IMG]

It'd be really cool sometime to have a WRXAtl bike day at a trail, and have a bunch of Subies all parked together and go riding. :cool:

13. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

I'm using cheap eBAY roof racks attached to the factory rack for 2 bikes and then if my wife and oldest want to go too, I put their 2 bikes on a Saris Bones on the rear hatch.
    [​IMG]

14. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Thule roof rack.

[​IMG]

15. integroid

This is the rack I have right now and IMHO, is the bst rack on the market for hitch mount.
    [​IMG]

Now they are really expensive and if I wasnt in the industry, I probably wouldnt have gotten one. It even has a built in repair stand!

16. cMags

cMags Member

17. integroid

I personally dont like anything touching or mounting to the frame of any of my bikes. That is why I went with the wheel mount type....the only parts of the bilke it touches are the tires.

As for price, after I started to add all the features I wanted, the Kuat came out to be about the same and I got a free workstand out of it:) If you look up the Yakima equivalent and start adding in all of the locks and other accesories, it is cheaper to get the Kuat....and the build quality on the Kuat is much better than any Yakima or Thule rack I have seen.

18. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

With the bike and frame materials you role, im not surprised.

19. integroid

Even with Aluminum I wouldnt want it touching the frame. Have you seen how thin the walls are on modern XC aluminum frames?

PS- Nice choice in tires, swine:)

20. cMags

cMags Member

Well, in my case, I'm sure the Swagman's mount holding the frame down and supporting the bike by the wheels would be better than hanging the whole bike by the frame. Plus it's an older bike - an '00 - with an oversized Al frame.

21. Max Q

Max Q Member

Thule 599xtr. Haven't had the chance to use it yet.

[​IMG]

22. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Nice lookin front lip u got there;)

23. Max Q

Max Q Member

Thanks! It was a pain to install and still needs a little work but I like.

24. lucky13

lucky13 Member

Glad it worked out for you.

25. dundunskeert

dundunskeert Member

I put a bike rack on my car to get that JDM look y'all!

JK... My bike fits in my backseat, hurray for bmx!