Umm... Project Jeep...

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by Texsun, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Texsun

Texsun Member

I bought this from Brandon of Allpro. Long story short I have always had a Jeep and I was missing the outdoor fun!

1999 Cherokee Limited clean Interior... I was planning on Purchasing an all Stock XJ and doing the build myself however, Brandon was needing to get rid of his to finish his STI Forester! I drove it back to my house with the cruise control set at 75mph! I was actually very impressed with that by itself! OOOO and it actually made it home and did explode like my STI haha!

Rough Country 4inch SA Lift
    Maxxiss Bighorn 35x12.50s
    D30 high pinion Front with 3.73 gears and Spartan Locker
    Chrysler 8.25 Superior 3.73 Gears Welded :(
    The Rear has been stretched to about 114"
    The Rear is also Comp Cut! which is what I wanted to do!
    CB/Antenna
    Halogen Light kit

I have ready to install...
    Full rebuild kit for the d30 and 8.25
    4.88s front and rear
    Spartan Locker Front
    Detroit Rear
    Rustys Long Arm from my previous XJ!

Overall goal for this project is to keep it some what streetable but maintain the ruggedness of my lifestyle. My wife is actually the one that convinced me to get another Jeep so she supports me 110% We are trying to work everything out between us. I want to build this XJ to be prepared for the Bath Salt Apocalypse!

Now for the good stuff the photos! For any of yall that remember me... I spend allot of time wheeling so Look Forward to TONS more photos!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE GOODIESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. Texsun

Texsun Member

As most of yall know I have some land, and my neighbors have even more land so I like to explore :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  3. Texsun

Texsun Member

Went up to the motor pool on camp to have a better look at the broken rear shock mount. I have decided fabbing up another system for bracket will be the best option. More than likely going coilover.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Texsun

Texsun Member

This weekend I decided wax it!

Photos after the waxing session!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Texsun

Texsun Member

6. b reel

b reel Active Member

email me those links again

7. Texsun

Texsun Member

8. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

looks like fun! i traded my 4 wheeler for a 85 cj7. looking for a 302 to drop in. Needs a little work also! have you been to durhamtown off road park yet?

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

I paid $150.00 for my 5.0L from a local yard minus the starter, dist cap and plug wires. Funny how a bag of ice, 12pack of Mexican Coke in bottles and a business card will net a phone call when a good car comes in...

10. Shewb

Shewb Member

Looks like Sheep Wallow...

When did you go? I know a bunch of guys that were there last Sunday from a Jeep forum.

11. Texsun

Texsun Member

Pretty much everday haha. That is damn near my backyard, my land is backed into the paper companies land. I have full access to the land, I am some what of a caretaker for them. I have been doing lots of cleanup the last few weeks, when people go out there they just trash the place with beer cans and other random trash.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2012
  12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Nice Jeep. Don't care for the butchered fenders but I see the purpose. Looks like a ton of fun!

13. Shewb

Shewb Member

That's cool. I love it up there. I'll let you know next time we're headed up there if you want to join us.

14. griggs81

griggs81 Supporting Member

Love the picture with the forklift.

15. boogerburns

boogerburns Member

That is my legacy next to it :) I was there when he bought it. Great purchase IMHO.

16. Banana

Banana Member

Yeah I was going to say, looks like Little Mountain to me.

17. Texsun

Texsun Member

Waterpump went out today, luckily I was only about 2 miles away from work! Highest the temp got to was 235-240ish still enough to piss me off!

First Up I drained and Flushed the radiator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Took the belt off, I didnt have to remove the fan shroud, radiator, brace or anything else besides the belt.

[​IMG]

Got the old water pump off... everything seemed like it should work haha.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Threw it all back together and everything is perfect, I havnet seen the temps raise past 205

18. Texsun

Texsun Member

I grenaded the rear-end 2x in 1 week! This is how it currently is sitting. This is where the good stuff comes!

[​IMG]

WTF

19. Texsun

Texsun Member

The XJ sat for about 3 more weeks until I got home from work one evening and the wife goes... I wanna go offroading get you Jeep fixed!!! Without hesitation, I started making phone calls looking for axles. *Called Allsouth a few times but they didnt have any, got lucky 3 days ago and called back! **** just got serious, they had a d60 with disc breaks and a d44. We are putting 5.13s, master rebuild, and a good ol spool in the d60.

[​IMG]

As for the front... its completed :)

FULL WIDTH D44/F350 HOUSING: DIRECT BOLT IN

SOLID DIFF COVER

RUBICON EXPRESS H.D TRACK BAR

REID RACING KNUCKLES

BTF HIGH STEER ARMS

ALLOY USA CHROMOLLY AXLE SHAFTS

UPGRADED U-JOINTS

EATON E-LOCKER - PUSH BUTTON LOCKER

5.13 RING AND PINION

ROCK CRUSHER FLANGES

STAGE 8 X-LOCK HUB LOCKS

XJ AXLE BRACKETS

Super Beefy STEERING ready for hydro

3 LINK Y LONG ARM KIT

[​IMG]

20. Texsun

Texsun Member

21. Texsun

Texsun Member

All loaded up, now off to the buddies shop!

[​IMG]

22. Texsun

Texsun Member

Updates for some of yall...

Gears and other goodies into the d60

[​IMG]

Something might be missing in the front...

[​IMG]

The wheels turned out great!

[​IMG]

3link front is complete, along with all steering components!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Rear d60 is complete, but I am waiting on the BTF Diff Cover!

[​IMG]

Here is a quick Teaser how it sitting right now! First flex shots coming soon!

A quick teaser :)

[​IMG]

23. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

WOW!!!! That jeep looks mean. Great job....

24. Texsun

Texsun Member

A few more pics for yall :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. 5spdfrk

5spdfrk Active Member

Looking good man, I need to get mine up to spec!

26. Texsun

Texsun Member

Mmmmm just drove it on the new axles for a combined total of 115 miles on highway cruise control set at 68mph no issues!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

27. Texsun

Texsun Member

It sits a bit wider than I would like, however I will never flip! The stance is extremely wide because of the custom 15" 8x6.5 wheels with an INSANE BACKSPACING :(

A few photos for your viewing pleasure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Nice choice in Tires. Bighorns are no joke!

29. b reel

b reel Active Member

damn, I'd have my Ranger off road if it wasn't for this f'ing Subaru sitting here sucking the cash out of me. Not jealous at all... bastard. LOL

Nice ride, what's next?

30. Max Q

Max Q Member

Sweet jeep! I didn't realize the leaf springs had that kind of range of motion but I know nothing of jeeps. :D

31. Texsun

Texsun Member

Did some more flexing to make sure everything was still good to go!!!

My goal for articulation was accomplished! I wanted to be able to flex out higher than the other end of the jeeps tire!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

32. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Dude, that came out really bad ass!! Looks like it can climb a mountain. Let me know when your going off roading...Ill ride shotgun!! But where is your whench at??

33. Texsun

Texsun Member

Gotta save a few more bones up to get a winch :(

34. Texsun

Texsun Member

Best part about having my jeep... Knowing that this road turns into a dirt road, than dead ends at my cabin, and all that land is mine to explore!

[​IMG]

35. UpSideDownDesi

UpSideDownDesi Active Member

Damn your jeeps makes mine look like childs play. Hopefully I'll start playing with mine more. Def keeping a eye on this thread.

36. Texsun

Texsun Member

37. digitizedsoul

digitizedsoul Moderation is a vice Supporting Member

lol nice dude, i've never met you but would love to ride some 4wheelers up there or something. I got nothing down here in Norcross I have to go to NC to do any riding...

38. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Sick, would love to own something like this.

39. Texsun

Texsun Member

I have less than $5,000 invested in the entire jeep, including original purchase! Way cheaper than Subaru and IMO will last longer well in stock form...

40. b reel

b reel Active Member

was about to say these are cheap as hell to build if you play your cards right.

41. Texsun

Texsun Member

42. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Money is not an issue, all other variables are tho.

43. Texsun

Texsun Member

What variables? Other than practicality of a big ol pointless Jeep?

I just went through my 1st complete tank of gas on the new axles/gears and averaged 24.8 MPG and that was up here in the mountains! WTF I am happy :)

44. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Lol, that cant be right?

Also, how does one build a jeep as such so cheap?

45. Texsun

Texsun Member

As I was driving into town today, my computer said I was getting between 16-28 MPG deepening on throttle use

Bought the Dana 44 front axle pre fabbed up, long arm 3 link kit, extended brake lines etc and geared/locked for $1800
    Rear Dana 60 for $250, gears/locker for $500, master rebuild kit with yoke, $125 re used the brakes that where on the axles $0. Plus original purchase of jeep that came with lift and what not... so that right at $5100 total!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  46. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

:rofl:

you post up a video of an epic off road machine...driving on the road. Dude, get your ass on trail. I want to see a practical video of flex, not some ditch pictures :D

47. Texsun

Texsun Member

Yes sir! I am still getting everything tweaked out, will have an epic flexing rock crawling thingy soon!

48. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

I expect nothing less than this:

[​IMG]

no excuses!!!

49. Texsun

Texsun Member

50. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

All that and no sliders?