markets wince

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mad Mallard, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

The trade markets of the USA are on track to tank %3 whole percentage points today. Some analysts are (ignorantly) surprised of this, having thought that the certainty of the USA election being over would have sent the markets on a rise instead.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2012/11/07/obama-win-sectors-react/1688925/
    http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2012/11/07/wall-street-election-react/1687277/

The losses are market wide, but led by energy selloffs. Energy, meaning electricty production, coal, crude oil. Also, medical manufacturing leads the losses.

The rest of global stocks are also down, reflecting the ripple of the US. most on target to have 2 full point losses in their trading markets too. While they might've rebounded by now, the Greek problem looming makes people stay nervous

The government of Greece, currently receiving billions in relief money to pay for its social programs from the rest of Europe, is trying to at least partially cut those same social programs as a requirement to continue getting that money from the rest of Europe. However, their public oppose ANY cuts to ANY social programs and want the government to leave the EU and become bankrupt, despite an unemployment rate of about %25 (if you think ours is terrible...)

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-markets-global-idUSBRE88901C20121107

And most news outlets reporting or commenting on this seem to be leading the discussion with the idea that these things are isolated, and unrelated to any of the other happenings of the week.

What do you believe? And what are you going to do with the information?

2. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

LOL the lack of response is funny. It's nothing new...these things happen all the time. Market will recover, bounce back and people will resume their daily activities.

3. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Indian cheif say "Market down one day, up another. Sun still rise and set."

4. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

SELL SELL SELL....We only have 42 DAYS left on earth according to the Mayans!

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sell sell sell....then hookers and blow hookers and blow. May as well go out with a bang.

6. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Got a temp license since mine just expired, the temp expires on 12/21/12.... Touche Mayans

7. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's rigged. high frequency trading will doom us all.

besides, if I were a wall street type I'd be worried if my billionaire backed candidate who HATES necessary gov't regulation didn't get elected. harder to make money if the incumbent administration has stronger rhetoric when it comes to outing these crooks.

8. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

By crooks are you referring to the many failed "green" energy companies that Obama has pumped Billions of taxpayer dollars into?

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

has nothing to do with what nicad was referring to, need to read up some more B. as for the corporate subsidies, thank Lincoln for that. it's the real reason for the FIRST civil war. If you compare maps, eerily looks like the same maps from 1861-1865

10. BKiller

BKiller Active Member

Just wondering which "crooks" Obama has helped "out"?

11. slade1274

slade1274 Member

Helping out
    Help outing

Completely different.

12. b reel

b reel Active Member

13. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

I'm referring to the distribution from people like Sheldon Adelson. It's no secret what the big time GOP individual contributors are looking for when it comes to gov't: less regulation.

by crooks, I'm referring to the assholes in investment firms who fucked the country and got caught with their hands in the cookie jar (US Treasury). This all started with the repeal of Glass Steagall ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass–...80.9Crepeal.E2.80.9D_and_the_financial_crisis ) and will continue to be a large reason why so much money is poured into politics.

so yes. if I were a super wealthy wall street guy/investment firm and my candidate didn't get elected I would be a little worried. especially when the current administration at least puts of a facade of wanting to be in favor of regulation, when the republican party basically gets on their knees for wall street.

14. Mad Mallard

Mad Mallard the mad mallard

I put that together to show that there are economic press people who have a social agenda that seems to cloud their ability to reflect on the effects that world events have.

and so, I was just curious what individuals would do once presented with some of this info, (if they do anything with it, act upon it, tune it out, etc. ) compared to these figures in the press's view of what should be happening. Especially considering these moves in the last week are not tied to one or two companies, but large segments.

but if me even putting that out there as food for thought just comes out as noise around here, then i wont bother again~~

(market values have dropped another 2% on top of the ones pointed out last week in my post still led by the same industries, btw...)

15. nicad

nicad Yes I am a troll

it's an interesting discussion. most people won't join in it, unfortunately.

16. J_P

J_P I like pudding pops Supporting Member

It's just another form of gambling at this point. I assume everybody is just trying to take money out of my pocket any way they can. Want your stock to go up in the current quarter? Layoff a couple thousand employees and the stock goes up. Nobody invests in the long term anymore. I honestly wonder whether investing in my traditional 401k is even worth it anymore.

I can't really discuss healthcare without being at least buzzed. Crooks and middlemen. Screw big pharm.