Engine replacement...won't quite start...

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jautry27, Dec 3, 2012.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

I just replaced my engine. Hooked everything up. 99.99% sure I hooked everything up properly. Cranks and ALMOST starts every time. I know it's getting spark, because I'm getting a little smoke from the tailpipe.

The only other thing I can think of that it might be is the timing is just barely a hair off. Feels like the timing may be one tooth off or something. It's right there, but it's teasing me.

Opinions?

2. onemoresti

onemoresti Member

Maybe timing is off or coils plugged in backwards?

3. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Edit

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  4. ChrisW

ChrisW Member

Mine was acting the same way when I first got it installed, I had my coils reversed.

5. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

Do you have an aftermarket intake? If so, maybe the maf is backwards.

6. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Couple options.

1) check the Maf direction if aftermarket intake.
    2) check the coil plugs. White plugs go up front, black plugs go in the back.
    3) make sure all piping is sealed....massive boost leaks and vac leaks wreck havoc.

7. Al.SpecB

Al.SpecB Member

Also Double check the fuel lines, I know on my legacy the feed line and return line are right next to each other and almost got the crossed. Good luck with solving your problem.

8. wrxin8or

wrxin8or Mullitt Staff Member

Fixed.

If you're going to correct someone's grammar/usage, your's had better be perfect.

Noob.

9. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Oh wow pwned by a princess. My bad.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  10. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, I didn't leave until 6 am this morning an I'm about to head back in. I'll check all of the above.

11. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Maf check...coils check...fuel lines check....grounds check...all I can think it may be is the timing

12. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

If it's the timing it has to be more than 1 tooth off. I had mine off by almost one tooth due to a stretched Gates Kevlar belt (piece of junk...OEM is best). Car still ran but was severely low on power.

13. K. Marx

K. Marx Member

[​IMG]

Extreme ironing?

Sorry, the English teacher in me couldn't resist. :) I'm sure if someone really decided to tear my posts apart, he'd have a field day.

Good luck to the OP, though. I know this is kind of a no-no, but if you want to make absolutely sure you're getting spark and rule out a fueling issue, you might put a SMALL squirt of starting fluid through the intake and see if it fires, if only for a second.

EDIT: After making the above suggestion, I already retract it. I've done it many times to verify spark, and I do it with a quick spray with the throttle plate open, and attempted start with the plate closed.

A lot can go wrong, and I HAVE seem people blow intake tracts apart on a gasoline engine using starting fluid. You've had enough problems with this car, no point creating another one, which is especially possible since your timing might be off, leaving a valve partially open when spark occurs.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  14. jautry27

jautry27 Member

She runs!!! The timing was off...

15. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Well, she is running now, but the clutch ain't quite right. Every time I press it about an inch or so in, it "snaps" to the floor. I have to pull it back up because it won't come back up on its own. Tried bleeding it, but to no avail. Nothing but a frothy mess coming out of the slave cylinder. I figured I'd let it sit overnight and see what happens.

16. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

That sucks...best of luck.

17. b reel

b reel Active Member

rig your penis pump to the slave nipple

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  18. wgatactical

wgatactical Member

I just 2 days ago had to replace my slave cylinder, finished my build and got it installed and the clutch was doing the same thing. Swapped the slave and master at the same time but it was definitely the slave cylinder. Got one for a good price at AllPro, AutoZone carries them for about $80 but you may have to order it from them since not all stores keep them in stock.

19. jautry27

jautry27 Member

For right now she's doing ok. Still extremely sensitive though. It is a stage 2 competition clutch.