star specs vs RS3 vs conti DW

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by mokinbird87, Dec 10, 2012.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

would just get Michelin super sports and call it a day, but they are way out of my price range for now...

I used to run RS2 and really liked them, minus the horrendous noise toward the end of its life and how greasy it gets under minimal heat. At the moment I`m leaning toward the star specs for its all around durability, wet traction, and steering response. I would consider the RS3 if it lasts longer than the suggested 140 treadwear :sx:... and then, considering my new suspension set up and wheel package (ST coilovers and 17x8 wheels), maybe the continental extreme contact DW will be sporty enough for a DD, since I dont race my car (yet) and will offer the most comfort out of the three while still being quite capable? it's also the cheapest and the lightest of the three as well.. but I`m afraid the sidewall would be too soft and ruin the steering response...

I`ve read enough reviews about them, so anyone with real world experience with them, please chime in. thanks!

2. slade1274

slade1274 Member

I liked the DW on my Mini Clubman

3. mokinbird87

also considering the nitto nt-05, but it just doesnt hit high on anything... doesnt quite grip like the RS3, or last as long as the star specs, or as comfortable as the conti's...

4. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

As you guy's know I sell tires. This is just my opinion from my personal experience i have had. I have ran just about ever uhp tire on the market. If you have the money to spend on a set of Michelin super sports put them on the car and call it a day you will be happy. I f your trying to save some money but still get a great tire go with the Conti DW,
    I have them on my M3 now and love them. The tire I last had on my WRX before I sold it was the NT 05, Great tire in the dry but not great in the rain. Again this is just my opinion....

5. mokinbird87

thanks josh.

6. mokinbird87

apparently the zII star specs are coming in February.. hmm....

7. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

if these zII's are similar in heat handling like the current generation, they will get greasy with prolonged spirited driving on our front heavy under-steering subies. I think you know i really like the Michelin PSS's, and I still recommend them, great grip, and really great tread life, also they seem to tolerate camber a lot better than the starspecs (saw obvious camber wear after about 300miles of 'normal' driving)

I don't know about the dw's but the dws's are great for all season, suck ass for spirited driving

8. Jake

Jake Active Member

agreed, the star specs heat up too quick on heavy cars. every subie i've seen with them eats them super fast and under spirited use, get super greasy

9. mokinbird87

I had the same 'greasy' problem with the RS2s when I had em, but apparently they fixed that issue on the RS3s. however it is still rated at 140 treadwear!!! I know it`s all subjective and all, but damn I would like at least 15k miles out of a set that i`m gonna spend $400-500 on (mind you, I did manage 25k miles out of the RS2s which were rated at 200, but I`m on stock alignment set up).

and Jeff, I`m not a baller like you, I cant afford tires that cost as much as my coilovers lol if and when I do get the PSS, it will be going on a permanent set of wheels, not the ones i have now.

10. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

haha im no baller, im running them on my stock bbs's, sure not exactly cheap but it was really only like 150 more than starspecs (when i bought, dont know now), and they are far superior on our cars. So if you think about it, the high amount of mileage others have been getting, i would bet money a set of pss's would last twice as long as starspecs. So for that bit of a bump in cost, its actually more cost effective, granted i don't know anything about the rs2/3. But for spirited and dd, i think the pss's are perfect bc the wet traction is on par with the dws's i have on my second set of wheels, and they're much quieter than the starspecs were for me

11. mokinbird87

Jeff, you and I are gonna go for a ride when I finally get my STs put on. however, I`m gonna be showing up in the mom van to the meet this week i think... it all depends on how quickly it arrives at Allpro lol

12. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

camber wear is a myth..."set the toe and let it go"

13. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Do the math...the PSS's vs. an RS3 or Star Spec will cost you less per mile. Last time I checked...the Star Specs were not cheap.

Edit: F it...just get R888's. Because JDM track car.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  14. Tireboi

Tireboi Member

Will it just dding on them? (No track days, autox, or mtn runs?)

15. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

Yes I recently purchased one to replace a damaged caused by a flat and it cost me ~196; price went up and they are hard to get now since they are discontinued.

16. mokinbird87

after putting on the STs, definitely leaning toward the conti's.