Andy's Bugeye

Discussion in 'Member Journals & Project Build Stories' started by mokinbird87, Nov 19, 2012.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

finally took some time to dig thru the photos and share my experience with my car! I had the privilege to get the WRX as my first car, and she`s been with me ever since (well, had a few hiccups but still here with me). Bought it from a dodge/jeep dealership with 74k miles on the clock, parents giving me enough serious chat about how it's not a 'smart' buy for a soon-to-be college student (6 years ago already) :rofl: enough talking, here are some photos.

when i first got the car and started asking questions on the forums.. i swore that i wouldnt modify it then lol.
    [​IMG]
    and then this happened like, 2-3 weeks after buying the car:
    [​IMG]
    went against everyone's advice on the forums and went thru hell with 'cheap' hid kits... :hsnono:
    [​IMG]
    yellow fog cover, prodrive springs, cheap-ass home depot lip in order. (which reminds me i gotta get that prodrive lip put on the car haha) the car had sti uppipe, helix catless downpipe running on stage 2 map on accessport then. I decided I would deal with power later and sold most of the power goodies.
    [​IMG]
    doing some minor care on the car... not so much fun when almost every nuts/bolts are rusted in haha. [​IMG]
    all clean!
    [​IMG]
    my friend's 20G RS and mine on auto-x playground in savannah:
    [​IMG]
    the moment when i was glad i didnt have any aftermarket intakes :keke:
    [​IMG]
    painted my stockers at night time and missed a whole bunch of spots... I thought I would do a decent job since I studied how to paint and all in college but boy I would NEVER rattle-can anything on my car anymore haha. lessons learned.
    [​IMG]
    so I tried the Saab 17", but the offset didnt quite work out. sold em after about a week.
    [​IMG]
    random photo of me on the track
    [​IMG]
    cops were out practicing their manuevers haha. this photo caused some fun on my facebook :naughty:
    [​IMG]
    the car I stole from my brother all the time.. at one time I traded my wrx for a month with my brother.. best part is that all 6'1" of me stick out the windshield so I gotta either duck or look over the windshield to see the traffic light. This car made me wanna get rid of my car and buy a lightweight RWD car for a very long time, and then, my car got paid off haha. oh, dont worry about the tail-lights.
    [​IMG]

2. mokinbird87

eventually my brother ended up with something a bit more grown up
    [​IMG]
    meanwhile,
    [​IMG]
    headlights done properly. My harness was all messed up so the beam pattern was all off in the beginning, but retrofit source and AllPro helped me get it all figure out.
    [​IMG]
    new tails:
    [​IMG]
    just to see the difference haha
    [​IMG]
    JDMed... (thank you Brandon again for helping me out!)
    [​IMG]
    picked up this, decently rare prodrive grill.
    [​IMG]
    quick wash with the new grill.
    [​IMG]
    new gadget to be installed on the car soon:
    [​IMG]

meeting up with a guy on Friday to grab the ST coilovers so that will be a nice change as well. next on the list would be TIC's front fender brace, group-n motor mount, ALK, sti steering rack, sti control arm, every single bushings in the rear-end, etc. wheel choice I`m thinking of is OZ alleggeritta's in 17x8 (anthracite finish) but it will be quite some time for all those things to be put on the car. eventually I`d like to do the full sti swap but we`ll see. thank you guys for all your inputs on the forum!

3. mokinbird87

oh almost forgot about this haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and my wall of body parts at the moment
    [​IMG]
    how she looks since i got rid of the fogs. chargespeed brake ducts needed perhaps... kind of like this look for now... (flame suit on)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 19, 2012
  4. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

looking good!

5. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

I just sold a nice bugeye last week with a full STi drivetrain. I was so tempted to keep it esp since I only had $2500 in the thing.

Anyways that cluster....is it a JDM one or USDM STi one? I can help you get the temp gauge to work properly if it has one. Cohen got his working as well thanks to me :)

6. mokinbird87

It's an 07 USDM.. If you can get the temp sensor to work that would be fantastic! Actually if you can help me put it on the car haha..

7. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Wirelessly posted (From Your Mom's House!: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.3; en-us; Amaze_4G Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You will need to get an Outside Temp Sensor.

8. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Sure drive 6 hrs to Myrtle Beach and I'll gladly help ya.

9. mokinbird87

ooo damn haha...

10. mokinbird87

damn it!!! the seller just backed out on the coilovers... time to buy bushings then :)

11. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

I regret selling my bug. :(

12. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

how did the offset difference of next to nothing on the saab 17's not work out?

13. mokinbird87

it just never looked as flush as the oem wheels for some reason...

14. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

i thought they looked better

15. mokinbird87

i thought so too initially, but for some reason, they didnt poke out as much as the oem wheels... i have no clue why haha.

16. mokinbird87

sti gauge cluster finally put on the car!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. mokinbird87

patrick's wheels on my car now. eventually will get the OZ Alleggerita's but need something to fit over the brembos that will be going on the car
    [​IMG]
    pretty flush now.. almost poking..
    [​IMG]

18. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Whoring out my old wheels I see. Looks great on your black car if I must say!

19. mokinbird87

oh it was your huh? haha. any idea how much they weigh? couldnt find ANY info on these lol

20. RSConvert

RSConvert ɹǝuɹnʇpɐǝɥ uʞnɟɐɥnɯ ɐ sʇı Supporting Member

They were Coolrex's old wheels...;)

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Yeah back in the day
    [​IMG]

Been forever I can't remember the weight but they were lighter than my old Rotas. They are not Syms but Syms knockoffs. Company called Effect wheels made them. Here's their ebay store: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=effect+rims

22. mokinbird87

sitting at allpro waiting for some new goodies :)

[​IMG]

23. mokinbird87

ONE more day!!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

24. liltoua

liltoua Member

exciting!

25. mokinbird87

rick, i may have to give these back to ya as they dont fit on my car... :(
    [​IMG]

26. crazyazn

crazyazn I like naps Staff Member Supporting Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.0.4; en-us; ThunderBolt Build/IML74K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Interesting. I never knew there was different sized badges

27. mokinbird87

i think it's for an RS? i dunno..

28. mokinbird87

how she sits as of now.
    [​IMG]

29. mokinbird87

major props to Allpro. wouldnt have been possible without them

30. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

nice. tint? painting the side skirts?

31. mokinbird87

I would like to get some tint but I dont want any unwanted attention from police so... yea still debating on that (and I have terrible night vision). I`m also moving to Cali soon so I dunno what the rules are for tint there... it just makes it more complicated.

side skirts, I think i`m really sold on the sti side skirts. I know most people dont like them, but I have a 05 sti rear bumper already so I think it will flow nicely... I`m not too keen on making the car look lower; it's quite low now :eek:hnoes:

32. b reel

b reel Active Member

I'll trade you skirts STI for your WRX

33. pleiades

pleiades Member

are the ST's still set to soft or did you adjust them any ?

34. mokinbird87

deal! what color is your side skirt? PMing you

35. mokinbird87

still on the soft setting. i think the oscillation is happening because of my top hats though not the coilovers. next mods will be replacing old bushings and the top hats

36. josh booth

josh booth Active Member

Wow... Looks good.

37. mokinbird87

thanks bro... really missing that AP right about now haha... gonna have to hold out till i can get a new motor to do any power mods though :naughty:

38. yerrow

yerrow Active Member

39. mokinbird87

Don't feel safe doing power mods on stock everything at 190k miles :)

40. mokinbird87

time for some STI sideskirts oh yea.
    [​IMG]

41. mokinbird87

plasti dip till i get the skirts painted properly haha...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

42. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

43. mokinbird87

44. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

ewww. WRX>STI

45. crazyazn

plastidip?!! damn next thing you'll be doing something crazy like the whole car!!

46. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Hey, you do what you gotta do. To each his own. Personally, I think it looks good, for what it is.

47. mokinbird87

Haha although I've gotten pretty good at it, it's just a temporary thing to mask off the PSM paint underneath.

48. mokinbird87

Meh.. I like the Sti skirts better.. It flows from the front fenders a lot smoother.. The Wrx ones make the car look lower but it just looks tacked on because its just a straight bar..

49. crazyazn

indeed, it works great for the protection and it looks pretty good, tho i'm still looking forward to spring time and peeling it off of my car