supercharger whine

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by Dheim96, Dec 11, 2012.

1. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Under normal driving everything sounds fine. Once I get into the throttle it sounds like I have a freaking supercharger on the car. I've looked under the hood and made sure everything is secure and bolted tight. I haven't added any new parts and it just started happening. Any ideas on what to look for?

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Probably something belt driven going bad:)

3. 07Ltd#767

07Ltd#767 The Neighborhood Drunk

Kakies car was making a sound similar to this, one of the SoK techs heard her driving out and stopped her immediately. The tensioner was going bad, apparently whne the previous owner did the timing belt he didn't replace this part (or the water pump...), it was on the verge of failing.

Probably the most extreme example, but just wanted to throw that out there

4. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I would think that if it was a belt I would hear some kind of whine when I had the hood open. But maybe not.

5. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

Any ideas on how I would go about seeing it is was bad?

6. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I'm moving right down the street from ALLPro this weekend from Gainesville. So, if anything fucks up I can just take it there. But until then...

7. 07Ltd#767

not sure, i thought it was the power steering pump, as she was having issues w/ that at the same time. I would've never guessed it was the tensioner. I think it's probably one of those things you have to experience first to understand, as it had been like that for a few weeks and not a single person recognized it until she drove by one of the techs at work.

8. b reel

b reel Active Member

don't fucking drive it, valves dancing onto tops of pistons is not good for the wallet.

do this first, remove AC belt, remove the pulley and check for excessive play and/or feels rough when you spin it. You will need a 12mm socket and a 12mm wrench. Test drive without pulley and see if noise goes away. IF IT DOES NOT, park the car till you get it to Brandon and have him do a timing belt.

9. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

The power steering pump is also going out. That much I know for sure.

10. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I have to drive it back to Gainesville from Duluth today. Since its my only car parking it will be kind of hard but better/cheaper than a new motor.

11. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

Yeah, if it is the tensioner and it does break, you can say bye bye to the majority of your motor. I would take it to a Suabaru Tech and have them diagnose fix it.

PS - I never said it was a belt..I said it was something belt driven that was failing. So you have a few options...Alternator, PS, AC, Water Pump, TB Tensioner, Timing Belt.

12. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

gotcha.

13. Megadeth2118

Megadeth2118 Member

I agree on the tensioner. My 04 had the same horrid whine and Steven King informed me that the tensioner needed to be replaced. Once I replaced that no more whine.

14. 07Ltd#767

if this is happening, the DEFINITELY park it. PS fluid is some flammable shit, we don't wnat to see a car-b-q on the side of the road.

15. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

When you turn the wheel a lot to the left or right it makes the horrible noise so I'm pretty sure its the ps pump for that. Sounds like I'm going to have to replace a bunch of stuff.

16. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Did you put blinker fluid in the Vortex Turbinator intake?

17. 07Ltd#767

same signals we were getting, especially at low speed. when we had the tensioner replaced, it helped fix a lot of it, though.

18. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

twice

19. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

I have heard that noise...and then no more power steering.

20. Dheim96

Dheim96 Member

I'm going to shoot AllPro a PM to see if they can do it for me. I don't have the time to do it myself since I'm moving this weekend.

21. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

A friend of mine's car was doing that. Removed AC belt and noise stayed. Took front cover off and bearing fell out. One of the idler pullies for the timing belt was destroyed. Luckily we were able to replace it without doing a timing belt job so he could drive the car. 10k miles later I did a full belt and pully replacement for him.

22. Kokopelli

Kokopelli Active Member

My car makes the same noise.

23. atlfire

atlfire New Member

I'm not trying to be a wanker... A/c belts are more of a whe whe whe whe whe whe. Not a whhehehhehehehehehhehehegehhehe. So lets not get this confused. Remember; whe whe whe whe = A/C. Wheehehehehehehehehehe= something other than A/C. I'll be giving a test on this later.

24. superdoughboy4

superdoughboy4 Active Member

wanker