moving to california... should I drive the car or send it

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by mokinbird87, Dec 17, 2012.

1. mokinbird87

mokinbird87 Active Member

has anyone driven across the country? if you have, can I get some advice on this? Also, if you guys know a place that transport cars let me hear some of your experiences. thanks!

2. I drove across country. Went to OR specifically to pick my car up and drove it back here to GA. I did it in 3 days 2 nights by myself.

3. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Aren't you close to 200,000 miles? Ship it or trailer it.

4. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Then the car blew up....lol.

Mokinbird I recall you being at 190K? I'd just ship it. That's a LOT of driving and will wear you out. Are you moving a lot of stuff? If so you can rent a car trailer (a flat trailer not a 2 wheel dollie) and uhaul and carry everything at once.

5. wagunz_pwn

wagunz_pwn Active Member

Sell the car before you leave and get another one out there.

6. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

I moved to Seattle from ATL this time of year about 5 years ago. I shipped the car mostly because I did not want to make a cross county drive in the winter. Do you have all-season tires? The mountain passes can be tricky this time of year.

7. mokinbird87

ha, wish it was that easy :rofl: I plan on keeping the car so that's not an option.

8. mokinbird87

damn.. both my 17" and the oem wheels have summer tires on lol lol I didnt think about that haha.

9. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

ship the car.

10. mokinbird87

yea looking likely... all of them look/sound so sketchy though

11. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

Any reputable company is fine. It just isn't cheap.

12. I cannot believe that no one has said the obligatory "just leave it here. With me" joke.

Seriously though.

Leave it here with me. I know how to treat a bugeye. :D

13. Meant to add:

You can always take your time with driving it over there. People take road trips all the time by choice. You could see the worlds largest ball of twine. Or find the Dinosaur you can sit in and watch the sun come up from his mouth like in Pee-Wee's big adventure.

14. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

that's what this is for:

[​IMG]

:p

15. Jake

Jake Active Member

i got quotes to ship a car from Austin, TX to Savannah, GA they were anywhere from $650-1000. so, double that at least. and yeah they are all sketch. DONT SIGN UP ON THE CAR TRANSPORT WEBSITES. they will call you non-stop for 3months. and yeah they are all pretty much sketch unless you use a premium company that owns their own trucks and drivers, most companies sub out your transport to whoever happens to be in the area at the time, so you never know what you're getting.

i would honestly tow it behind a Uhaul on a flatbed, probably a little cheaper and a LOT safer in my opinion (as long as you're ok with a big truck and trailer).

also, not sure what your job situation is, but ask your employer, they might reimburse you most, if not all of your moving fees.

16. mokinbird87

i think i would feel more comfortable driving my car over snow/curvy roads vs a uhaul truck with my car being towed behind it... but either way i`m gonna send it and not drive my car as there are too many variables that can happen on a 190k car haha.

17. oh nice, are you moving to socal or norcal? i prefer to drive since i never really ventured across the country before like that. ill be moving to norcal in the summer and plan on driving out there

18. mokinbird87

moving to Irvine ;)

19. Trancetto

Trancetto Active Member

Would you be interested in selling?

20. SonicBoom

SonicBoom Active Member

Shipped my ex's car here from Vegas.. it was around $700... Didn't have any issues. Can dig up the name if you want me to....

21. mokinbird87

If you can, that would be awesome.

22. mokinbird87

Depends on the price of course :)

23. Eco Auto Clean

Eco Auto Clean Active Member

I drove 1800 miles to Phx Az recently with a partner of mine. Made it in about 28 hours non stop. Quite an experience for sure. You will absolute mush for a few days due to drive and time change though. Make a trip/experience out of it - if time allows

24. mokinbird87

any particular difficulties during the drive?

25. Eco Auto Clean

Texas. That is a long freaking haul. Also had to go through border patrol.
    Just make sure you're prepared. Stop only when needed - bring food/snacks etc.

26. b reel

b reel Active Member

just follow a rapper's or Willie Nelson's tour bus, that way border patrol will be searching it as you drive on through

27. CelticPride

CelticPride Banned

Wow border patrol working that far up or were you somewhat close to the border like I-10?

28. Eco Auto Clean

I believe it was i-10....Cant remember if it was tx or new mexico...creepy either way..lol

29. Berzerklo

Berzerklo Active Member

Is your DP catted? Cali has crazy emissions.

30. b reel

b reel Active Member

31. b reel

b reel Active Member

if not a permanent move just keep the car registered here. You can have a C.A.R.B. emissions test done and file an Out of Area Exemption.