Bike Rack - Top Mount or Trunk Mount

Discussion in 'Modifications & DIY how-to' started by jautry27, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Ok, so here is my question. I am getting back into off-road biking again, but I was wondering if I should go with a top-mount rack or a trunk mount? I know this going to be a permanent hobby for me, so ideally, I would think a top mount would be for me, BUTTTTT, a lot of places I go have parking that is in a parking deck, and I will be taking my bike with me to a lot of places. So, with that said, I'm sort of concerned about height clearance. A trunk mount wouldn't be so permanent. Also, maybe get a hitch put on and use one of those?

Just trying to get some opinions from people who have tried them...

2. integroid

integroid Supporting Member

I would never trust a trunk mount with any of my bikes. I would either get a roof mount or a hitch mount rack.

3. jautry27

jautry27 Member

Probably end up getting a hitch mount, mostly because I am concerned about the height clearance of a top mount, but I'm open to reasonable opinions as to why I should choose one over the other.

4. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Definitely go for the hitch mount.

5. slowwrx

slowwrx Supporting Member

I personally hate roof racks. Its to easy to drive into something with them.

I like the hitch mount racks, easy to remove and the current gen ones work well.

These are my favorite, a buddy just bought one and its amazing in every way. Built in cable lock and repair stand.

http://kuatracks.com/en/products/bike/the-nv/

6. jautry27

jautry27 Member

OK, so that answers my main question. Now for the secondary part. Anyone know where to get them put on? Does All Pro do it? Whenever I get my tax returns, I plan on getting the whole set up.

7. Matt

Matt Think before you post Staff Member Supporting Member

Uhaul

8. integroid

I have a Kuat NV like Matt lnked you too. It is by far the nicest hitch mount rack I have ever seen. The one bad thing is that they are expensive. If you add up everything that it comes with, the pricing isnt really that far off from a Yakima/Thule.

You can install the rack yourself once you have the Hitch installed. You can put a Subaru motor together but you are scared to mount a hitch onto your car that takes 4 bolts?

9. b reel

b reel Active Member

10. integroid

PS-cheapest place to buy a hitch would be Advance Auto Parts. go over to slickdeals and get a coupon code plus you usually get free shipping on orders over $99.

11. jautry27

jautry27 Member

If it's that easy. I didn't know what entailed putting it on. When I put the engine together, I pulled out a manual, and went at it until I was done.

12. integroid

Yeah, I saw a guy with a $20k S-Works McLaren Venge using that rack on a 997 GT2. Scary but I havent heard of any complaints with them.

13. slowwrx

If you do get a hitch rack, talk to your insurance company about who covers the rack and bikes. Mine freaked out when I told them the bikes were worth 5 times what the car was.

14. b reel

b reel Active Member

Got rear ended leaving a race and it was her insurance company and the claims adjuster that freaked the fuck out. The bikes weren't mine so that made matters even worse. Total came out to $13K and all my truck needed was a bumper and few hours on the frame table.

15. BlackAndBlue

BlackAndBlue Member

Just about everyone I know that has had a roof mount forgot about them and drove into something...

Hitch is the way to go

16. b reel

b reel Active Member

I think it was Rhode Gear that made the Euro Shuttle 2-bike trunk mount. Wish someone would come back with that design again.

17. I have a hitch mount on my forester which was very easy to install. Best investment since it is easy to remove when I dont have my bike on. Using a Thule bike rack

18. rsutton1223

rsutton1223 Obsessed Supporting Member

I have had just about all of them at one point in time. Yakima, Thule, Kuat, 1Up...etc.

I did the roof rack from Yakima because...at the time...there was not a hitch for my car. Ideally, I would use a One Up rack (http://www.1upusa.com/) in the hitch. They are much more compact and very well built.

I also have a balloon adder on my homeowners insurance (you can also get it on renters) for the bikes should anything ever happen to them. Some of mine are irreplaceable and I often have several bikes around that don't actually belong to me so it was important for us to do that for my bikes just like we do for my wife's engagement ring. Auto insurance does not cover that on your end if it is your fault. If someone hits you, they have to replace all damaged goods just as if they would have run into the fence at your house...but from all of the research we did...your home owners insurance actually covers items that are not permanently attached to your car.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  19. WRboXer

WRboXer Active Member

Ive had all of the above as well. I went roof because i am lowered and have bad bottoming out issues with my driver way with a hitch rack. However the hitch mounted racks are typically cheaper, easier to use, and less cumbersome.

20. slowwrx

I should have said I added mine to my renters insurance and not my car.

Its cheap as well.

21. Willsanches

Willsanches Member

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  22. b reel

b reel Active Member

refer to post #9:coolugh:

23. Willsanches

Willsanches Member